Man Forced To Use Loan For Child Support, Not Car

Old April 18th 04, 04:39 PM
Cameron Stevens

Default Man Forced To Use Loan For Child Support, Not Car

Mrs. IndyGuy...

"Indyguy1" wrote in message
However there are certain givens. CSE doesn't go after a NCPs bank account

the tune of 21K if they are current with their CS payments. CSE generally

won't
even get involved unless the arrears are signifigant. If one is behind

with
their CS they ought to get that taken care of before they start treating
themselves to a 21K car.

They do so. The FRO, Ontario's agency of annoyance, will go after you for
$5K... You seem to think $21K is alot for a car. I don't but I'm in
Canada... Even converted a $30K car isn't much. It's a nice Sunfire, a
Malibu, a base Impala. These are not unreasonable cars for day-to-day life.
Why do you feel that repaying support means you should live in a box and
walk to work?

There's no information from the father's court that suggests he's being
unreasonable! It's entirely possible that he's been in arrears because he
was turfed from Lucent and is now a shoe salesman and the support hasn't
been adjusted.

What I'm saying is that *WE*, the audience, don't know what his predicament
is and just like the state shouldn't be yanking funds arbitrarily, we don't
have a right to presume he's a Deadbeat rather than just trying to live
comfortably.

LOL, a 21K car is unreasonable for someone who is delinquent in CS, IMHO.

Yes, in your HUMBLE opinion.

And your point is? If he has the cash to make the payment on a 21K loan

then he
has the cash to make his CS payments.

Your presumption is that he's not making payments. He may be. YOU DON'T
KNOW!

He may have been better off in a lease, but look at the facts we DO

have...
The state took money from his account that was destined for a car

purchase,
whether it's 21K or 5K would make no real difference.

No one is going to lend anyone 21K if they don't have the level of income

pay it back. If he can make the loan payments he can make the CS payments.

Excuse me... Students get loans for this sort of $$ daily. He could be
making $24K-$34K and pull this off.

Actually this isn't that much different than say he owed Visa a bunch of

money
and he stopped paying them. Visa could get a judgement against him and

take any
money that he put into any account with his social security number on it.

If
Visa, or any other creditor can do it why shouldn't CSE be able to do this

for
CS?

Yes, they could... The difference is that CS is not always a fairly
concluded amount and keeps acruing while you find the cash to fight it.

And what would that POV be? That having a 21K car is more important than

making
sure his prior obligations to support his children is taken care of?

I owe ~14K... Why shouldn't I be able to buy a car?

If you owe 14K and you were to go out and buy a 21K car, I'd think YOUR
priorities are screwed up too.

I work hard. I pay more than I should in CS and I have no recourse. On May
1st I may be subject to a 50% increase in support payments (above my $1000
/month) and the arrears will increase. Is this my fault, no. It's the
system. It's not fair, or just and people like you fuel the Deadbeat Dad
fight with no comprehension of the impact on the victims. The father (NCP)
is just one of the victims. My daughters are two more, and my family round
out the group.

I'm paying my support,
but I still owe. Am I a Deadbeat Dad if I buy a decent car?

It amazes me that anyone would go out and spend a lot of money on a car

when
they owe a boat load of CS. Decent cars are available for a whole lot less

than
21K. Buying a decent car wouldn't make anyone a dead beat.

I'm lucky right now. Where I work doesn't require a car of me, but... There
are jobs that require a car, even a 21K car. Perhaps this car was a taxi.
Would that be a problem for you? If my circumstances changed tomorrow I
could spend $300 getting to work by transit each month. Tell me a car, no
matter the cost, wouldn't make this easier to get things done and see my
daughters. Without it I could not see my daughters on weekday evenings.

Cameron

Old April 18th 04, 04:48 PM
Cameron Stevens

"Indyguy1" wrote in message
If you owe 14K and you were to go out and buy a 21K car, I'd think YOUR
priorities are screwed up too.

Um, To balance this out. what if his ex-wife owns 2003 Cavelier and lives in
a 3000 sq. ft house and works as a city lifeguard. If we're going to talk
about Priorities... Shouldn't there bee some consideration on her part?

Cameron

Old April 18th 04, 05:17 PM
Tiffany

"Cameron Stevens" wrote in message
Mrs. IndyGuy...

"Indyguy1" wrote in message
[...]

I drive a new car that cost 10k. It gets me to work and back home and has
good warranty. So I must be driving a totally ****ty car then by your
standards?? The reason I have to drive a cheap car is because I get no help
from my daughter's father and prefer to put my money to better use, like my
kid.

Old April 18th 04, 06:05 PM
Dusty

"Indyguy1" wrote in message
[...]

Yup.

Hey, 10K for a half-way decent beater is nothing. 20K for a new, or last
years model, is also nothing. But when it comes to being able to keep your
job and seeing your kids, most of us will do damn near anything to keep that
going.

So get off the guys ass for looking for some sort of transportation that he
doesn't have to drop another loan into to keep the thing on the road for 6
months.

All you bloody liberals are the same - what's mine is mine and what's yours
is mine.