pumping issues

Old January 11th 06, 09:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default pumping issues

Anne Rogers wrote:

As for the appointments, I'm not sure what kind of appointments you mean,
but many people will accept a 6 week old baby as they understand you are
nursing, you could even bring the person who is looking after the baby along
with you to look after them outside and just bring them in for feeding.

I have an 8 a.m. appointment with the immigration office. And no, they
do not allow children (even nursing children) inside, unless *they*
have an appointment. Besides I don't want to take her to a crowded room
full of unknown people for an uncertain amount of time.

Old January 11th 06, 09:28 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Keep it in a bottle in the fridge, and add to it throughout the day, until
you have a quantity to freeze.

Betsy

Sheesh ! of course. Why did I not think of this before ? I was freezing
8 oz bottles with 1 oz in them ! Thanks Betsy.

PK.

Old January 11th 06, 10:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I have an 8 a.m. appointment with the immigration office. And no, they
do not allow children (even nursing children) inside, unless *they*
have an appointment. Besides I don't want to take her to a crowded room
full of unknown people for an uncertain amount of time.

that is S***y!

how much of the 4hrs is travelling time? I mean you could travel, feed her,
go in and wait for the appointment, come out, feed her and then travel home

alternatively you could just take her anyway, keep her in a sling or
something, see what they say I mean nowhere is going to say on their rules,
you can only bring nursing babies, they are just going to say no children,
but when it's a nursing baby they realise they need to bend the rules. I
took DS into a very strictly no children pub at 2 weeks old, no one was the
least bit concerned, nursing babies are really an extension of you.

Cheers

Anne

Old January 12th 06, 04:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

PK wrote:
1. I am using an Avent Isis pump. I cannot get more than 1 oz per
session.

When pumping in addition to nursing, 1 oz. is
normal. When pumping *instead* of nursing,
3-4 oz. is average.

2. My supply does not seem to a be a problem, since baby is usually
seems pretty satisfied and has the appropriate number of wet diapers.
She used to nurse every 2 hours for the first couple of weeks, but now
has lengthened her between-feed times to 3 - 4 hours by herself. (I
feed on demand without trying to "schedule" feedings).

You are doing just fine. The pump is NOT
indicative of your supply.

3. I will be returning to work when baby is 4 months old. I've realized
that I feel very strongly about breastfeeding, and don't want her to
stop getting BM just because I return to work, at least until she is 6
months old.
Initially I had planned to breastfeed exclusively until she was 6
months old, but I can't imagine building up any kind of stash at the
rate I'm pumping. Is there *anything* I can do to build up a stash ?
(other than pump more often of course).

This is how you build up a stash:
(1) Pump to get 1 oz. every day, freeze it.
(2) In 3 months, you will have 90 oz. in the freezer.
(3) Use 15-20 oz. for Monday.
(4) Pump on Monday for Tuesday and so on.
(5) Freeze everything from Friday.
(6) Use oldest frozen on Monday.

Meanwhile, do not add new milk to old
milk, because then you decrease the new
milk's "shelf life". And, if your pumping
during the workday does not get enough for
the next day, add a pumping session at
home or on the weekends.

Also, I'm drinking 2 liters of fluids per 24 hours, eating fenugreek,
cress seeds etc. I'm even occassionaly engorged if baby does not feed
for 5-6 hours (usually at night).

You're doing just fine.

-- Anita --
Old January 12th 06, 04:54 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

When DS1 was about 3 weeks old, I was turned away from a bar
where I was trying to meet former colleagues for a reunion.
Like he was going to drink a beer???

Emily
--
DS1 5/02
DS2 9/05
Old January 12th 06, 04:56 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi PK,

You've gotten good answers, but I thought I'd add:

Your freezer stash doens't have to be huge, just enough
to use the first day back at work plus I'd say about 2-3
days worth back up (or less) in case you run short
here and there.

Pumping to replace feeds is much easier that pumping
in addition to feeds.

I get along great with my Avent Isis --- even when I'm
away from DS for 9 hours MWF. He's been drinking about
15oz during that time and I've been pumping about 16oz.
I find that if I'm having trouble, looking at pictures
of him helps. YMMV of course.

Emily
--
DS1 5/02
DS2 9/05
Old January 12th 06, 05:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Emily" wrote in message
When DS1 was about 3 weeks old, I was turned away from a bar
where I was trying to meet former colleagues for a reunion.
Like he was going to drink a beer???

I have always thought of bars as inappropriate for children. The ones I've
been to(two actually but I hear they're all the same where I live) were
smoky and full of drunk people and loud music.
Marie

Old January 12th 06, 03:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

When DS1 was about 3 weeks old, I was turned away from a bar
where I was trying to meet former colleagues for a reunion.
Like he was going to drink a beer???

well of course they can, but in real life somewhere like that most people
would like you to spend money so they are prepared to bend the rules a
little, but of course somewhere like that is a social thing, you don't have
to go, official stuff is different and the world will be a better place if
rather than moaning, we just go ahead and do what needs to be done and
people will realise you can't separate a tiny baby from its mum.

Anne

Old January 12th 06, 03:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I get along great with my Avent Isis --- even when I'm
away from DS for 9 hours MWF. He's been drinking about
15oz during that time and I've been pumping about 16oz.
I find that if I'm having trouble, looking at pictures
of him helps. YMMV of course.

that's really good, I used an Isis on a day trip and I managed 1 extra ounce
to what was consumed (though in fairness 4oz of that was spilt), but I could
never have done it again 2 days later, my nipples really don't like it!

Anne

Old January 12th 06, 04:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Anne Rogers wrote:
When DS1 was about 3 weeks old, I was turned away from a bar
where I was trying to meet former colleagues for a reunion.
Like he was going to drink a beer???

well of course they can, but in real life somewhere like that most people
would like you to spend money so they are prepared to bend the rules a
little, but of course somewhere like that is a social thing, you don't have
to go, official stuff is different and the world will be a better place if
rather than moaning, we just go ahead and do what needs to be done and
people will realise you can't separate a tiny baby from its mum.

ITA that official stuff is different, and the goverment etc should
get a clue!

Just think it's really funny that we got turned away from that bar. I
guess the local police (this is in the US) had recently been cracking
down, so the management was uptight. Everyone thought it was
ridiculous. It was nice out, so I sat outside for a while with DS and
greeted people as they arrived...

Emily