What causes mastitis?

Old December 9th 03, 05:05 AM
Nina

Default What causes mastitis?

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
om...
"Cheryl S." wrote in message

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
m...
1. About 7 years ago, I had my nipples pierced. snip
The pus, which is thicker than milk
didn't come out the holes in the end of the nipple, rather
it came out the hole in the side of my nipple, which is bigger,
and more easily allows the pus to come out. snip

Maybe these larger holes allowed bacteria to get in easier, and that's
what caused the mastitis?

Why now? Kivi has been breastfeeding for 2 years now.

No telling. Its possible she has gotten into something and has new bacteria
in her mouth that are getting inthe nipple

Old December 9th 03, 02:55 PM
Cathy Weeks

(Lara) wrote in message ...
Cathy Weeks wrote:

I did have a very bad cold, and I suspect my resistance was down.

That's just adding insult to injury, isn't it? I hope you feel better
soon. I used to get blocked ducts when I was underslept or sick - I
wondered if it had something to do with not eating well at those times,
too. Have you tried adding lecithin?

You know, I've been seeing a lot of mentions of this - as an additive
to smoothies, etc. What's it supposed to do? And where do I find the
granuals loose (not in capsules)?

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old December 9th 03, 03:10 PM
Cathy Weeks

(Lara) wrote in message ...
Cathy Weeks wrote:

So, that said, is the advice still to nurse a child on the affected
side, given that pus was coming out? I'm not so sure. I asked my
doctor, and she said that mastitis without pus, the recommendation is
to nurse often, but with pus, to pump instead.

I can't find any evidence base for this recommendation anywhere. Even
mainstream sources such as
http://www.emedicine.com/aaem/topic300.htm

The URL above had the following quote:

"If left untreated, an abscess, which is an infection within an
enclosed space that forms a collection of pus, can develop in the
breast tissue. This infection is more serious and may require surgical
drainage."

"You should be seen by a doctor right away if you have any of the
following symptoms:
A persistent high fever greater than 101.5°F
Nausea or vomiting that is preventing you from taking the antibiotics
as prescribed
Pus draining from the breast
Red streaks extending toward your arm or chest
Dizziness, fainting, or confusion"

"A breast abscess may require surgical drainage, IV antibiotics, and a
short hospital stay. A small incision is made and usually heals quite
well. Prognosis for complete recovery is also good. Breastfeeding
should be avoided in the infected breast when an abscess is present."

I think I had an abscess (though my doctor didn't do anything to drain
it). I had almost all of the more serious symptoms. I wasn't
vomiting, but I did have a fever higher than 101.5 (but only slightly:
101.6). I had a red streak, and a big red patch. I wasn't fainting
or confused, but did have dizzy periods. I think my doctor didn't do
anything to drain it because of how soon the treatment began. I woke
up that morning with it (with no prior symptoms) and was seen that
evening. And honestly, I prefer the more conservative treatment, and
wait and see if draining became necessary.

But this source recommend against breastfeeding with an abscess.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old December 10th 03, 09:52 PM
Cheryl S.

"Cheryl S." wrote in message

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
m...
1. About 7 years ago, I had my nipples pierced. snip
The pus, which is thicker than milk
didn't come out the holes in the end of the nipple, rather
it came out the hole in the side of my nipple, which is bigger,
and more easily allows the pus to come out. snip

Maybe these larger holes allowed bacteria to get in easier, and

that's
what caused the mastitis?

Why now? Kivi has been breastfeeding for 2 years now.

You might have just now been exposed to some source of bacteria that you
weren't in the previous two years, or as you said elsewhere maybe it's
just your resistance being low for other reasons, or a combination of
those things. Who knows. I hope that you are feeling better soon.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 8 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old December 11th 03, 05:00 PM
Cathy Weeks

"Cheryl S." wrote in message ...

You might have just now been exposed to some source of bacteria that you
weren't in the previous two years, or as you said elsewhere maybe it's
just your resistance being low for other reasons, or a combination of
those things. Who knows. I hope that you are feeling better soon.

I'm feeling much better, thanks. It's been just over a week now, and
I'm symptom free. I have one last antibiotic to take.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old December 12th 03, 12:43 PM
Lara

Cathy Weeks wrote:

(Lara) wrote:
Cathy Weeks wrote:

So, that said, is the advice still to nurse a child on the affected
side, given that pus was coming out? I'm not so sure. I asked my
doctor, and she said that mastitis without pus, the recommendation is
to nurse often, but with pus, to pump instead.

I can't find any evidence base for this recommendation anywhere. Even
mainstream sources such as
http://www.emedicine.com/aaem/topic300.htm

The URL above had the following quote:

[snip]
"A breast abscess may require surgical drainage, IV antibiotics, and a
short hospital stay. A small incision is made and usually heals quite
well. Prognosis for complete recovery is also good. Breastfeeding
should be avoided in the infected breast when an abscess is present."

As I said, "even mainstream sources". Most breastfeeding-friendly
doctors I know would disagree with that last sentence. I was giving this
page as an example of a non-breastfeeding-friendly source still advising
to continue nursing in the presence of mastitis, not as an example of
what I consider breastfeeding-friendly advice.

You skipped the bit that said, "Do not stop nursing from the affected
breast. (Yes, this will be painful.)[...] The infection will not harm
the baby because the germs that caused the infection probably came from
the baby's mouth in the first place. An alternative to this is to pump
the affected breast to relieve the milk and discard the milk. Nurse from
the unaffected side and supplement with infant formula as needed."

Pus is just dead cells and bugs. The baby already has the bugs. The dead
cells aren't going to do any harm. But hey, it's your breast, and your
baby.

I think I had an abscess (though my doctor didn't do anything to drain
it). I had almost all of the more serious symptoms. I wasn't
vomiting, but I did have a fever higher than 101.5 (but only slightly:
101.6). I had a red streak, and a big red patch.

None of these signs and symptoms are specific to abscess. Mastitis is a
serious infection and can rapidly give severe sytemic and local symptoms
in the absence of abscess.

Lara
Old January 2nd 04, 03:02 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Cathy Weeks wrote:

*I woke up Wednesday morning (after having no symptoms previously) with
*a sore breast, and felt awful - fever and muscle aches (on top of the
*cold I already had) and when I sat in the hot tub, I managed to
*express - pus. Yuck. Doctor said to pump and dump on that side, to
*avoid having Kivi ingest pus. After 36 hours on antibiotics I started

Really? My doctors have always said "nurse, nurse, nurse" when I've had
mastitis (both my pediatrician and my obstetrician have said it, I mean).

*So what causes it?

Probably bacteria entering through a somewhat traumatized nipple, with or
without the complicating factor of ins****ated milk in a duct somewhere.

Old January 2nd 04, 05:37 PM
Sidheag McCormack

Hillary Israeli writes:

the complicating factor of ins****ated milk in a duct somewhere.

that's the best new word I've learnt in months - thank you! Ins****ated...

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003
Old January 4th 04, 06:48 AM
Ruth Shear

G'day Cathy

So what causes it?

Naomi Pardue wrote

Like any infection, mastitis is caused by bacteria. Hard to say what caused
you to get it this late. Getting overtired, Kivi not nursing well for some
reason, (is she nursing less often lately?) causing your breasts to become
engorged, a crack or sore spot on the nipple.. (is she teething?).

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but having a new bra that perhaps
is more tight fitting, or lying or sitting in a funny position that
squashes part of your breast, so milk backs up can do it. I got mastitis
once after an hour long ride in a small commuter plane. It was cramped
and I fell asleep while bf DS in a weird position.Being sick or run down
certainly can be a contributing factor.

You may want to google for my postings on inflammatory mastitis last
year. There's lots of interesting stuff there. Since you had pus, it
seems like you had the blocked duct sort of mastitis - I never got pus
and always seemed to have the inflammatory variety.

DrRuth
Mum to Joshua Eamon (Nov 15th, 2001)
http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~drruth/joshua/

Is this mastitis? Cathy Breastfeeding 1 November 9th 03 02:59 AM
Does this sound like mastitis? AlenasMom Breastfeeding 5 October 18th 03 06:13 PM
Q about mastitis A&G&K Breastfeeding 3 September 24th 03 04:38 AM
Taking my own advice. Chotii Breastfeeding 1 August 6th 03 06:34 PM
What are symptom of mastitis? Plissken Breastfeeding 0 July 9th 03 06:29 AM