Another example of late U/S being way off

Old May 20th 04, 11:54 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default Another example of late U/S being way off

My cousin's wife just had her second baby a couple of months ago. She
had gone through her pregnacy wondering if there was a chance for a
successful VBAC. She had had a bad experience with her first C/S -
she'd reacted to the drugs that went into her spinal and broken out in
a horrible itchy rash, and it had really soured the birth experience,
which was otherwise quite nice.

But she was very nervous about it. Her first baby was HUGE (10 lbs 10
oz) and she has a borderline narrow pelvis (every healthcare provider
she has seen has told her that - and the women in her family tend
towards c-sections because the narrow pelvis issue). She was feeling
like the new baby was also huge, and her fundal height was typically 4
cm ahead of her dates.

So when she was trying to make the final decision - attempt a VBAC, or
schedule a C, they did a late-term U/S, and it estimated the baby was
over 11 pounds. They went ahead and scheduled the C, which I suspect
was the right decision either way - she wasn't confident of her body's
ability to birth a baby, and I think she would need that confidence -
or perhaps determination--for the VBAC to work.

Anyway, the baby ended up being just over 9 1/2 pounds at birth, and
there was LOTS of amniotic fluid - which explains why her fundal
height was so far ahead. She did talk about her concerns with her OB,
who explained that they used a different mix of drugs in the epidural,
and she wasn't likely to have a repeat of the rash. The good news is
that everything went beautifully - and no itchy rash. Recovery was a
bit more difficult this time around, but the birth was very, very
nice, and their daughter is healthy and perfect.

So in this particular case, the U/S was a pound and a half off. (They
were surprised, too - the late term U/S that they had had with their
older daughter had estimated her weight to within a few ounces)

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old May 21st 04, 10:41 PM
Jill

"Cathy Weeks" wrote
she has a borderline narrow pelvis (every healthcare provider
she has seen has told her that - and the women in her family tend
towards c-sections because the narrow pelvis issue).

During my labor, the midwife told me the baby didn't have room to come out,
which didn't make sense to me since I don't have a narrow pelvis- not that I
guess you can tell if there's room for baby by looking at someone's hips
from the outside etc.....but, when the OB delivered her, he told the midwife
there was plenty of room for the baby to come out, she was just stuck.

It's so confusing, all the conflicting advice and opinions etc, even from
drs.....