3 month old not eating

Old November 12th 03, 05:30 PM
daisy

Default 3 month old not eating

Hi,
Im new here. I have a 3 month old son and hes not eating well anymore. He
used to take in about 30-36 ounces a day and now he bairly takes in 24. Hes
not hungry as far as I can tell. Is this normal? I should tell you all that
he has had problems his entire life and uses an NG tube to eat 1/3 of his
feedings. But up until 4 days ago he was eager to eat about every 3 hours.
Is this normal to drop so quickly?
TIA
Daisy

Old November 12th 03, 05:42 PM
Leigh Menconi

"daisy" wrote in message
Hi,
Im new here. I have a 3 month old son and hes not eating well anymore.

He
used to take in about 30-36 ounces a day and now he bairly takes in 24.

Hes
not hungry as far as I can tell. Is this normal? I should tell you all

that
he has had problems his entire life and uses an NG tube to eat 1/3 of his
feedings. But up until 4 days ago he was eager to eat about every 3

hours.
Is this normal to drop so quickly?
TIA
Daisy

Why does your son have an NG-tube? That may be part of the problem. My
daughter had one for awhile until she got her g-tube and she had terrible
problems with reflux while she had the ng-tube because it kept the sphincter
at the top of her stomach irritated so that it didn't close down to keep the
acid from coming up into her esophagus which was causing her quite a bit of
pain. She quickly learned that eating caused pain and so even hunger was
not an incentive to eat.

Leigh in raLeigh

Old November 12th 03, 06:01 PM
daisy

"Leigh Menconi" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"daisy" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Leigh,
Thanks for your reply. He had a stroke before he was born and cant direct
his food properly. We are getting the G tube put in next week and they will
be doing a upper GI at that time and possibly fixing the sphinkter as well.
That is a good thought about the reflux, he does great with 1 oz but after
that he fights it. Hopefully the G tube will help with that. What happened
to your daughter? does she still have the tube?
Daisy

Old November 12th 03, 06:28 PM
user

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:30:21 -0800, daisy wrote:
Hi,
Im new here. I have a 3 month old son and hes not eating well anymore. He
used to take in about 30-36 ounces a day and now he bairly takes in 24. Hes
not hungry as far as I can tell. Is this normal? I should tell you all that
he has had problems his entire life and uses an NG tube to eat 1/3 of his
feedings. But up until 4 days ago he was eager to eat about every 3 hours.
Is this normal to drop so quickly?
TIA

Why are you asking us? What does your doctor say? He/She
is presumably far more familiar with your child's case.
Old November 12th 03, 07:13 PM
JennP

"daisy" wrote in message
Hi,
Im new here. I have a 3 month old son and hes not eating well anymore.

He
used to take in about 30-36 ounces a day and now he bairly takes in 24.

Hes
not hungry as far as I can tell. Is this normal? I should tell you all

that
he has had problems his entire life and uses an NG tube to eat 1/3 of his
feedings. But up until 4 days ago he was eager to eat about every 3

hours.
Is this normal to drop so quickly?
TIA
Daisy

Iff he has issues to begin with (NG tube) I'd be asking your pediatrician
asap if you are concerned. Good luck.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old November 12th 03, 07:24 PM
Leigh Menconi

"daisy" wrote in message
[...]

If he's having swallowing difficulty, the g-tube alone may fix the problem.
The g-tube won't irritate that sphincter that may be causing the problem so
hopefully it can stay closed on its own when the ng-tube isn't there. They
may recommend a "nissen fundoplication" which is basically wrapping part of
the intestine around the top of the stomach where the esophagus is to help
keep it closed when the stomach is full but my daughter didn't require that.
(The pediatrician said it was a permanent solution to what was hopefully a
temporary problem.)

We actually just stopped using the g-tube about a month ago and are planning
to have it out soon. She's had it for more than four years, though, so it
may require surgery to close it so it won't leak for months. My daughter
had the g-tube because she has Down syndrome and extremely low muscle tone
in her mouth/throat which made quantity a big issue. We just used the tube
for supplementing her feedings overnight, not during the day because when we
did try that, she quickly figured out she didn't have to try too hard to eat
and she got full anyway. We wanted her to learn to respond to the hunger
and now she's eating great! Pizza is her favorite, followed closely by
ham/pork in any form.

Good luck with your son's upcoming surgery. There's a listserv for g-tubes
I can refer you to if you're interested. I learned a few things there when
we were just getting started with Claudia's.

Leigh

Old November 14th 03, 03:28 PM
Ilse Witch

daisy wrote:
Hi,
Im new here. I have a 3 month old son and hes not eating well anymore. He
used to take in about 30-36 ounces a day and now he bairly takes in 24. Hes
not hungry as far as I can tell. Is this normal? I should tell you all that
he has had problems his entire life and uses an NG tube to eat 1/3 of his
feedings. But up until 4 days ago he was eager to eat about every 3 hours.
Is this normal to drop so quickly?

What I recall from that age, and still regularly happens: infants do
not eat continuously the same amount for weeks. One week they will eat
a lot, the next week less. This pattern can indeed vary from one day
to the next. If your baby is otherwise behaving normal and not losing
weight, he should be just fine. He may have been going through a
growth spurt which is now over.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (15m)

Old November 14th 03, 04:47 PM
daisy

"Leigh Menconi" wrote in message
link.net...

"daisy" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry it took so long to reply. I would really appreciate that info for
g-tubes if possible. Congratulations on your daughter getting her tube out!
thats great. We are really hoping that the g-tube will help, the drs even
suggested that it might.
Daisy

Old November 14th 03, 05:27 PM
Leigh Menconi

Hi Leigh
Sorry it took so long to reply. I would really appreciate that info for
g-tubes if possible. Congratulations on your daughter getting her tube

out!
thats great. We are really hoping that the g-tube will help, the drs even
suggested that it might.
Daisy

Here's a webpage that has links to several listservs that deal with feeding
issues, including the one for those with g-tubes.

http://www.new-vis.com/fym/l-mllsts.htm

Best of luck with your little one!

Leigh