And ANOTHER school calendar change

Old November 13th 03, 05:55 AM
chiam margalit

Default And ANOTHER school calendar change

We get email today from the principal notifying us that Dec 1, the
monday after T'giving, is now a school day whilst before it was a day
off.

I give up. I'll just send the kids to school when I feel like it, and
the heck with the calendar.

Marjorie
Old November 13th 03, 08:20 AM
P. Tierney

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...
We get email today from the principal notifying us that Dec 1, the
monday after T'giving, is now a school day whilst before it was a day
off.

Do all of the parents in the district have email connections?
Is this how they normally communicate such things?

P. Tierney

Old November 13th 03, 01:38 PM
Hillary Israeli

In FgGsb.139844$ao4.448102@attbi_s51,
P. Tierney wrote:

*
*"chiam margalit" wrote in message
. com...
* We get email today from the principal notifying us that Dec 1, the
* monday after T'giving, is now a school day whilst before it was a day
* off.
*
* Do all of the parents in the district have email connections?
*Is this how they normally communicate such things?

Didn't we talk about this already?

Old November 13th 03, 01:44 PM
Jeff

"P. Tierney" wrote in message

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...
We get email today from the principal notifying us that Dec 1, the
monday after T'giving, is now a school day whilst before it was a day
off.

Do all of the parents in the district have email connections?
Is this how they normally communicate such things?

Actually, sending out emails to parents like this (in addition to more
traditional means like paper letters) is a great thing. Parents learn about
these things sooner. And even if they don't have email, other parents will
tell them about the changes before they can get letters from the school.

In addition, many schools have web pages with schedule changes, etc., on
them.

In addition, many times, there is some reason why the change -- missed
school days because of a power failure or water outage or big snow storm
(though not this early).

Jeff

P. Tierney

Old November 13th 03, 04:59 PM
JennP

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...
We get email today from the principal notifying us that Dec 1, the
monday after T'giving, is now a school day whilst before it was a day
off.

I give up. I'll just send the kids to school when I feel like it, and
the heck with the calendar.

Seriously?? No district I've ever taught in has made school calendar changes
once the calendar is voted on A YEAR IN ADVANCE at the board meeting.

The only changes made mid-year that I've heard of are due to excessive
amounts of snow days. Usually they will change the last day of school and
sometimes (very rarely) change a vacation.

What is their reasoning?

That's crazy and unfair. Just curious, is this a public or private school?
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old November 13th 03, 05:40 PM
Cathy Kearns

"JennP" wrote in message

"chiam margalit" wrote in message
om...
We get email today from the principal notifying us that Dec 1, the
monday after T'giving, is now a school day whilst before it was a day
off.

I give up. I'll just send the kids to school when I feel like it, and
the heck with the calendar.

Seriously?? No district I've ever taught in has made school calendar

changes
once the calendar is voted on A YEAR IN ADVANCE at the board meeting.

The only changes made mid-year that I've heard of are due to excessive
amounts of snow days. Usually they will change the last day of school and
sometimes (very rarely) change a vacation.

What is their reasoning?

That's crazy and unfair. Just curious, is this a public or private school?

I'm with Jenn, our calendar is also voted on and made available a year in
advance. This is really outrageous. What does the school board say?
(And at this late date they've got to be kidding if they think they won't
be missing large amounts of students. Everyone has their Thanksgiving
travel plans down, and no one is giving up non-refundable tickets for
capricious school schedule changes.)

--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old November 13th 03, 05:51 PM
Welches

Do all of the parents in the district have email connections?
Is this how they normally communicate such things?

Actually, sending out emails to parents like this (in addition to more
traditional means like paper letters) is a great thing. Parents learn

about
these things sooner. And even if they don't have email, other parents will
tell them about the changes before they can get letters from the school.

In addition, many schools have web pages with schedule changes, etc., on
them.

In addition, many times, there is some reason why the change -- missed
school days because of a power failure or water outage or big snow storm
(though not this early).

And it'd be great to send an email out telling local parents there was a
power cut so the school was cancelled. (surprise-no one got it!) ;-)
Debbie

Old November 13th 03, 08:12 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Welches wrote:

[...]

That *may* be nice for today - no school today - the wind blew down the
power and phone lines to school. But who checks their email at 7:00 in
the morning? (never mind, I suppose everyone here does )

Jeanne

Old November 13th 03, 10:10 PM
Donna Metler

"Cathy Kearns" wrote in message
. com...

"JennP" wrote in message

[...]

Not just kids-I'm betting most of the faculty and staff also has not easily
changed travel plans at this point. I know my travel plans are set in
granite, not only for Thanksgiving, but for Winter Break. If there's a
blizzard or something, and they change the schedule, they're going to be
doing it without me there!

--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00