From the UK... High court admits justice system failed Father

Old April 4th 04, 06:00 AM
Dusty

Default From the UK... High court admits justice system failed Father

Well, this is a first (at least I think it is) - a Judge that actually
admits the system doesn't work. Of course, they STILL let the mother get
away with it! And STILL they do nothing to help the father see his child,
much less turn custody over to him since the mother not only ignores the
father, but thumbs her nose at the court as well.

They admit their problem, but do nothing to correct the situation.
Brilliant, eh?
---

SORRY, WE'VE FAILED Apr 2 2004

Don Mackay

A HIGH Court judge yesterday slammed the family justice system saying
it "failed" a dad who has not been able to see his daughter for more than
two years.

The man, who cannot be identified, has been forced to give up his five
year battle for access to his seven-year-old girl after 43 court hearings.

His ex-wife has continued to ignore orders allowing him contact with
the child.

Mr Justice James Munby, a respected Family Division judge, said the
courts were making "victims" of some fathers.

Apologising to the man, he said: "We failed them. The system failed
them. It is very disheartening. I am sorry there is nothing more I can do."

He called for short jail sentences of up to three days for mums who do
not comply with contact orders and said sweeping changes were required.

Judge Munby attacked the "sheer length of the proceedings" in the case
and the number of different judges - 16 at 43 hearings - who heard it.

Proposing allocating cases special timetables that could be measured
in weeks or months, rather than years, he said a sole judge, or at the most
two, should hear complex cases.

Children should get separate legal representation and skilled social
work intervention, he added.

Mr Justice Munby said: "There is much wrong with our system and the
time has come for us to recognise that fact and to face up to it honestly.
If we do not we risk forfeiting public confidence."

He said the system made victims of the fathers more often than the
mums.

The couple had separated in 1998, but almost immediately there were
problems with visits and since October 2001 the dad's only contact had been
through letters and cards. The mum was jailed for two weeks in 2001 for
ignoring court orders.

Judge Munby's remarks came on a national day of protests in Family
Court offices by fathers.

Matt O'Connor from civil rights group Fathers 4 Justice said: "It is a
jaw-dropping judgement. Twelve months ago such a judgement would have been
unthinkable.

"Let no one forget the outcome was still the same. Another father has
lost his child."

Eliminate the impossible and whatever
remains, no matter how improbable, must
be the truth.