mindy wants a glass fairie...

Old August 6th 03, 08:43 PM
Sherrilynn Pompeo

Default mindy wants a glass fairie...

Hi all,

Well, my daughter, Mindy 16, has gotten into collecting "unique and
original glass art", as she puts it. Most of this "glass art" is
fairies, or other creatures with wings and such, anything, uh, ODD (as
I put it!). Her birthday is coming up and I'm wandering if anyone can
suggest a website (or a location in the San Francisco area) that makes
unique glass objects. she doesn't like to have something that other
people have. (can you imagine the horror!)

So any recommendations would be great.

Thanks!
Sherrilynn
Old August 6th 03, 10:18 PM
Ali's Daddie

"Sherrilynn Pompeo" wrote in message
om...
| Hi all,
|
| Well, my daughter, Mindy 16, has gotten into collecting "unique and
| original glass art", as she puts it. Most of this "glass art" is
| fairies, or other creatures with wings and such, anything, uh, ODD (as
| I put it!). Her birthday is coming up and I'm wandering if anyone can
| suggest a website (or a location in the San Francisco area) that makes
| unique glass objects. she doesn't like to have something that other
| people have. (can you imagine the horror!)
|
| So any recommendations would be great.
|
| Thanks!
| Sherrilynn

Well, if by "glass art" you mean bongs. Any headshop or smoke shop will have
what you want.

Basically, any of the "scary shops" that sell black lights, velvet
blacklight art, etc.. will have what you want. And most will happily special
order or special make anything you request. Just make sure you call it
"Handblown glass art" or "specialized glass art" because if you mention what
they really are, or what they are really used for, you will be asked to
leave.

Most of my family are stoners, so I have been forced my whole life to listen
to the ins and outs lol.

--
LES!

Daddie to Alegra Lee. May 25th 2003!
"Daddie's Little Diva"

before you reply to me via email, please remove your hat
YourHatDaddie at bonbon.net

Old August 7th 03, 04:49 PM
Ali's Daddie

"dejablues" wrote in message
| Um...are you stoned? I don't think a water pipe was quite what she had in
| mind. I work for a small chain of gift shops and from looking through the
| tons of catalogs we get...

LOL!

I was kidding! Geez! The way it was worded, it seemed like the OP was
actually talking about this particular type of glass art ;-)

YourHatDaddie at bonbon.net

Old August 7th 03, 04:50 PM
Ali's Daddie

"chiam margalit" wrote in message

| This definately wins the most bizarre response of the year on
| misc.kids. WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Been hitting the old
| bong yourself, Les?
|
| The woman is looking for glass art for her 16 YO daughter and you're
| suggesting she go into head shops and buy her a bong or glass pipe? Oh
| my goodness.... that's sane...NOT.

Again, I say, I was kidding!...

However, it did look like thats what the OP was suggesting when I read it.

YourHatDaddie at bonbon.net

Old August 7th 03, 05:25 PM
Ali's Daddie

"Nan" wrote in message
| On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:50:26 -0600, "Ali's Daddie"
| wrote:
|

| "chiam margalit" wrote in message

| |
| | This definately wins the most bizarre response of the year on
| | misc.kids. WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Been hitting the old
| | bong yourself, Les?
| |
| | The woman is looking for glass art for her 16 YO daughter and you're
| | suggesting she go into head shops and buy her a bong or glass pipe? Oh
| | my goodness.... that's sane...NOT.
| |

| Again, I say, I was kidding!...
|
| However, it did look like thats what the OP was suggesting when I read
it.

| Well yanno some folks just need to see those smilie thingies to
| understand a joke ;-)
|
| Nan

Very true...

and of late (on the rare time that I post) I have "cut back" my use because
I was told that my emoticon use was obnoxious.. sigh I just can't win LOL.
;-)

YourHatDaddie at bonbon.net

Old August 7th 03, 08:21 PM
Bev Brandt

"Ali's Daddie" wrote in message ...
"Sherrilynn Pompeo" wrote in message
om...
| Hi all,
|
| Well, my daughter, Mindy 16, has gotten into collecting "unique and
| original glass art", as she puts it. Most of this "glass art" is
| fairies, or other creatures with wings and such, anything, uh, ODD (as
| I put it!). Her birthday is coming up and I'm wandering if anyone can
| suggest a website (or a location in the San Francisco area) that makes
| unique glass objects. she doesn't like to have something that other
| people have. (can you imagine the horror!)
|
| So any recommendations would be great.
|
| Thanks!
| Sherrilynn

Well, if by "glass art" you mean bongs. Any headshop or smoke shop will have
what you want.

You need to get out more. As a budding "glass artist" myself, I can
tell you that the concept of "glass art" envelopes much, much more
than just smoking erm...utensils.

Hm. Or perhaps I need to get out more. When I first started down my
glass road, I had no idea that people acutally made bongs from glass.
I made beads first...then kilnworked plates...I'll be taking a glass
blowing class this fall. No plans to make bongs. Or adult "toys,"
another glass eye-opener for me.

To the OP, would beads do? Look around the 'net or in your area for
"lampworkers" or "flameworkers." These are people who make beads and I
bet some make fairies and other winged characters. A local bead store
might know of a lampworker or two in your area. You could "comission"
a bead or even a little standalone fairy.

I don't know this woman at all, but I have her site bookmarked:
http://www.dragonbeads.com/dragonettes.html These would make cute
jewelry for the fairy- and dragon-lover!

If you want to go the glass bead route, look on ebay and/or post to
rec.crafts.beads.

Good luck! My childhood love of glass and my little menagerie of glass
animals has come back to haunt me in my late 30s. Now I'm hooked on
creating all sorts of "glass art." (Well, I guess not *all* sorts, see
above. ;-) )

- Bev