Two under two!!

Old August 2nd 06, 11:55 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Default Two under two!!

Waving! Hi Amy! Congrats! I'm so happy for you. My girls are 21 months
apart, and although there are times when it's been hard, it's been doable.
Honestly speaking, the first 6 months or so were the easiest, as far as
Taylor is concerned. It helps that she's very independant and not clingy,
so the new baby in the house didn't really phase her. Since she didn't
feel usurped from my lap, we might as well have gotten a new plant, as far
as she was concerned. It became more problematic as Addie got older, and
now that they are 3.5 and almost 2, there is more sibling rivalry, more
tensions over who goes first, or who gets what toy, or whatever. Typical
toddler/preschooler stuff.

I'd back that up, I also found the early months surprisingly easy and that's
with all the physical troubles I had, even without those, I'd still be
finding this stage really hard (mine are 1 and 3), so much rivalry, 1 yr old
can no reach the older ones toys and he guards them very preciously etc.

Anne

Old August 2nd 06, 11:55 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jamie Clark

wrote:

Anyways the best peice of advice I recieved that actually worked was
to make sure to give them individual attention each day,....schedule
it each day if you must. It helps to understand Momma can't carry you
right now, its sisters(or brothers) turn but your turn is next. It
can be very straining I am sure Dad will want individual attention
to. But having a sybiling changes alot for the first children.

Oh yeah! I forgot, but one of the things that I did with my girls when
Addie was newborn was that if I was dealing with Taylor, putting her shoes
on, for example, and Addie began to cry, I wouldn't stop what I was doing
with Taylor to jump over to Addie. Instead, I'd call out, "Addie, I'll be
right there, honey. I'm just putting shoes on Taylor. As soon as I'm done,
it's your turn." Now of course my 2 week old baby didn't understand that,
but my 2 year old did, she understood that it was her turn, and then it
would be the baby's turn. And in reverse, when I was feeding Addie and
Taylor needed me, I'd do the same thing. It was fair, and showed the older
one that they both get their time/turns, and neither is more important than
the other.

Also, I never made Taylor hold Addie, or forced her to help me or get me
diapers or anything. I'd ask, but if she didn't want to, I'd let it go and
get it myself. I also never told Taylor how she felt or should feel about
her new sister. Instead, any time that Taylor was around the baby, or nice
to the baby, I'd make a big deal out of it. If Taylor offered the baby a
rattle, I'd say, "Oh look, she's smiling! Taylor, you made the baby smile!
Addie likes you!" It's hard not to like someone who likes you.

--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! --
www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Old August 2nd 06, 11:59 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jamie Clark

Sue wrote:
"Amy Austin" wrote in message
Remember me? I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on August 10,
2005. And I'm pregnant again!

Congratulations.

I am going to have two babies under two.

I had two under two and then went on to have three under 5 yrs old,
with the 2nd and 3rd being 19 months apart.

I may end up tandem nursing.

Just be aware that your milk may dry up well into the pregnancy. It's
not a given, but does happen.

2) Any advice for someone who is about to have two under two? What
kind of preparations can I make (I'm going to do the mega menu mailer
at www.savingdinner.com!! - we'll have food put in the freezer,
then).

I never froze meals, so you are ahead of me. I think I used the crock
pot a lot, but I also don't remember it being that bad. My kids took
naps and the newborn slept a lot in the beginning, so I know I had
time to put something in the oven.

What kind of equipment do you recommend?

Probably nothing more than what you have right now. I do recommend a
play pen though, for putting the newborn some place safe and/or for
the older child to play in once the other baby gets mobil. I used to
put small toys in the play pen so the older child could play without
the babys' getting into their stuff.

I have a sling and a Bjorn. Do I need a tandem stroller? Can I get
something that will attach to my current stroller (Graco), like a
side car?

I'm sure you can get a side car thingy, but I liked my double
stroller and used it quite often. When the 2nd baby came, I
transitioned the older one out of the crib well before the new baby
came and then once the 3rd baby came, my mom gave me another crib so
I didn't have to take the 2nd baby out of her crib.

3) How am I going to prepare my daughter? She's so little. She
loves babies, loves to look at pictures of other babies. In about 6
months, should I just start telling her, "We're going to have a
little baby soon!" or what? She'll be one on August 10, so she'll
be 20 months old when the baby comes. Will she even understand
what's going on?

She probably won't understand exactly what is going on, but she will
probably feel the stress and/or excitement of the household. Read
books, talk about the baby, let her feel the baby. My 2nd child was
19 months when the 3rd was born and it saddened me to no end that I
had missed so much of her babyhood because I was pregnant, tired, and
busy and then she didn't understand; however, she didn't seemed
phased by it at all and it was more my anxiety than anything.

Should I start giving her cow's milk now?

Sure, if she is a 1 yr old, then you are able to start cow's milk if
you like.

Once the baby is born, make sure you give time to your older child
every day and try to include her as much as you can. Nikki will pipe
in I am sure, but I have always liked her advice on telling the
newborn that they have to wait a minute while you tend to the older
child (when you can of course) so that the older child isn't always
left out. You will soon find out that it won't hurt if someone has to
cry a bit while you tend to the other. It's a little hairy in the
beginning, but it gets easier as you settle into a routine and
everyone gets used to the dynamics.

Hey, I think that was *my* advice! : )

Old August 3rd 06, 12:02 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

1) I had my first child in 3.5 hours - start to finish! I am going to
lay in supplies so that if we have an unplanned homebirth, we'll have
what we need (in other words, if I can't get to the hospital, which is
only 20 minutes away, in time, we have the stuff here). What stuff do
I need?

The supplies you need for a home birth are called a "birth kit". If
you google for birth kit, you can find sample lists and suppliers. I
have fast labors too. Is it practical to get a midwife and plan for a
home birth? I found a home birth much less stressful for the older
siblings.

2) Any advice for someone who is about to have two under two? What
kind of preparations can I make (I'm going to do the mega menu mailer
at www.savingdinner.com!! - we'll have food put in the freezer, then).
What else do I need to do? What kind of equipment do you recommend? I
have a sling and a Bjorn. Do I need a tandem stroller? Can I get

I use a pouch style sling for nursing with a newborn, then switch to a
ring sling as they get bigger. Unless you are planning to snap the car
seat in, you may not need a tandem stroller right away, since you may
have your baby in the sling and your older one in the stroller.

3) How am I going to prepare my daughter? She's so little. She loves
babies, loves to look at pictures of other babies. In about 6 months,
should I just start telling her, "We're going to have a little baby
soon!" or what? She'll be one on August 10, so she'll be 20 months old
when the baby comes. Will she even understand what's going on?

Time seems very long to small children. It seems like it worked better
for my kids when I didn't talk too much about the coming baby until
very late in the pregnancy.

4) Any advice for tandem nursing?

Learning to nurse the baby in the sling while doing things with the
older one helped me lots. Every time I sit down to nurse, I have 2
wanting to nurse.

What kind of nutritional
requirements do I have now that I'm pregnant and nursing?

Eating well for the pregnancy will probably be fine.

My daughter
is on solids, obviously, at one. Should I start giving her cow's milk
now? How much?

I think starting cow's milk would be a good idea. Each time I nursed
through pregnancy, my milk declined and my nursling would nurse, then
ask for cow's milk after the nursing (if it was not just a comfort
nursing). After the baby was born and the milk became plentiful again,
the cow's milk requests went away. If your nursling is not much of a
comfort nurser, she may wean during pregnancy.

--Betsy

Old August 3rd 06, 12:03 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jamie Clark

xkatx wrote:
"Amy Austin" wrote in message
ups.com...
Remember me? I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on August 10,
2005. And I'm pregnant again! I just found out this morning. I'm
about four weeks along, and the baby will be due April 7, according
to one of those internet calculators.

Congrats! I remember you, but I think mostly because I was pg with
DD the same time you were - I remember just beating you, as DD was
born August 4th.
I am going to have two babies under two. I am breastfeeding one,
while pregnant with the other. I may end up tandem nursing. Oh my
goodness. I'm in shock.

BTDT, will BTDT again real soon lol...
DS1 and DS2 are a year apart in age - 1 year, 1 month and 2 days
apart, actually... We're also pg with #4 - DD and this baby will be
15 months apart in age. At least, though, there's 4 and a half years
between DS and DD.
We need a bigger car. We need a bigger house. We need a bigger bank
account!!! Oh my goodness.

So do we, actually... Our car, that we JUST replaced in March, won't
fit us. We barely squeeze into it right now as it is. It's like a
chore to get kids in and out of the car... Put one in, do up
seatbelt. Put second in, do up seat belts. Shove first and second
over so you can get the third in, and if you can do up that belt
without smooshing your hands between car seats/booster seats, it was
a good experience. Getting the car's doors closed is another
issue... Bigger house? Oh my... I know that feeling... No idea what
we're going to do, AFATG. Also, you don't need a bigger bank
account, really... You just need more of them with lots of money!
Actually, from 1 to 2 isn't too bad, I didn't think
My first baby is doing great - she's very smart, very verbal, very
curious, and is so funny! She's learning how to walk, and is going
to take off running any minute now. She has beautiful light brown,
curly hair, and brown eyes. She's the light of my life. The first
few months were rocky, but we're doing super now! I think part of
the problem was that I thought it was always going to be as hard as
it was the first 6 weeks, but now I know that it gets a lot easier
and a lot more fun.

Haha wow... That's good to hear! Beware when she takes off because
then she'll be gone for good... DD has been up and walking for a
couple weeks now, and walking long distances without falling, gets
heself up from sitting, all that stuff... Caught her climbing up the
stairs a little while ago, and she was almost half way up when I
caught up to her. Gar... Not fun! It is fun, though, to be on your
feet constantly lol
So here are my questions:

1) I had my first child in 3.5 hours - start to finish! I am going
to lay in supplies so that if we have an unplanned homebirth, we'll
have what we need (in other words, if I can't get to the hospital,
which is only 20 minutes away, in time, we have the stuff here). What
stuff do I need?

Nooo idea... I have always had fast labors with all of mine, and yes,
they did get shorter and shorter with each one (knock on wood!) I
have really no suggestions for this question... With DD, we lived
about a 5 min drive from the hospital. Took closer to 15 mins with
waiting for a cab and fighting traffic down the road at 8am on a
Thursday morning lol
2) Any advice for someone who is about to have two under two? What
kind of preparations can I make (I'm going to do the mega menu mailer
at www.savingdinner.com!! - we'll have food put in the freezer,
then). What else do I need to do? What kind of equipment do you
recommend? I have a sling and a Bjorn. Do I need a tandem
stroller? Can I get something that will attach to my current
stroller (Graco), like a side car?

Any type of sling or carrier is handy, IME. Baby swings are also
real nice, if you don't have one already or still. I had a double
stroller a few years back, but for me, it was more of a pain than it
was worth. It was just too darn big to fit in the car or store in
the house. Also, the stroller I had before did not have the ability
to have an infant seat snap into it. This time around, I'm debating
on if I will pick up a tandem stroller or not. There's one I really
like and really have my eye on, and it does have a matching infant
car seat that will snap into it. I really like this one, but I'm not
sure if I'll go for it right away. I might just opt to keep using
the stroller I have for DD and put the baby in a sling or Snugli of
some sort. I have no idea if you can get side type attachments for
strollers!
3) How am I going to prepare my daughter? She's so little. She
loves babies, loves to look at pictures of other babies. In about 6
months, should I just start telling her, "We're going to have a
little baby soon!" or what? She'll be one on August 10, so she'll
be 20 months old when the baby comes. Will she even understand
what's going on?

I don't see how it would hurt to start mentioning another baby some
time... She's definitely too young to really comprehend that kind of
stuff... Pick up a little baby of her own that she can have, maybe. Also,
just always spend time with her so she doesn't feel left out. She could
feel resentful if she feels that someone or something else
is taking HER time with you away, and yes, like it or not, another
baby will take up her time, and she won't be old enough to
understand. I didn't have a problem with DSs, though, but then
again, DS1 was waaaay too young to really understand, or really care,

9 months is an eternity, especially to a 2 year old. I'd wait a while
before starting to talk about an upcoming new baby. Otherwise she's going
to think that her new baby is coming TODAY or TOMORROW, and not understand
why it's taking forever!

Old August 3rd 06, 12:06 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article . com,
"Amy Austin" wrote:

Remember me? I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on August 10, 2005.
And I'm pregnant again! I just found out this morning. I'm about
four weeks along, and the baby will be due April 7, according to one of
those internet calculators.

I am going to have two babies under two. I am breastfeeding one, while
pregnant with the other. I may end up tandem nursing. Oh my goodness.
I'm in shock.

LOL -- congratulations!

3) How am I going to prepare my daughter? She's so little. She loves
bab ies, loves to look at pictures of other babies. In about 6 months,
should I just start telling her, "We're going to have a little baby
soon!" or what? She'll be one on August 10, so she'll be 20 months old
when the baby comes. Will she even understand what's going on?

I am sure she'll understand that you will have a baby in the house, but TBH
*neither* of you know what it will be like having a second child. That is not
a problem in itself.

4) Any advice for tandem nursing? What kind of nutritional
requirements do I have now that I'm pregnant and nursing? My daughter
is on solids, obviously, at one. Should I start giving her cow's milk
now?

You can introduce cow's milk after one year. No hurry. Some kids don't like
it much -- DS1 still prefers yoghurt and cheese to milk, and he is 5yo now.

With your own nutrition, just have a good healthy diet. Plenty of fluids,
plenty of fruit and veg. Your health department probably has dietary
recommendations for pregnant and lactating women. Have a look at those and
work out a plan for yourself.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old August 3rd 06, 12:56 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
. ..
xkatx wrote:
"Amy Austin" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Oh, I've been caught thinking more than I typed and just assuming...
No, I didn't mean start today or tomorrow, even next week or next month.
OP's baby is only a year old now (or in a week) so another 8ish months
before there's a new baby for her.
But, her first DD will be just under 2 with a new baby, but at a year,
really, no, I wouldn't (and didn't, nor have I yet) wasted my time with,
ooh, new baby this, ooh new baby that so soon.
I would start with books maybe 2 or so months before, books or movies,
whatever, showing about being a big sister or sibling. I'd start with a
baby doll of her very own just before the next baby comes, and if she likes
the doll, fine, if not, whatever... I don't see how this could or would
hurt, though... Just an extra little girlie toy
I would mention bellies and babies inside, though, as soon as it starts to
become noticeable and obvious. As soon as family and friends find out, and
people in the grocery store start to comment, though, it's kind of hard to
not explain, but, still, at a year or a year and a half, I don't believe
they know the difference or have the ability to understand!

Old August 3rd 06, 01:39 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jamie Clark

xkatx wrote:
"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
. ..
xkatx wrote:
"Amy Austin" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I don't think there is any harm in starting to talk to her about other
people's kids -- siblings, babies, how Susie's mommy is pregnant and going
to have a baby, and Susie is going to be a big sister, etc. Since we
adopted, we had no idea how long it was going to take, so we couldn't
exactly wait until 2 months before the baby came...and in our case, we only
knew about Addie, specifically, a week before she came home. But, we'd
known that we'd be adopting another child from very early on, and started
the process when Taylor was 18 months old. At that point she was already
watching Sesame Street, and that's when I saw a couple of the episodes were
about The Three Bears and the new baby, so I Tivo'd them. Then I'd replay
them a lot, but never actually talked to Taylor about it. At least not at
that point. So there is no harm in getting some books that talk about
baby into the family, that kind of thing. But yeah, at 12 months old, and
you being 4 weeks pg, you've got some leeway...I'd probably start doing
stuff more around 4-5 months pg, and ramp it up as you get farther along.

Old August 3rd 06, 02:24 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Amy Austin wrote:
Remember me? I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on August 10, 2005.
And I'm pregnant again! I just found out this morning. I'm about
four weeks along, and the baby will be due April 7, according to one of
those internet calculators.

I am going to have two babies under two. I am breastfeeding one, while
pregnant with the other. I may end up tandem nursing. Oh my goodness.
I'm in shock.

My first two were 19 months apart. I decided there was no point in
telling my older son about the new baby coming until it was pretty much
inevitable. I think he was told about the new baby when we booked in
for the induction, so about a week before the baby was born. He
noticed my changing body but because he had never really known what I
looked like before pregnancy he had no real idea that it was changing.

As far as the fast birth goes, well I've had those too. My only advice
is to definitely prepare for a surprise homebirth. I knew
theoretically that it might happen to me but figured that since I only
live 10 mins from the hospital that I'd still have time to get there.
Since I had to wait for my mother to come to watch the older kids
(about 35-40 mins because I rang her while she was still in bed) and I
had to wait for my husband to get home from work (and he didn't believe
I was in labour because my waters hadn't broken first like they had the
other two spontaneous labours), I ended up being in transition at home.
I was walking around carrying two towels and a garbage bag - and
before you ask, the garbage bag was for waterproofing under the towels
since my waters hadn't broken. The midwife was coaching me over the
telephone and all she said was really necessary was something to keep
the baby warm after the birth like a blanket or a towel. I ended up
going to the hospital in an ambulance and birthing there but if I'd
been more mentally prepared for the chance of a homebirth it would have
been much less of a shock when it nearly happened.

Oh, and congratulations! 19 or 20 months apart sounds harder than it
really is. My boys fight constantly but they wouldn't be without each
other.

Cheryl

Old August 3rd 06, 03:50 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Cheri Stryker

Amy Austin wrote:
I am going to have two babies under two. I am breastfeeding one, while
pregnant with the other. I may end up tandem nursing. Oh my goodness.
I'm in shock.

Wow! Congratulations! (no advice here, I've got a big gap between my two)
--
Cheri Stryker

mom to DS1 - 7 yrs, and DS2 - 5.5 months