Resources for Sleep Advice

Old February 24th 04, 12:42 AM
Usenet Fan

Default Resources for Sleep Advice

First, thanks to those who gave me advice on getting some milk frozen
in anticipation of returning to work. I've set up the pump in the
nursery and I have been finding a few minutes here and there while DS
naps or DH plays with him, to pump some, and get some stored up.

My new question is this:
Since I have to return to work, I'd love to get a routine set up where
we only have to wake *once* during the night to feed, and at some
point, even have DS sleep through the night. I'm not fond of the
Ferber school of thought, but can't continue to feed on demand at the
rate that we've been going, and function well during the day when I'm
back at work.

Are there any books or websites you can recommend that have some tips
on getting nighttime sleep to go longer than 3 hours at a stretch for
a nursing baby? I know breastmilk digests fast, so I don't want to
leave DS hungry in the middle of the night. But I've got to get some
sleep too! DS is almost 3 months old now, and will be 5 months old
when I go back to work.

Advice and tips needed!

Robin
DS John
Old February 24th 04, 12:48 AM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

What we did that worked for us (and your results may differ) was to
"tank up" in the evening. From about 6-11pm, I did NOTHING but nurse.
If the baby fell asleep before I did, I woke the baby at MY bedtime to
nurse again. By the time they were about 4 1/2 months old, they each
got into a schedule of falling asleep around 10-ish pm, waking to nurse
once at night, and then waking again at dawn to tank back up. (At about
10 months of age we put in light-blocking shades AND started to have a
morning routine BEFORE eating. The routine at first was just change
diaper, put on day clothes (both of us) and go downstairs, but it helped
keep the kids from waking just from hunger/routine.

Remember that patterns can change a lot between 3 and 5 months, just by
the simple fact that your baby is maturing.

Good luck,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old February 28th 04, 05:20 PM
Melissa

We loved Dr. Weisbluth's ideas and I wish I had read his book earlier.
Between his ideas and Ferber's we were ready to help DD sleep all night
without any wakings. It only took us two nights and she sleeps about 11
hours a night.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03