Swing addict

Old December 9th 03, 02:57 AM
Kereru

Default Swing addict

Hi, my son is nine weeks old an during the day he will only sleep in the
mechanical swing (the type with batteries that swings itself). I have tried
everything including letting him cry for a while, to get him to sleep in his
cot but he won't have a bar of it. He sleeps fine in his cot at night.

So I am wondering, anyone out there had a kid who loved the swing so much.
Did the proverbial excrement hit the fan when the kid grew out of it? I live
in New Zealand and no one I know uses a swing but I gather they are popular
in the states, so maybe one of you guys will have had some experience with
them.

Thanks in advance

Judy

Old December 9th 03, 12:16 PM
Sue

My middle daughter loved her swing, but I didn't have any problems weaning
her away from it. She outgrew it and that was that. I also had a bouncy seat
that she also liked when she was little. I personally wouldn't worry about
it, your son is still pretty little. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 9th 03, 02:09 PM
toto

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 15:57:43 +1300, "Kereru"
wrote:

Hi, my son is nine weeks old an during the day he will only sleep in the
mechanical swing (the type with batteries that swings itself). I have tried
everything including letting him cry for a while, to get him to sleep in his
cot but he won't have a bar of it. He sleeps fine in his cot at night.

At nine weeks, I wouldn't worry too much, if he sleeps in the swing,
at least he gets some sleep. Have you tried a rocking chair so you
can put him down in the cot after he is asleep? Have you tried moving
him after he is fully asleep in the swing or at least letting the
rocking stop gradually?

In any case, mine slept in the swing when they were very young and
certainly didn't have a problem transitioning when they were older.

So I am wondering, anyone out there had a kid who loved the swing so much.
Did the proverbial excrement hit the fan when the kid grew out of it? I live
in New Zealand and no one I know uses a swing but I gather they are popular
in the states, so maybe one of you guys will have had some experience with
them.

Thanks in advance

Judy

Good luck!

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old December 9th 03, 06:26 PM
Clisby

Kereru wrote:
Hi, my son is nine weeks old an during the day he will only sleep in the
mechanical swing (the type with batteries that swings itself). I have tried
everything including letting him cry for a while, to get him to sleep in his
cot but he won't have a bar of it. He sleeps fine in his cot at night.

So I am wondering, anyone out there had a kid who loved the swing so much.
Did the proverbial excrement hit the fan when the kid grew out of it? I live
in New Zealand and no one I know uses a swing but I gather they are popular
in the states, so maybe one of you guys will have had some experience with
them.

Thanks in advance

Judy

Gosh, when my son was that age the swing was the only place he'd sleep more
than 15 minutes during the day. He slept fine at night (probably 5-6
hours at a stretch at that age) but in the daytime, it was pretty much
the swing or nothing. By the time he was 7 months old, he started
taking daytime naps in his crib, and we gave the swing away. I didn't
have any trouble with the transition, but I can't guarantee nobody would.

Clisby

Old December 9th 03, 07:07 PM
Ali's Daddie

"Kereru" wrote in message
| Hi, my son is nine weeks old an during the day he will only sleep in the
| mechanical swing (the type with batteries that swings itself). I have
tried
| everything including letting him cry for a while, to get him to sleep in
his
| cot but he won't have a bar of it. He sleeps fine in his cot at night.
|
| So I am wondering, anyone out there had a kid who loved the swing so much.
| Did the proverbial excrement hit the fan when the kid grew out of it? I
live
| in New Zealand and no one I know uses a swing but I gather they are
popular
| in the states, so maybe one of you guys will have had some experience with
| them.
|
| Thanks in advance
|
| Judy

Hi Judy

I use a swing. Alegra has been addicted to it since she was about 3 weeks
old.

She still naps in it (or on my chest). But will wake up if we put her in her
crib or her pack-n-play (What my niece calls her "cage" lol) In fact, it
soothes her a lot of evenings before bed.

But at night, she sleeps on a curved changing table pad between Jarrod and
I.

Can't help you, but I will say that we have the same kinda child ;-)

I don't see it as a problem. Once your son is old enough to crawl he will
probably start falling asleep wherever he wants. We are just waiting for
Alegra to start falling asleep on the floor. She has been rolling over to
where she wants to be, so crawling isn't too far off.

--
LES!

Daddie to Alegra Lee. May 25th 2003!
"Daddie's Little Diva"

To send me an email, please remove your hat
YourHatDaddie @ bonbon.net

Old December 10th 03, 09:16 PM
Cheryl S.

"Kereru" wrote in message
Hi, my son is nine weeks old an during the day he
will only sleep in the mechanical swing (the type
with batteries that swings itself). I have tried everything
including letting him cry for a while, to get him to
sleep in his cot but he won't have a bar of it. He
sleeps fine in his cot at night.

So I am wondering, anyone out there had a kid who
loved the swing so much. Did the proverbial excrement
hit the fan when the kid grew out of it? I live in New
Zealand and no one I know uses a swing but I gather
they are popular in the states, so maybe one of you guys
will have had some experience with them.

My son is 14 weeks old and this describes him exactly. I haven't
bothered to try and get him to nap in his crib/cot though. If I am
upstairs when he falls asleep during the day, I put him down in the crib
just to see what happens and try to start moving in that direction.
That happened this morning, and he did sleep in his crib for a while,
but I'm not upstairs much during the day so it's easier to have him nap
in the swing anyway.

I had noticed from pretty early on, maybe 6 weeks old or so, that he
preferred being upright during the day. About three weeks ago he was
diagnosed with acid reflux so I suppose that being more comfortable
sitting up was an early indication of that. You might want to watch for
signs of that. What finally caused me to take him in was that he had a
couple of burps where he cried harder after the burp than before it, and
I had heard liquid gurgle up in his throat. Now I give him one small
dose of Mylanta each morning and so far he has been fine with just that,
though I was also given a prescription for Zantac for him.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 8 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old December 11th 03, 08:48 AM
Kereru

"Sue" wrote in message
My middle daughter loved her swing, but I didn't have any problems weaning
her away from it. She outgrew it and that was that. I also had a bouncy

seat
that she also liked when she was little. I personally wouldn't worry about
it, your son is still pretty little. )

I know he's only little. I have a toddler and it's so easy to forget what
they are like so early on :-)

Thanks for your input, the swing is working well for us and we will keep it
up as long as he likes it.

Judy

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 11th 03, 08:50 AM
Kereru

wrote:

Hi, my son is nine weeks old an during the day he will only sleep in the
mechanical swing (the type with batteries that swings itself). I have

tried
everything including letting him cry for a while, to get him to sleep in

his
cot but he won't have a bar of it. He sleeps fine in his cot at night.

At nine weeks, I wouldn't worry too much, if he sleeps in the swing,
at least he gets some sleep. Have you tried a rocking chair so you
can put him down in the cot after he is asleep? Have you tried moving
him after he is fully asleep in the swing or at least letting the
rocking stop gradually?

Yeah he's pretty savvy :-) As soon as he stops moving he's awake. Weird
considering he usually sleeps 11 hours at night in his cot!

In any case, mine slept in the swing when they were very young and
certainly didn't have a problem transitioning when they were older.

Good to hear, we will keep it up, thanks :-)

Judy

Old December 11th 03, 08:52 AM
Kereru

"Clisby" wrote in message

Kereru wrote:
[...]

Lol, the only thing you can guarantee with kids is that you can't guarantee
anything! I have a two year old and I still feel like a first timer, they
are all different. I will keep using the swing. Thanks

Judy

Old December 11th 03, 08:58 AM
Kereru

"Ali's Daddie" wrote in message

"Kereru" wrote in message
| Hi, my son is nine weeks old an during the day he will only sleep in the
| mechanical swing (the type with batteries that swings itself). I have
tried
| everything including letting him cry for a while, to get him to sleep in
his
| cot but he won't have a bar of it. He sleeps fine in his cot at night.
|
| So I am wondering, anyone out there had a kid who loved the swing so

much.
| Did the proverbial excrement hit the fan when the kid grew out of it? I
live
| in New Zealand and no one I know uses a swing but I gather they are
popular
| in the states, so maybe one of you guys will have had some experience

with
| them.
|
| Thanks in advance
|
| Judy

Hi Judy

I use a swing. Alegra has been addicted to it since she was about 3 weeks
old.

She still naps in it (or on my chest). But will wake up if we put her in

her
crib or her pack-n-play (What my niece calls her "cage" lol) In fact, it
soothes her a lot of evenings before bed.

Sounds just like Duncan :-)

But at night, she sleeps on a curved changing table pad between Jarrod and
I.

We are lucky there he sleeps happily in his cot alone all night (I just
can't sleep with a baby in bed, wish I could!).

Can't help you, but I will say that we have the same kinda child ;-)

I don't see it as a problem. Once your son is old enough to crawl he will
probably start falling asleep wherever he wants. We are just waiting for
Alegra to start falling asleep on the floor. She has been rolling over to
where she wants to be, so crawling isn't too far off.

My toddler didn't sleep well in the cot until he was walking but we didn't
have a swing back then. I can't beleive Allegra is moving around, I used to
lurk here when I was pregnant and I remember Allegra being born, doesn't
seem that long ago. So apart from rolling how is she/you getting on. All
well? Did you ever get any answers on the ephidrine issue from when
Allegra's birth mother (your sister?) was in labour?

Thanks for your input

Judy