No way to raise a boy

Old September 4th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.scouting.usa,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions,soc.men,rec.arts.books.childrens
Fred Goodwin, CMA

Default No way to raise a boy

No way to raise a boy

http://www.mercatornet.com/articles/no_way_to_raise_a_boy/
http://tinyurl.com/32y9he

Kevin Ryan | Friday, 3 August 2007
Do boys have to be bored, fat and dumber than their sisters?
The first in a series about educating boys today.

A ten year old boy, whom I watch with an eagle's eye, is reading The
Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn and Hal Iggulden. The book is teaching
him how to play poker, build a go-cart from scratch, how to fold a
paper glider so that it really flies, to makes a paper water bomb and
much, much more. He has found his Holy Grail. Wedged in between the
book's black arts are spirited short essays on heroic battles, good
manners and, yes, girls. Be forewarned, gentle reader, this book is
definitely not politically correct, and worse, it could turn around a
boy's life.

The 10-year-old I have in my sights is a busy home-schooler whose days
and heart are torn between pitching in the town baseball league and
his beloved violin. While a leader on the ball field and popular with
his mates, I have to admit, he is sort of "out-of-it." When the talk
moves from the ballgame to video games, the kid is a wash-out. When
the conversations moves on to television, as it does regularly...
(television and movies being the lingua franca of boys from six to
that ever-moving outer boundary of adolescence)..., the boy is a dunce.
He thinks "24" is the definition of a day. He wouldn't recognise Paris
Hilton if she tried to run him over. He's focused on learning how to
step into a pitch and to do something with his violin that I don't
comprehend.

He is clearly out of step with modern boydom. But how and when things
changed for boys is hard for me to pin down. Somewhere not too long
ago, boys went indoors. When they don't have their eyes glued to some
screen, whether computer, TV, movie or even, yes, cell phone, they are
shuffling along alone or in sullen groups at the mall. Building tree
huts and shooting at squirrels with beebee guns lost out big time to
the latest version of Xbox and the newest action-adventure fantasy at
the Cinaplex.

And they look so bored! How can a 12-year-old boy be that bored...
unless he has been made so passive with canned pleasure that he
doesn't know what else to do. He has never learned to do anything
other than turn on his toys. He doesn't have the reading habit because
DVDs are easier. He doesn't play outside in the neighbourhood. First,
the other guys aren't there. They are indoors and are stuck to their
own screens. Second, he and his peers' parents are convinced that if
he is outside, he'll be kidnapped, beaten up by bullies or meet a
recruiter from the North American Man Boy Love Association.

Our modern boy doesn't get much exercise which you can tell from his
rounded shoulders and the baby fat which he should have been shed
years earlier. But how could he. He is driven or bussed to school for
safety reasons. When he gets exercise it is part of an adult-
saturated, over-organised sports world where physical contact between
boys is only allowed when they are covered head-to-toe with enough
protective gear to make movement barely possible. Arguments about
whether a referee [yes, of course, they have to have referees] made
the correct call is strictly verboten. A scuffle with another player
could get him banned from the league and his anxious parents in the
grandstands would be forced to live in infamy.

Other than manipulate the "on" and "off" switches, the volume controls
and a few other knobs, modern boy doesn't know how to do much. He has
never had to do much and the men in his life have conveniently
disappeared or are too busy with their work or their own pleasures
that they have never taught him to do anything. He doesn't know how to
wash a car, saw wood, hammer a nail, trim a hedge, weed a garden [let
alone raise a vegetable garden], bait a rat trap, or repair a
punctured bike tire. Maybe with sufficient nagging, he can make his
bed [sort of], take the dishes out of the dishwasher and put out the
garbage, chores that in another day would have been the province of
his sister.

Then there is school. In recent decades, no part of society has become
more feminised, more boy-unfriendly. First of all, for young boys to
sit quietly in desk seats for six or seven hours a day has long been
contrary to the laws of nature. However, in the past, children walked
to school in the morning, walked or run home for lunch and did the
same at 3:00, only to get their ball and glove and work off the pent-
up energy from the school day.

Second, there are fewer and fewer male teachers. The principalship,
once the province of men, is now more and more the province of the
fairer sex. Those male teachers that are left live in fear of intimacy
or even putting a hand on a boy's shoulder, lest they become a tort
lawyer's meal ticket.

Third, the academic ante has been raised in our schools. The stakes
are higher and there is more and more pressure to get the children
ready to compete in the global economy. That can be translated into
students becoming more and more skilled at the manipulation of
symbols, tasks at which our boys are not genetically endowed and,
thus, are falling behind.

Most educators are scratching their heads at what is now called the
"crisis of boys." On the other hand, girls are doing well. They
outshine boys in all aspects of the symbol-driven world we live in.
They get better grades and have higher aspirations. Girls outnumber
boys in Advance Placement programs, in most math and science courses
and in all extracurricular activities except sports. In 2006, girls
represented 58 per cent of the student bodies at US colleges and
universities.

It is little wonder that junior is in a funk. He is not living
according to his nature, and while he may not know it, he can feel it.
Somehow we have changed the way we live and while there appear to be
many benefits, the way we are living is having disastrous effects on
our boys. Given all the other crises facing the world, getting excited
and making serous changes in how we raise our boys may not vault to
the top of our collective priority list. But think about it. A nation
without men, with only pleasure-saturated, spineless screen-watchers
is a truly frightening prospect.

--
Kevin Ryan founded the Center for the Advancement of Ethics and
Character at Boston University, where he is professor emeritus. He has