Placenta attachment causing bleeding (?) vs. Blighted Ovum... Questions (m/c ment.)

Old May 20th 04, 03:22 PM
Ilse Witch

Default Placenta attachment causing bleeding (?) vs. Blighted Ovum... Questions (m/c ment.)

On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:27:52 -0400, Melody wrote:

I won't have the results from todays HCG until tomorrow afternoon. If it is
a blighted ovum how long will the HCG continue to rise? What should it be at
by now? My midwife will be unavailable until Monday, the lab tech is calling
with the results so I would like to have some idea on how to interpret them.

Melody, I am in the middle of dealing with blighted ovum. Here's my hCG
levels: 5/11 1004 (5w5d), 5/13 1390 (6w), 5/17 1914 (6w3d). It is rising,
but not nearly as fast as yours. If you still don't feel confident, try to
sit it out until you are almost 8 weeks along. At that point, the u/s will
definitely show everything, including a heartbeat, if all is well. If you
go earlier, there is still a big chance they cannot find the embryo and
you will have to come back for another, plus you'll have to deal with a
lot of stress.

Melody (driving myself crazy)

Stop, please! I know how scary it can be, believe me. I was like that in
my first pregnancy, and it never changes... Do yourself a favour, and try
to relax. I'm not meaning to sound harsh, but really, things for you are
looking so well! With my first pregnancy I spotted brown blood for weeks
and delivered a healthy son. With my first m/c I didn't spot at all, and
things went wrong anyway (also blighted ovum, but no hCG values).

Here's some relaxation exercise that always helps me a big deal. Go and
lie flat on your back, arms to your sides, hands on your lower abdomen.
Take deep breaths, in through your nose, out through your mouth. With each
breath, imagine the life force flowing in with the air and illuminating
yourself from the inside, each breath adding a little more shine. Relax
all your muscles one by one. Think about the life growing inside you,
imagine the little baby, who will be healthy and fine. Think of your body
providing the best possible protection and nutrition.

Do this every evening for 10-15 minutes, or when you feel very anxious,
I'm sure it will make you feel a lot better.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (22m)

Old May 20th 04, 04:05 PM
Mary W.

Melody wrote:

"Melody" wrote in message
I was determined to only be 4 to 5 weeks pregnant. My HCG levels went up
appropriately from Monday afternoon (9312) to Tuesday morning (13148).

Thanks so much for all the replies. I'm in a hurry to get to work but will
reply individually later tonight. I did get my new HCG result, it's 68,500.

So, on 5/10 it was 9312
5/11 13148
5/19 68500

Shouldn't it be higher than this if it's supposed to double every 48 hours?
Or is this good?

I think the rule is 48-72 hours for doubling, and its not an exact science.
Thats a good rise though, so I'd certainly be hopefull. Your ultrasound
should tell you more, best of luck. And I would ask to have your
progesterone checked (I might even call today and see if I could
get in, if they didn't check it with your hcg yesterday).

Mary

Old May 20th 04, 04:38 PM
Ilse Witch

Forgot in my previous reply, maybe reading this will help you:
http://tinyurl.com/3yaky

Old May 20th 04, 04:40 PM
Bóliath

Melody wrote:

Also, the midwife mentioned that they will offer me a D&C if it does turn
out to be a blighted ovum. Can anyone give me the risks and benefits of
having one? Is a blighted ovum guaranteed to come out on its own without
having one?

Hi Melody,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I can't answer you other questions
but this one sadly I have experience of. I had a blighted ovum myself
last year. I asked for a d&c and the doc said she would prefer if I
miscarried naturally as d&c's can leave scars. Knowing no better and
being very confused and shocked that this was happening to me, I just
agreed. For me it was totally the wrong choice! I miscarried 3 weeks
later, by which time I thought it was all over and my body has
reabsorbed everything, it was a nightmare, the pain was excruciating, I
was scared and ignorant of what was happening. I called the nurse in a
panic - it was late at night - she explained that this was the
miscarriage and it would be like a mini-labour. It was, it took a few
hours, the pain came in waves - like contractions I guess - and the
bleeding got heavier as time went on. It seemed to end afer about 4
hours, I was emotionally and physically traumatised. I bled like a
period then for about 10 days. In hindsight, I wish I had the d&c.

This is just my experience, ymmv. I wish you well on this journey and
hope it doesn't come to this for you.

Best,
Bo

Old May 20th 04, 04:52 PM
Marion Boulden

Melody wrote:

I'm just *confused*. I'm hoping someone can help me out a little.

I posted last week, scared I was having a m/c. (Thank, you, BTW to all of
you who replied) That doesn't seem to be the case according to my midwife.

snip

Thanks again.

Melody (driving myself crazy)

Last week you would have been about 4 weeks pregnant right? Right about the
time you would have had your period had you not been pregnant? Spotting around
AF time early in pregnancy is quite common... your hCG #'s look great and they
are still going up (you don't double every 48 hours for the whole pregnancy,
just the early stages). Wait and see what's what when you have your ultrasound.

cheers,
Marion
EDD 10/16/2004

Old May 20th 04, 05:15 PM
Ilse Witch

On Thu, 20 May 2004 11:40:20 -0400, Bóliath wrote:

This is just my experience, ymmv. I wish you well on this journey and
hope it doesn't come to this for you.

Definitely a ymmv issue. I m/c'd naturally both times and now third time,
and much prefer it. Yes, it is painful, and it does feel like a
mini-labour, but that also helps me a lot in dealing with it. Knowing that
my body knows what to do and can do it right, at least gives me
confidence. I can totally imagine that this can be very scary if you're
not well prepared, though.

But, judging from the OP's numbers, I think she's in for a safe ride...

Old May 20th 04, 05:55 PM
Rosenugga

Melody I know how stressful the wait can be. I can't help on the Hcg levels.
I doubt that you will need the info I can provide. If on the off chance you do
need to decide between a D&C and going natural email me. I can tell you my
experience with both. Here's hoping that I don't hear from you.
Rose
Mamma to Caity Feb 13 1999 ( Daddy's best birthday present)

Old May 20th 04, 06:54 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Melody wrote:
Theory 1: (Mind you I am NOT an auditory person, I'm a visual person so I
may not relay what she said with great accuracy, I'm hoping someone can
figure out what I'm talking about.) Is that there's been some sort of
bleeding between the placenta and where it attached for some reason or
another and that's what's causing my spotting. She said this is fairly
common and some women spot for days because of it, others have spotted for
up to 4 months. She said this condition will not affect the viability of the
fetus. Likely? Anyone heard of this? This is a new one on me...

This is similar to what was suggested as the cause of my spotting. It
was suggested that a blood vessel that forms where the placenta attaches
was probably bleeding occasionally. I spotted a few times (and fairly
heavily at first) for the entire first tri and right up until just into
the second tri. Things always looked fine, though, and still do, and
I've had no more bleeding.

Old May 20th 04, 07:39 PM
JennP

"Melody" wrote in message

Shouldn't it be higher than this if it's supposed to double every 48

hours?
Or is this good?

This is very good.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old May 20th 04, 09:00 PM
Coccinella

Melody wrote:
"Melody" wrote in message
I was determined to only be 4 to 5 weeks pregnant. My HCG levels
went up appropriately from Monday afternoon (9312) to Tuesday
morning (13148).

Thanks so much for all the replies. I'm in a hurry to get to work but
will reply individually later tonight. I did get my new HCG result,
it's 68,500.

So, on 5/10 it was 9312
5/11 13148
5/19 68500

Shouldn't it be higher than this if it's supposed to double every 48
hours? Or is this good?

Thanks again,
Melody

Great numbers Melody!