late walker

Old December 6th 03, 08:58 PM
Welches

Default late walker

wrote in message
What's the oldest your otherwise normal child was before he walked? Mine

is going on 21 months, "cruises" along the couch but otherwise shimmies
along the ground on her rump still.

Bottom shufflers are on average 4-6 months later to walk tha crawlers. They
have less urge to walk as they can carry something in their hands and still
move.
With dd#1, she needed a reason to walk. Once I bought some of those first
walking shoes that are soft, but can be used outside, and let her push the
buggy outside she walked. Within a week she would walk everywhere!
Debbie

Old December 7th 03, 05:56 AM
Jenrose

wrote in message
What's the oldest your otherwise normal child was before he walked? Mine

is going on 21 months, "cruises" along the couch but otherwise shimmies
along the ground on her rump still.

My kiddo was 16 months--I remember clearly how she learned to walk.

She was crawling along, dragging sunglasses along the floor, and it was very
awkward. I looked down, said, "You know, if you got up and walked, you could
carry them."

She looked at me, looked at the sunglasses, climbed to her feet, and that
was that. By the next day she was running. It was very obvious that she just
hadn't felt a need earlier.

You don't, by chance, have wood floors, do you? If your floors are slick and
that makes bottom shuffling fast, I would spend a bit of time carpetted, or
rubberize the butt of her pants to make it a little harder to skid...

Jenrose

Old December 7th 03, 12:58 PM
ChrisScaife

DS started walking without props at one year and a day exactly.

We met a little girl who was not even 6 months yet.

We also know someone who was gone two. She is just fine now :-)

By all means see a doctor, but don't get unnecessarily worried.

Old December 8th 03, 11:05 AM
0tterbot

wrote in message
What's the oldest your otherwise normal child was before he walked? Mine

is going on 21 months, "cruises" along the couch but otherwise shimmies
along the ground on her rump still.

by all accounts my mum wouldn't walk until she was 3. one day she got tired
of sitting around so she walked out to the woodpile & back. after that my
grandma refused to carry her any more :-)
kylie
--
www.rdj.com.au

Old December 8th 03, 05:07 PM
Circe

wrote in message
What's the oldest your otherwise normal child was before
he walked? Mine is going on 21 months, "cruises" along
the couch but otherwise shimmies along the ground on her
rump still.

That's pretty well outside the "normal" range, which is 7-18 months, IIRC.
Children who aren't walking by 18 months are usually assessed to determine
whether there are problems that are contributing to/causing a developmental
delay. It's probably not anything serious or dangerous, but physical therapy
can do wonders to get kids with minor physical issues "over the hump", so to
speak.

I know what I'm walking about. My daughter didn't walk until she was 22
months old. She didn't crawl or even shift more than a few inches until she
learned to crawl at 17 months. She was diagnosed as having a condition
called hypotonia, which is the opposite of hypertonia, also known as
spasticity. As a result, she had a lot of trouble developing large motor
skills. The difference physical therapy made for her was phenomenal--she
started crawling only two weeks after starting therapy.

I recommend an assessment, ASAP.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [a quarter to 2] mom)

"Be prepare to stop" -- CalTrans sign

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old December 8th 03, 05:09 PM
Circe

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in
:
What's the oldest your otherwise normal child was before he
walked? Mine is going on 21 months, "cruises" along the
couch but otherwise shimmies along the ground on her rump
still.

at 21 months, i'd discuss it with the pediatrician. does she
feed herself? can she stack blocks? talk?

Well, the OP *did* say "otherwise normal", so I presume the child is doing
all the other normal things. FWIW, my daughter was certainly self-feeding,
stacking blocks and talking at 21 months, but she didn't walk until a month
later. She was also diagnosed much earlier with hypotonia, however, and
received physical therapy and other services as a result. She's still a bit
behind most kids her age in certain physical skills and has some minor
language delays, so she's still getting services at 4yo. She is, however,
pretty darned normal in most respects and most people who see her never
suspect there are any problems.

IOW, normalcy in other areas may belie a problem in one specific area.