Single parents on welfare

Old September 8th 03, 10:15 PM
Brian

Default Single parents on welfare

When one parent (usually the mother) takes the kids and applies for public
assistance the other parent has a support order automatically levied against
them. It makes no differance if the non-custostial parent agreed to split up
the family nor is his possible impoverishment an issue. I'm curious as to
what would happen if a couple with two kids split up, each taking one child
and both appling for welfare as a single parent. Would both parties be
slapped with support orders or what?

Old September 8th 03, 10:38 PM
Bob Whiteside

"Brian " wrote in message
When one parent (usually the mother) takes the kids and applies for public
assistance the other parent has a support order automatically levied

against
them. It makes no differance if the non-custostial parent agreed to split

up
the family nor is his possible impoverishment an issue. I'm curious as to
what would happen if a couple with two kids split up, each taking one

child
and both appling for welfare as a single parent. Would both parties be
slapped with support orders or what?

The law assumes a parent on welfare is unable to pay CS and all support
accruals are suspended as long as the parent remains on public assistance.
The states generate computer reports of welfare recipients going on and off
of welfare each month. Just like any other case, they would flag the file
for CS modification as soon as they picked up a participant's change in
status leaving welfare.

But there is another interesting aspect to your question. The Title IV-D
program has provisions to establish paternity which assumes the mother will
be the welfare recipient. I have never seen anything in the IV-D program
rules or laws about establishing maternity. My guess would be presenting a
birth certificate showing the birth mother's name would be all that is
necessary to show she is the mother. That could mean, under your scenario,
a never married father could get a CS order against the mother before she
could get a CS order against the father because she would have to establish
paternity before getting her CS order.

Old September 9th 03, 01:56 AM
Father Drew

My son's mom was on assistance, so they state came after me to get there
money back (and then some). The last time I was in court to modify support,
I attributed minimum wage to mother because anyone is capable of making
minumum wage. I tried to get her for more, because she is educated, just
lazy as hell. In the end, they did attribute minimum wage, but by that
time, she was off of public assistance and married, but still not working.
Had she still been on public assistance, I'm not sure if I would have been
able to attribute the income or not.

-Drew

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old September 14th 03, 01:23 AM
PapaPolarBear

"Father Drew" wrote in message
newsE97b.50126$nf3.15760@fed1read07...
My son's mom was on assistance, so they state came after me to get there
money back (and then some). The last time I was in court to modify

support,
I attributed minimum wage to mother because anyone is capable of making
minumum wage. I tried to get her for more, because she is educated, just
lazy as hell. In the end, they did attribute minimum wage, but by that
time, she was off of public assistance and married, but still not working.
Had she still been on public assistance, I'm not sure if I would have been
able to attribute the income or not.

So this is a deadbeat mom. Ok.. One thing I see as a huge issue is
determining what's fair when someone doesn't want to work, on either side.

How can the system force them to work? One option might be to remove the
child from the home (to the other parent) until they support themselves,
removing child support.

There's still not much that can be done for a true deadbeat NCP. What can be
done to give incentive to someone to work?

Papa

Old September 14th 03, 02:39 AM
teachrmama

"PapaPolarBear" wrote in message
news

[...]

Gee, PPB, can't we take away the drivers and professional licenses of
deadbeat CPs? Attribute incomes in line with their education and
experience? Jail them for their deadbeatery? Surely that would work at
least as well as it does for NCPs, right?

Old September 14th 03, 02:39 AM
teachrmama

[...]

Parent-Child Negotiations Nathan A. Barclay Spanking 623 January 28th 05 04:24 AM
FAQ turtledove Single Parents 0 January 2nd 04 03:04 PM
July's FAQ! turtledove Single Parents 0 July 1st 03 09:43 PM