bottle feeding nightmare!!

Old May 7th 04, 09:27 PM
Jinge

Default bottle feeding nightmare!!

I need advice - the medics don't have a clue!!

For the last few weeks I have had a terrible time trying to get my 3
month old son to bottle feed (bottle fed fine from birth). After
taking the initial lot of formula, which could be anywhere between 1
and 4 oz, he screams after sucking once on the teat so I take it away
from him. Then he cries as though he wants more but then goes
hysterical as I try to get him to latch on again. Sometimes if I wait
a bit he will suddenly latch on again fine for an ounce or so and then
start screaming again.

Doctor says it's acid reflux but gaviscon didn't work and he doesn't
spit up, have trouble sleeping, loves lying flat etc. Health visitor
no use either.

Any suggestions?
Old May 7th 04, 09:33 PM
Sophie

"Jinge" wrote in message
m...
I need advice - the medics don't have a clue!!

For the last few weeks I have had a terrible time trying to get my 3
month old son to bottle feed (bottle fed fine from birth). After
taking the initial lot of formula, which could be anywhere between 1
and 4 oz, he screams after sucking once on the teat so I take it away
from him. Then he cries as though he wants more but then goes
hysterical as I try to get him to latch on again. Sometimes if I wait
a bit he will suddenly latch on again fine for an ounce or so and then
start screaming again.

Doctor says it's acid reflux but gaviscon didn't work and he doesn't
spit up, have trouble sleeping, loves lying flat etc. Health visitor
no use either.

Any suggestions?

Does he burp during that break? That's all I can think of if you haven't
changed to a new bottle or new formula.

Old May 7th 04, 09:40 PM
valentine

"Jinge" wrote in message
m...
I need advice - the medics don't have a clue!!

For the last few weeks I have had a terrible time trying to get my 3
month old son to bottle feed (bottle fed fine from birth). After
taking the initial lot of formula, which could be anywhere between 1
and 4 oz, he screams after sucking once on the teat so I take it away
from him. Then he cries as though he wants more but then goes
hysterical as I try to get him to latch on again. Sometimes if I wait
a bit he will suddenly latch on again fine for an ounce or so and then
start screaming again.

Doctor says it's acid reflux but gaviscon didn't work and he doesn't
spit up, have trouble sleeping, loves lying flat etc. Health visitor
no use either.

Any suggestions?

Are you still using a slow flow teat? He may be getting frustrated at being
unable to get at his milk quicker. Try changing to a variable flow or mid
size teat. I'd say he'd be still too young for a fast flow.
HTH
Marie

Old May 8th 04, 02:48 AM
Alissa

"Jinge" wrote in message
m...
I need advice - the medics don't have a clue!!

For the last few weeks I have had a terrible time trying to get my 3
month old son to bottle feed (bottle fed fine from birth). After
taking the initial lot of formula, which could be anywhere between 1
and 4 oz, he screams after sucking once on the teat so I take it away
from him. Then he cries as though he wants more but then goes
hysterical as I try to get him to latch on again. Sometimes if I wait
a bit he will suddenly latch on again fine for an ounce or so and then
start screaming again.

Doctor says it's acid reflux but gaviscon didn't work and he doesn't
spit up, have trouble sleeping, loves lying flat etc. Health visitor
no use either.

Any suggestions?

Could be silent reflux, you don't see any spit up but usually they won't
like being flat, maybe try a different medication or some mylanta
liquid....If not then maybe it's teeth?????some numbing gel on the teat?????
otherwise I don't know....
Alissa

Old May 8th 04, 06:43 AM
Jennifer and Robert Howe

ok are you using a regular standard teat or something else. I had to switch
mine from regular standard ones to gerber nuks because of the acid reflux.
try them also try a slow flow at first and if that seems to slow I would
switch him to a medium flow. my ped told me that after one or one and half
ounces to burp then try again. Sometimes that helped other times it didn't.
I finally had to start mixing a bit of rice cereal into her bottles to get
her to take it because it was thicker then the regular formula and seemed to
help the reflux.

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03

"Alissa" wrote in message

m...

Old May 8th 04, 10:56 AM
Jinge

Thanks for the suggestions but....

Yes we burp him so it's not that. Haven't changed bottles or formula.
He's on the medium flow teat which seems ok for him although I may try
the bigger size just to see. Also tried teething gel with no success!

It's just so frustrating! Part of me wonders if it isn't physical but
behavioural. I fed him in the early hours this morning and he was
quite sleepy and took 6 oz no problem. In the day when he screams he
sometimes can be smiling the next second so I can't see how he could
be in pain. Maybe it's just a weird phase?
Old May 8th 04, 01:02 PM
Sophie

"Jinge" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the suggestions but....

Yes we burp him so it's not that. Haven't changed bottles or formula.
He's on the medium flow teat which seems ok for him although I may try
the bigger size just to see. Also tried teething gel with no success!

It's just so frustrating! Part of me wonders if it isn't physical but
behavioural. I fed him in the early hours this morning and he was
quite sleepy and took 6 oz no problem. In the day when he screams he
sometimes can be smiling the next second so I can't see how he could
be in pain. Maybe it's just a weird phase?

When you fed him and he took 6 oz what was it like where you fed him -
quiet, lights on, TV on, dark?? Maybe he's too stimulated by what's going
on and doesn't want to finish eating?

Old May 10th 04, 05:34 PM
Jinge

I may have solved it!! I must have the strangest baby ever!

My mother was feeding him and he started screaming as usual so she
decided to have a break and change his nappy. As usual he started
smiling as soon as his bum hit the table so she thought why not try
feeding him there? He was fine!

Now I feed him lying flat on the floor with his head slightly elevated
by a wedge cusion. He is pretty much ok and I have to make sure I
don't look at him too much as he smiles so much in this position! I
tried this without the gaviscon but he didn't like it and was bad
again so perhaps he does have reflux with the bizarre twist that he
likes lying flat!!

I have tried using the sma staydown formula but it was very thick and
he couldn't get it out of the teat properly. The tin says to use water
at room temp but the leaflet inside says it should be refridgerated
water. Anyone have any experiece of this?

I now have a different baby who takes 7-8 oz each feed!
Old May 10th 04, 08:18 PM
Sophie

I may have solved it!! I must have the strangest baby ever!

My mother was feeding him and he started screaming as usual so she
decided to have a break and change his nappy. As usual he started
smiling as soon as his bum hit the table so she thought why not try
feeding him there? He was fine!

Now I feed him lying flat on the floor with his head slightly elevated
by a wedge cusion. He is pretty much ok and I have to make sure I
don't look at him too much as he smiles so much in this position! I
tried this without the gaviscon but he didn't like it and was bad
again so perhaps he does have reflux with the bizarre twist that he
likes lying flat!!

Wow, that *is* weird but I bet you're thrilled to have worked it out

I have tried using the sma staydown formula but it was very thick and
he couldn't get it out of the teat properly. The tin says to use water
at room temp but the leaflet inside says it should be refridgerated
water. Anyone have any experiece of this?

Are you mixing the water with powder? If so, I can't imagine refriderated
water dissolving the powder.

I now have a different baby who takes 7-8 oz each feed!