calorically dense toddler snacks?

Old January 28th 04, 04:33 AM
Dawn Lawson

Default calorically dense toddler snacks?

Mary S. wrote:

Hillary Israeli wrote:

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks? My 15 month old
daughter isn't gaining weight well and I need some ideas. She only has
four teeth (incisors only!) which I think is why some things, like cheese
cubes, tend to go into her mouth for a while and come back out as a
softened glob after being mouthed for a while instead of actually
swallowed.

piggybacking, sorry.

just noticed this.

Try cutting the cheese into thin matchsticks instead of cubes. No real
chewing required. Or try string cheese cut into shorter pieces so the
strings aren't long and gaggarific *g*

And if you like Mary's idea of choc chips, a trail mix of raisins, choc
chips, cereal bits etc might appeal to your DD to pick and sort thru.

Also, try feeding her at a small table, where she can stand up to eat,
or cruise past and get a bit. And/Or an icecube tray or muffin tin with
a "buffet" of snacky things in it. Little sandwiches cut with a cookie
cutter to make shapes that are "fun" to eat, although it may be an idea
for later, with a few more teeth. Cracker sandwiches with tiny round
crackers and flavored cream cheese.

Dawn

Old January 28th 04, 02:44 PM
jmm_ny

"Tracey" wrote in message m...
Here in CT, the ONLY full fat yogurt that I can find is Stonyfield (both the
'regular organic full fat' in the big container and the YoBaby in the tiny
containers). Sigh. I wish there were other choices.

This doesn't help you with the big container problem, but near as I
can tell "Danimals" brand yogurt is full fat yogurt. It says "Vitamin
D Yogurt" on the side of the little container. All the other little
containers I looked at said "Low-fat Yogurt". It's a LITTLE bit
cheaper than the Stonyfield farms brand and comes in WAY more flavors.
I tasted it and it sure TASTES like full fat yogurt to me.

And I know my mom bought Nathan some Danimals at Big Y when we visit
her in CT.

Joanne
Mom to 16 month old (TODAY!) Nathan
Old January 28th 04, 04:48 PM
Melissa

"jmm_ny" wrote
This doesn't help you with the big container problem, but near as I
can tell "Danimals" brand yogurt is full fat yogurt. It says "Vitamin
D Yogurt" on the side of the little container. All the other little
containers I looked at said "Low-fat Yogurt". It's a LITTLE bit
cheaper than the Stonyfield farms brand and comes in WAY more flavors.
I tasted it and it sure TASTES like full fat yogurt to me.

We haven't had a problem finding plain, full-fat yoghurt to which I could
(although I don't) add flavors by adding fruit or jam. DD loves the taste of
yoghurt and we make her sandwiches by spreading it in the middle of a pita
and cutting it into bits. I'm trying to avoid very sugary foods for as long
as possible (major blood sugar issues on my side of the family) and would
love for her to get used to the sour taste of yoghurt rather than one that's
been sweetened.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old January 28th 04, 05:26 PM
Irene

"Mary S." wrote in message ...
Hillary Israeli wrote:

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks? My 15 month old
daughter isn't gaining weight well and I need some ideas. She only has
four teeth (incisors only!) which I think is why some things, like cheese
cubes, tend to go into her mouth for a while and come back out as a
softened glob after being mouthed for a while instead of actually
swallowed. She enjoys pretzels and raisins and fruits and beans... but
she's gone from 45th %ile to 7th %ile for weight over her last four well
baby visits and I've been instructed to up her calorie intake....

I had good success mixing olive oil into everything, especially things
like yogurt. Not very packable or snacky, though. Makes you wish
peanut butter weren't off-limits, doesn't it?

Our nutritionist suggested two big snack hits, pringles potato chips and
chocolate chips. As long as she eats well during meals and/or is
nursing enough, they told us, don't worry about the junky aspect of
those foods. Just get her weight up, and build healthy eating habits at
the same time during mealtimes.

Mary S.
mom to the Sproutkin, 22 months
and a new wee babysprout, due October 1

And here I had refrained from my tongue-in-cheek reply of french
fries, potato chips, candy and cookies! ;-)

Irene
Old January 28th 04, 05:39 PM
Sara

Hillary Israeli wrote:

*Oh, I thought of one -- saag paneer. I get the frozen stuff (Deek
*brand palak paneer) and Ollie loves it.

Now, that would not have leapt to my mind as a "snack" item

Not all that portable, I admit. I guess since Ollie still eats such
small meals, I don't make a distinction between "meal" and "snack."

I have actually offerred N some of my saag paneer before. She's definitely
NOT keen on the saag, but she does love the paneer. These days I tend to
get matar paneer since she does love peas as much as she loves the cheese.
Still, definitely more of an entree type thing in my house

Ollie likes the saag but not the paneer -- good, more for me!

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old January 28th 04, 06:31 PM
Nina

"Irene" wrote in message
om...
"Mary S." wrote in message

Hillary Israeli wrote:

[...]

If a child is getting other nutrients via her diet, nothing is wrong with
french fries to supply extra calories. Sometimes very active kids need
energy dense foods.

Old January 28th 04, 07:53 PM
toypup

"Nina" wrote in message
If a child is getting other nutrients via her diet, nothing is wrong with
french fries to supply extra calories. Sometimes very active kids need
energy dense foods.

Agreed here. I know a mom whose child had an awful time gaining weight.
The problem was obvious. She was eating mostly veggies without oil and such
and nothing much in the way of protein. There was no way she could get
enough calories, even if she ate like a horse. She needed fat (calorie
dense), but her mom did not want to give her "junk food," which was
basically stuff that had fat or was fried, had oil, etc. She ended up
living on Pediasure. Kids need fat. Just make sure they have a balanced
diet, but fries are fine for the calories.

Old January 28th 04, 07:59 PM
Dawn Lawson

toypup wrote:

"Nina" wrote in message

If a child is getting other nutrients via her diet, nothing is wrong with
french fries to supply extra calories. Sometimes very active kids need
energy dense foods.

Agreed here. I know a mom whose child had an awful time gaining weight.
The problem was obvious. She was eating mostly veggies without oil and such
and nothing much in the way of protein. There was no way she could get
enough calories, even if she ate like a horse. She needed fat (calorie
dense), but her mom did not want to give her "junk food," which was
basically stuff that had fat or was fried, had oil, etc. She ended up
living on Pediasure. Kids need fat. Just make sure they have a balanced
diet, but fries are fine for the calories.

Drizzle olive oil on wedges or slices of potatoes, toss with seasoning,
and bake for 25-40min at 375F. Skip the frying, keep the oil, which is
the useful part of the fries for weight gain. doesn't take any longer
than teh frozen ones, either, really.

Dawn

Old January 28th 04, 08:05 PM
Denise Anderson

"Irene" wrote in message
om...
"Mary S." wrote in message

Hillary Israeli wrote:

[...]

Suprisingly its what my daughter's doctor recommends for her. She's 5 and
weighs 27 pounds, so we're always looking for ways to get more calories in
her. Since she eats good meals, she's suggested letting her have stuff that
I wouldn't normally.. including fruit roll ups, lots of milkshakes, potato
chips... all sorts of weird stuff.

Old January 29th 04, 04:01 AM
Irene

"Denise Anderson" wrote in message ...
"Irene" wrote in message
om...
"Mary S." wrote in message

Hillary Israeli wrote:

[...]

Of course, it just goes against the grain to actually advise someone
to eat junk food! Though all of those things you mentioned have
redeeming factors. Even potatoes have lots of vitamin C, for
instance, tho I think most of it is in the peel.

Irene