I must be the worst mother on MKP

Old October 29th 04, 03:30 PM
Laura Bennett

I do it the same you way as you do Jamie, but my MIL fills up the sink like
you talked about. Nothing against anyone who does this, just against they
way my MIL does it . Like you said, she'll fill both sides of the sink
with (barely) warm water, making only one side soapy. She has no order in
which she does dishes, so there's as much a chance that she'll wash all the
greasy pans first as there is last. But it doesn't really matter anyway,
b/c it doesn't take many dishes to make that nasty film on top of the water
(yes, both sides). AND she has used the same wash cloth for as long as I've
known her, although she does wash it when she's done with it. Yup! In that
same nasty water!

She and I had it out a few years ago about this and many other things
similar, which actually turned out to be a good thing b/c now she nows my
opinion about it so I don't feel bad about inspecting a cup or plate at her
house before I use it and rewashing it. I try not to be too hard on her in
my mind though b/c she did only learn to use the magic of indoor plumbing
about 10 years ago. And I doubt she'll never get out of the habit of saying
"I'm going out" which means "I'm going to the bathroom." LOL, she is as
country as country can be.

Laura
Finley born 11/17/1998
???? due 04/03/05

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
Okay, so this is making me curious -- how do you all hand wash your

dishes?
I think I'm the only person in my family who does it this way, and now I'm
wondering if I'm the only person on the planet...

Rather than fill the sink with soapy water, I squirt dishsoap directly on
the scrubby sponge, and then soap up each individual item, be it a glass,
utensil, plate, etc. After they are soaped and scrubbed, I rinse them and
put them into the rack to dry. I add more soap often, and always start
washing the least dirty/greasy items first, so the sponge doesn't get
clogged with gunk. I always do the pots and pans last, and add more soap

as
I go. The only time I put any water in the sink is if I have a large item
that needs to soak -- other than that, I'll fill the specific pan or bowl
that needs soaking, and let it soak while I wash the other stuff. I

believe
that my dishes get cleaner this way, and it seems to go very quickly. I
know people who always have soapy water in their sinks, but I get heebed

out
by cold dirty soapy water. Blech.

So, anyone else out there wash dishes in any other way?
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Fill sink with very hot soapy water. Put bottles in. Scrub each one out.
Scrub all nipples and caps. Yes, I used a bottle brush. Yes, I used

soap.
But to get them clean enough for my standards, it took 45 minutes to

wash
the 18 or so bottles he used in two days.

Jenrose

Old October 29th 04, 03:37 PM
Naomi Pardue

Okay, so this is making me curious -- how do you all hand wash your
dishes? I think I'm the only person in my family who does it this
way, and now I'm wondering if I'm the only person on the planet...

I don't own a dishwasher. Never have. Wash dishes by hand all the time.

I typically run water over the dishes when I put them in the sink, and put a
little water in the glasses, to give anything stuck on a chance to get wet.
Then, when I go to actually wash them, I just soap up the scrubby, soap several
dishes (number depends on how dirty they are and how much room I have to stack
the soaped dishes. When I have a bunch of stuff soaped, I then turn on the
water and rinse them, putting them in the dish drainer to dry. For a really
dirty pot, I'll spend some time on that one pot, usually risning several times
and then scrubbing/soaping again until it's clean.

Naomi
Old October 29th 04, 04:32 PM
Clisby

Jenrose wrote:

Washing one bottle is trivial. Washing a dozen or two is maybe not such a
big deal. But getting nuk nipples clean with that stupid little nipple
brush, making sure there's no residue on teh insides of the bottles, etc...
it *does* take time.

Did you flip the nipples inside-out before washing? It's a lot easier
to get them clean that way - you don't need the little nipple brush.

Clisby
Old October 29th 04, 04:34 PM
Clisby

Sue wrote:

However, another woman that's done both may feel the opposite.

Nan

I did both with all three and bottle feeding was easier to me also. )

I've done both and I think bottle-feeding is easier, too - but I didn't
have to be out of the house with the baby all day. If I had, I'm sure
I'd have thought breastfeeding was easier.

Clisby
Old October 29th 04, 05:07 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Jamie Clark wrote:
So, anyone else out there wash dishes in any other way?

Yup. When I handwashed, I had two sinks, so one was soap, the other was
rinse.

When I only had one sink, then I did it your way. I left the water
running low and I rinsed and put stuff onto the rack immediately. The
sink was full of the dirty stuff (usually) so I never let the clean
stuff go in there - I just rinsed over top of the dirty stuff (which
kind of helped get the dirty stuff a little cleaner).

These days, I refuse to handwash, unless absolutely necessary. My motto
is that if it doesn't survive the diswasher, then it is worthless to me.
;-) I typically only handwash stuff that doesn't fit, that has
electrical components, or that I need right away.
Old October 29th 04, 05:13 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Sue wrote:

My mom would fill the sink with
hot and soapy water and wash them that way, but I feel like they are sitting
in dirty, yucky water and hence wash them separately with my soap-filled
scruby.

Here's one thing I have always found funny. Some people get grossed out
by the water. I don't. If it's dirty, I change it. What grosses *me*
out is the fact that some people use the same cloth or sponge over and
over and over and over.... ;-) I need a fresh one (and I mean *fresh*)
every single time I do dishes (which thankfully is nearly never, now).
I used to hate watching DH do dishes because he would always grab the
same disgusting sponge, even if I tried to hide it. YUCK. I would
sneak around and throw them out and replace them when he wasn't looking,
because he would never do it. He would only do it when they started
falling apart.

I had to go without a dishwasher for 5 years, and, well, *never again*
will I let that happen. ;-)
Old October 29th 04, 05:27 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Laura Bennett wrote:

I do it the same you way as you do Jamie, but my MIL fills up the sink like
you talked about. Nothing against anyone who does this, just against they
way my MIL does it . Like you said, she'll fill both sides of the sink
with (barely) warm water, making only one side soapy. She has no order in
which she does dishes, so there's as much a chance that she'll wash all the
greasy pans first as there is last. But it doesn't really matter anyway,
b/c it doesn't take many dishes to make that nasty film on top of the water
(yes, both sides). AND she has used the same wash cloth for as long as I've
known her, although she does wash it when she's done with it. Yup! In that
same nasty water!

Oh, oh, I know someone who is worse! Try this: she *saves the water
and reuses it for more dishes later*!!! I won't say who this is,
because it's someone in my family. Talk about GROSS, heh heh. She must
have strong hands, though. The dishes always looked perfectly clean and
didn't have a smell, so she must have gotten them clean just with
serious friction. ;-) Oh, and she never rinsed, as far as I could
tell. She just wiped them dry. She grew up in a different day and age
(let's just say that she has seen war), and places a much higher value
on reusing things. I admire this, actually, but I can't bring myself to
wash dishes that way. ;-) My hands aren't strong enough, obviously.
Old October 29th 04, 05:35 PM
Nikki

Clisby wrote:

Did you flip the nipples inside-out before washing? It's a lot easier
to get them clean that way - you don't need the little nipple brush.

Clisby

That is what a I did. I used play-tex and they might be more flippable :-)

--
Nikki

Old October 29th 04, 05:38 PM
Elle

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message ...

So, anyone else out there wash dishes in any other way?

I do them exactly like you. Right down to shuddering with disgust over
lukewarm dirty dishwater. Especially when there's only a single sink
(like at my work). Rinsing is important, people!

Some say it wastes water but since I only got a dishwasher a few
months ago I am very practiced if I do say so myself and get through
dishes *very* quickly.

When it comes to pans I am a scrubber, not a soaker. My husband,
however, is a soaker. Sigh.

Elle
due Feb 2005