Lowering blood pressure?

Old March 14th 04, 11:28 PM

Default Lowering blood pressure?

"Fer" wrote in message news:VLn4c.36813$Up2.21778@pd7tw1no...
hierophant wrote:

|| Foods should be salted to taste, not restricted. Excessive salty
|| foods (processed, canned, boxed, drive-thru) can be limited to one a
|| day to make sure there isn't sodium overload.

While I always salt while cooking and not beyond all the mentions of salty
foods has got me thinking. While I normally avoid any fast food due to
company I have been indulging a little. That is easy to remove from my
life, now I'll have to work on the stress factors!

You need more salt during pregnancy, to supply the amniotic fluid and
the expanded blood volume. Restriction of salt intake has not been
shown to be of any use in lowering bp during pregnancy in broad
randomized studies -- the recommendation is "salt to taste". (In
addition to all the new books, I even have several layman pregnancy
books published back in 1979 and 1982 which make that recommendation
and refer to studies showing that salt restriction is of no use in
lowering high bp during pregnancy.)

High bp in pregnancy is a completely different disease from chronic
hypertension and is *not* caused by the same sorts of factors.

Fast food, though, isn't terribly good for you during pregnancy for a
boatload of other reasons and if you can avoid it, you might as well.
:-)

--
C, mama to fifteen month old nursling

blood pressure changes in pregnancy Vicky Bilaniuk Pregnancy 6 March 5th 04 02:46 PM
pre-eclampsia possible w/o high blood pressure rsitter Pregnancy 3 January 26th 04 07:45 PM
High blood pressure Mom2B Pregnancy 5 December 7th 03 12:47 PM
Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide? Wendy Marsden General 255 October 2nd 03 09:44 PM
lead testing H Schinske General (moderated) 7 July 24th 03 11:25 PM