I must be the worst mother on MKP

Old October 30th 04, 07:19 AM
Kelly

(sigh) trade offs, eh?

Kelly

"Leslie" wrote in message
One thing about where I live is that several of the really nice homes

around
*are* on a busy street so it isn't rare for someone to live on one. One
main busy street is still very residential for being a main thoroughfare.

We have some streets like that as well, with mansions on it and all. I

try not
to complain about my busy street because the fact that the house is on one

is
what makes us able to afford it! The same house would cost twice as much

in
the neighborhood one mile away that is all quiet, and that would be out of

the
question. I always wanted a Victorian house but thought it was a dream

that
would never come true!

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old October 30th 04, 07:21 AM
Kelly

well, don't be too jealous. It makes it seem all to easy to walk to get
coffee when it is a block from the school bus stop! I walk or ride my bike
(yes, still) to the hospital where I work, which is also the hospital I will
have the baby at. However, I *will not* walk/ride in labor unless it is
snowing

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Leslie" wrote in message
From my house I have a choice of 8-9 coffee places (of which
several are high end corporate coffee joints) and 5 large parks within 3
miles. Sadly, the coffee places are within a mile from my house

Oh, I am jealous of you! The only coffee within walking distance is at

the gas
station down the hill. :-) I forgot to mention, however, that I can walk

to my
OBs office and to the hospital if I should wish! (I don't see myself

walking
there in labor, but I have walked there many times to visit people!)

Did you
move from the acreage to your new house within city limits? That is

neat.

Funnily enough, the other house was in the city limits as well, and was
actually only about a mile farther from downtown, just in a more bucolic
direction. :-)

Old October 30th 04, 07:24 AM
Kelly

Gasp. I was born in Roseburg, moved to Eugene, and kept going north to the
"Big" city. Left Bluegene, I mean Eugene, in 1980.

yeah! A fellow pacnw-er.

My best friend from Jr high and Highschool lives in Eugene and we love to go
visit-I can't believe how many things have changed. We always have to pop
into Reed and Cross (my friends' mom has worked there for decades)

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Jenrose" wrote in message

"Kelly" wrote in message
I grew up in Eugene.

Did you or are you "new" to the area?

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

Moved here in 1994... was in Roseburg before that.

Jenrose

Old October 30th 04, 07:26 AM
Kelly

okay, it took you five, yes *five* sentences to give the dimenision of your
house! Heehee

I love real estate and am a nerd about it. My friend and I check out all the
different houses on our run (well, walks now) and compare the sizes,
streets, price, etc.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
It's a 4 bedroom, 3.5 bath home, with living room, dining room, family

room,
kitchen, breakfast room, loft (another family room type set up) guest room
downstairs with it's own bath, office, the two kids bedrooms upstairs and
the master bedroom suite, which takes up the whole back of the house
upstairs. We basically live in the back of the house -- master bedroom

bath
upstairs, and breakfast room, kitchen and family room downstairs. Plus

the
office and Taylor's room of course.

When we moved in, there were just two of us, and the cat, of course. The
dining room and living room don't get used, but I like having them.
Taylor's new room hasn't been moved into yet, she's still in the nursery,
and we have Addie in with us. Once the kids are older, we'll convert the
loft into playroom space, so that will get used more.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,

Password:
Guest
Password

"Kelly" wrote in message
What do you do with all that space? Our last house was 2800sq feet and

felt that it was *ample* for the five of us. A friend of ours lives in

historic mansion nearby and they close off a floor or two We joke

that
our family will secretly move in and they'd never know!

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

Old October 30th 04, 01:19 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:13:53 -0400, Vicky Bilaniuk
wrote:

Sue wrote:

My mom would fill the sink with
hot and soapy water and wash them that way, but I feel like they are sitting
in dirty, yucky water and hence wash them separately with my soap-filled
scruby.

Here's one thing I have always found funny. Some people get grossed out
by the water. I don't. If it's dirty, I change it.

Surely people rinse. I fill one sink with hot soapy water, which gets
changed, like you say, when its dirty, and the rinse them using hot
water over the other sink.

Using extra soap all the time is incredibly bad for the environment
(water, OTOH, is not an issue round here).

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7th May 2003, 17 hours. http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com
EDD 11th March 2005 (another boy!)
Old October 30th 04, 01:38 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:59:27 -0700, "Joybelle"
wrote:

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
Okay, so this is making me curious -- how do you all hand wash your

dishes?
I think I'm the only person in my family who does it this way, and now I'm
wondering if I'm the only person on the planet...

I'm curious how many put your dishes in the dishwasher.

I *never ever* put dishes in my dishwasher.

;-)

Megan
Old October 30th 04, 01:42 PM
Buzzy Bee

wrote:

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
Okay, so this is making me curious -- how do you all hand wash your

dishes?
I think I'm the only person in my family who does it this way, and now I'm
wondering if I'm the only person on the planet...

I'm curious how many put your dishes in the dishwasher. Do you rinse the
dishes before you put them in?

As a sensible answer, from discussions on another group, I think a
lot of European dishwashers tend to use less water and detergents
which aren't as harsh. So a lot of people here give dishes which have
quite a bit of left over food on them a quick rinse, especially if its
going to be a couple of days before the machine is run.

I haven't lived in a house with a dishwasher for over 10 years, but I
know that we ocassionally got problems with dried on stuff if we
didn't rinse first, but then we usually went 3-4 days between loads.
I'm betting if the machine gets run each day its not a problem since
nothing gets dried on.

Megan
Old October 30th 04, 03:23 PM
Mary Gordon

We have a dishwasher at home, none at our summer cottage. With newer
dishwashers, you don't have to prerinse the dishes. Occasionally,
something won't get really clean (usually something like a casserole
dish) and you have to hand wash it later, but the newer ones
essentially have their own little garbarators in them, so they can
deal with chunks of food (sorry to be gross!) which was the original
problem necessitating prerinsing.

We currently have a newer Maytag. They have improved the technology a
lot. Mine also is higher top to bottom, so bigger pots and serving
dishes fit in there no problem.

There are some things you can't or shouldn't put into dishwashers.
Anything crystal is a no-no, since the dishwasher soap will etch the
soft glass, and they get cloudy...and it can't be fixed (as hubbie
discovered when he put a cut lead crystal sugar bowl of my later
mother's in the dishwasher...ack!!)

My good dishes are dishwasher safe, but fine china isn't always okay
for the dishwasher, and anything heirloom etc. forget it. My mother in
law had some old Crown Derby and there is no way I would have put any
of that stuff in the dishwasher. Another reason to store away old
china, in my books. I actually did just put away my Royal Doulton
because I broke a single teacup and had to special order a replacement
for 50 bucks. I decided that was IT, and I went and bought some
inexpensive but attractive dishes to use for special occasions. The
bonus for that is that for less than $200 Canadian, I was able to get
service for 16, which is more like it when we have family gatherings.
The table looks much nicer with matching china for everyone.

You also have to be very careful about silverware and dishwashers. I
have sterling service for 8 (now stored away in favour of stainless
because 8 place settings is not enough for any occasion for our
family). Despite what you may hear, you CAN put sterling silver
flatware in the dishwasher as long as you don't put any stainless at
the same time that may touch the silver. There is an electrochemical
reaction between the stainless and the silver and whatever the heck is
in dishwasher soap that makes semi-permanent spots on the silver.
However, if you keep the two metals totally separate, no problem. When
I was using my silver, I'd run a load with the silver and NO stainless
at all in the same load, and it worked fine.

Mary G.
Mom of 3
Old October 30th 04, 08:40 PM
Christine

I am lost in this thread..;(
But I do remember somewhere in here someone said to scrub the shower
while =91=91in the shower=92=92 It's the best idea..;-) I've been doing
it..;-))
with shampoo too..;-))

Ok, another one, take a dryer sheet, any kind, and when your done with
it in the dryer, use it to wipe off any glass, ( although I dont suppose
many of us have glass top tables )..but anything glass, it really works
great! (use only after it comes out of the dryer )