recall of maya wrap

Old July 8th 03, 09:12 PM
Jenrose

Default recall of maya wrap

"andrea" wrote in message
Here is the link

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01225.html

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 3
weeks!
Married to David since 2000.

BTW... MayaWrap was incredibly great about this recall--as soon as they
realized there was a problem they did the recall voluntarily. In fact, when
they were at the LLLI conference this weekend, I saw on two occasions that
they actually stopped someone there at the conference who had a recalled
sling to take care of the problem. And this, even though the recall was two
YEARS ago.

Having seen it from closer to the "inside", I can tell you that they're
incredibly careful about safety and have put a huge priority on it.

Jenrose

Old July 8th 03, 09:16 PM
Jenrose

"Belphoebe" wrote in message

"andrea" wrote in message
Here is the link

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01225.html

That recall occurred in September, 2001. My understanding is that the
slings were subsequently changed, so that instead of having 1/8" rings,

they
now have 1/4" rings, and that this fixed the problem.

It was not specifically the 1/8 rings, but a particular batch of them where
the weld was bad. That's why they didn't recall ALL rings, just the ones
from the specific time period that covered that batch of rings. However, the
1/4 inch rings are incredibly strong, and even so, they'll be switching to
all-stainless soon, as well, where even if a weld was bad, the rings just
flat out wouldn't budge. The current rings are strong enough that when they
weight-tested it and the sling "failed" with 900 pounds of stress (and how
someone could put 900 pounds of stress on a sling in normal or even abnormal
use is beyond me) it was not the rings, but the stitching that failed. Good
enough for me.

Jenrose