Pediatrician recommends supplementing - should I?

Old January 11th 07, 10:08 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
LubsyB

Default Pediatrician recommends supplementing - should I? UPDATE

Hello and thanks to all of you who offered advice/support on this!
Just to give y'all an update - I decided I wouldn't give Sara formula,
so I pumped a couple of times a day instead and offered her that after
a feeding if she was still hungry. Sara had her pediatrician
appointment yesterday, and I'm happy to report that she had gained *15
oz* in 13 days! And all without any formula :-)

LubsyB wrote:
Hello all!
I'm sure this has been brought up many times before, but I was hoping
for some advice. First some background: my baby girl is 5 weeks old
and was 5lb 11oz at birth (not preemie -- 39 weeks gestation, just
small, but perfectly healthy). We had a HORRIBLE time breastfeeding
the first couple of weeks, and she dropped down to 5 lbs. Since then,
she has gained consistently at the rate of 1/2 oz per day (which is on
the very bottom of the "acceptable" range according to the
pediatrician). He wants me to try supplementing with formula. I want
to avoid that at all costs. What would you all do? Thanks for any
advice!

Old January 12th 07, 01:52 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Notchalk

LubsyB wrote:
Hello all!
I'm sure this has been brought up many times before, but I was hoping
for some advice. First some background: my baby girl is 5 weeks old
and was 5lb 11oz at birth (not preemie -- 39 weeks gestation, just
small, but perfectly healthy). We had a HORRIBLE time breastfeeding
the first couple of weeks, and she dropped down to 5 lbs. Since then,
she has gained consistently at the rate of 1/2 oz per day (which is on
the very bottom of the "acceptable" range according to the
pediatrician). He wants me to try supplementing with formula. I want
to avoid that at all costs. What would you all do? Thanks for any
advice!

YAY! And I can't believe that wasn't the paed's first line of action!
Was he impressed tho? Do you think he learnt something from your
experience??? I hope so.
Well done for questioning him

Jo

--