we have a girl

Old June 11th 07, 05:23 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Default we have a girl

"Boliath" wrote in message
I just want to say THANK YOU. I went into labor Friday night and the
doc said that I was going to have to have a c section. We live in a
very small town had to wait for the other doc's to get to the
hospital. Bethany would not wait. She was folded in half buttom first.
But I had her the doc could not believe it. The other doctors showed
up 5 minutes late. We are all doing good she is 4lb 15oz. 20 in long.
Now I am working a getting my milk to come in. Any hints to help would
be great. Again thank you. I was very scared.

Congratulations and welcome to baby Bethany, what a beautiful name.

Your milk will come in, in the meantime Bethany's stomach is only about
the size of a marble, your colostrum is what she needs. Get her on the
breast as often as you can, eat and drink well yourself and have faith in
your body.

I think that is the absolute best advice anyone could give a new mother.
It's so easy get get pushed off track by doctors and nurses who are
expecting the tiny newborn (and REALLY tiny, in the case of Bethany) to eat
ounces and ounces at a time, right out of the gate. Gives new breastfeeding
moms a complex and makes them doubt that they can produce enough to
adequately feed their baby.

It's worth saying again. Have faith in your body. Baby's tummy is tiny at
this point, and you are making enough to feed baby. As you make more milk,
baby's tummy will grow, and as baby's tummy grows, if she's at the breast a
lot, you'll make more milk. It's a wonderful glorious circle!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! --
www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1, Password:
Guest
Password

Old June 11th 07, 09:03 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_2_]

I think that is the absolute best advice anyone could give a new mother.
It's so easy get get pushed off track by doctors and nurses who are
expecting the tiny newborn (and REALLY tiny, in the case of Bethany) to
eat ounces and ounces at a time, right out of the gate. Gives new
breastfeeding moms a complex and makes them doubt that they can produce
enough to adequately feed their baby.

you're spot on Jamie, excessive feed volume in the first few days of life
has been cited as a cause of obesity, but I don't think it's been massively
researched, it sounds vaguely plausible though, if you artificially inflate
the volume of the stomach!

Somewhere I read about premature babies and the amount they were given to
eat and on the first day it was something like 1ml per feed, increasing by
1ml a feed each day in the very early days. Then, elsewhere, more recently,
I read about feeding protocols for babies who were either at risk, or had
suffered from low blood sugar and they were suggesting 60ml per feed!!! For
a full term baby it's probably not that far off the 1ml of a premature baby,
I syringe fed DS and we gave 1ml, then offered the breast, so total feed
would have been tiny!

Something else I read on the internet recently was about babies with
primordial dwarfisim, they are small, but in proportion and often weigh 2 or
3lb at a full term birth, but it's so rare, they are not diagnosed and are
fed as if they are severely growth retarded and later severe failure to
thrive and often have horrendous problems with vomitting and it's only when
the doctors realise the condition and that no amount of food will make them
grow and cut back on the food that there stomach problems are resolved.

In some cultures, I can't recall whether it's hindu or muslim, or a
geographical area that covers both, historically they do not give the babies
colostrum and initiate breastfeeding on day 3, before western medicine
interfered, they would have given nothing, or maybe a few drops of water
(probably with some herbs or tea, I'm not sure exactly), it's not ideal, but
I do wonder whether 2oz bottles of formula every 3hrs is any better.

Cheers

Anne

Old June 12th 07, 05:08 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Elle

On Jun 11, 12:23 pm, "Jamie Clark" wrote:

I think that is the absolute best advice anyone could give a new mother.
It's so easy get get pushed off track by doctors and nurses who are
expecting the tiny newborn (and REALLY tiny, in the case of Bethany) to eat
ounces and ounces at a time, right out of the gate. Gives new breastfeeding
moms a complex and makes them doubt that they can produce enough to
adequately feed their baby.

It's worth saying again. Have faith in your body. Baby's tummy is tiny at
this point, and you are making enough to feed baby. As you make more milk,
baby's tummy will grow, and as baby's tummy grows, if she's at the breast a
lot, you'll make more milk. It's a wonderful glorious circle!

Totally agree here -- my hospital had a chart on the wall showing the
relative size of the baby's stomach in their early days. I think on
day 1 it was the size of a chickpea, on day 2 or so a cherry and day
three'ish a walnut. That is not very big! When I see people feeding
actual bottles to their newborns I wonder where all that milk is
going. Also I always laugh at those baby shows where they come home
from the hospital the day following the birth, and they are mixing up
bottles because "mom's milk hasn't come in yet" -- didn't anyone ever
tell them is isn't supposed to be in yet?? So much misinformation on
those shows.

Anyways congrats on baby Bethany. Your body birthed her just fine
despite her breech position, it will also make the milk she needs.
Just keep her on the boob as much as possible, in a few days you will
be wondering how to turn the milk off you'll have so much!

Elle

The foster mother of a 16-month-old girl who died less than a monthafter she was placed in the home spoke to her husband at work "seven or eighttimes" before calling 911 on the morning the girl collapsed, a detectivetestified Tuesday fx Spanking 0 April 18th 07 03:06 PM
The foster mother of a 16-month-old girl who died less than a monthafter she was placed in the home spoke to her husband at work "seven or eighttimes" before calling 911 on the morning the girl collapsed, a detectivetestified Tuesday fx Foster Parents 0 April 18th 07 03:06 PM
man girl 莫野 General 0 April 25th 06 03:32 PM
LITTLE GIRL NEEDS HELP Please_help Kids Health 0 April 10th 06 09:59 PM
It's a Girl ! julie MT Pregnancy 12 March 8th 06 09:05 PM