Playing the Name Game Again (x-posted)

Old November 26th 03, 12:55 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default Playing the Name Game Again (x-posted)

In ,
chiam margalit wrote:
* *
* *It's Zhak (as in Jaques)- leen, accent on the second syllable.
*
*If my cousin Jacqueline, born in Kingston MA and raised in Newport
*Beach CA can be called pretentious, I guess then yes, it's the
*pretentious french way. But since she's NOT pretentious in the
*slightest, and she's just a plain Jewish girl with 4 kids and a
*husband named Melvin, I would say it is just the right way to
*pronounce her name. Not the french way or the American way...just the
*right way.

WEll, of course I would agree with that! But since that pronunciation had
already been put forth as being "french" and "pretentious in the USA,"
what I had asked for was the pronunciation that the person making those
claims thought would be the "non-pretentious" or "non-French" way of
saying it. Do you see what I mean?? Of course now the question has been
answered a bazillion times - apparently the answer is JACK-uh-lin or
JACK-lyn. Who knew?

Old November 26th 03, 01:59 PM
Sharon

(H Schinske) wrote in message ...
Sharon ) wrote:

I am too, and this is one of the reasons why I brought up the issue of
pronounciation in the first place. To me, if you are going to use a
name with very strong cultural connections (like the name Jaqueline,
which is clearly of French origin), then you should use the French
pronounciation. Period. I don't consider this pretentious at all,
rather culturally appropriate, but my original concern was that others
(especially here in the US, where I live) would label me, or my
daughter, as such (although I really shouldn't care what others think,
should I).

I can see what you mean, but where I live (Pacific NW US) I've never heard
Jacqueline as especially a French name at all. Of course it is of French
origin, but my default pronunciation in the US would be Jack-a-lin, just as my
default pronunciation of Helene would be Huh-leen, not Eh-lenn. The
overwhelming majority of people I've met around here with those names are
pronounced in those ways. It's a strictly practical matter. As for culture,
well, they have a culture too, don't they? and their cultural history involves
these "mispronunciations," just as the French culture involves "mispronouncing"
Latin, and my own name is a "mispronunciation" of the Greek.

--Helen

True, true - I can see your point.

BTW, where in the Pacific NW are you? We are near Portland, OR.

Sharon
Mom to James 6.2.00
EDD #2 5 December
Old November 26th 03, 07:50 PM
H Schinske

wrote:

BTW, where in the Pacific NW are you? We are near Portland, OR.

Seattle.

--Helen
Old November 26th 03, 10:30 PM
Fer

snipped|
|| The name Colette reminds me..... I've always loved the names of the
|| two girls/women in "Les Miserables": Cozette and Eponine. But, I
|| don't know if they're 'real' French names, or possibly just very
|| old-fashioned.

You made me curious as well and I found......
www.behindthename.com
COSETTE f French
Meaning unknown. This is the name of a character in Victor Hugo's novel 'Les
Misérables'.

www.babynamenetwork.com
Cossette: Of the victorious.
Origin: French
Gender: Girl

But nothing on Eponine?

--?

Jenn
-WAHM
-DS Feb'02
-DD Feb'97
-Jellybean due June 25/04

Old November 29th 03, 05:11 AM
Sandi

"Circe" wrote in message
"Sharon" wrote in message
om...
DH really wants to give her a French name (so I guess that is a
starting point); he is of Scottish/French heritage, our last name is
the French spelling of a Scottish surname/placename (Glasco) and he
wants to honor that. So.....any suggestions?

I knew a little girl whose name was Colombe, which is French for dove. I
always thought it was pretty (and she was a lovely little girl, too).
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [20mo] mom)

"Rejuvinate your skin." -- Hydroderm ad

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

I don't know that anyone else would think this, but if you're in the US
(which I think you are), that name might be a little too close to Columbine.
Maybe it's just me, but that's the first thing I thought of when I saw it.

--
Sandi
Mommy to Abby, 3

Old December 3rd 03, 01:47 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Sandi wrote:

*
* I knew a little girl whose name was Colombe, which is French for dove. I
* always thought it was pretty (and she was a lovely little girl, too).
* --
*
*I don't know that anyone else would think this, but if you're in the US
*(which I think you are), that name might be a little too close to Columbine.
*Maybe it's just me, but that's the first thing I thought of when I saw it.

On the other hand, my association for Colombe is with the very popular and
extremely fabulous small local coffeeshops called "La Colombe," where you
can buy Philadelphia's best coffee in bulk, or obtain one of there
INCREDIBLE french-style hot chocolates made with heavy cream and actual
melted chocolate. Some of the best restaurants in Philadelphia serve La
Colombe coffee. It's good stuff, and the logo of the dove flying across
the red and blue background thingy is really nice

I never once thought of Columbine when I saw a La Colombe coffeeshop, cup,
bag of coffee, or advertisement!

Game Tables? Kris General 1 November 4th 03 02:42 PM
FREE GAME FREDDY RESCUE ROUNDUP + 40 MORE GAMES 2002-10-29 IBMFREDDYS General 0 October 29th 03 03:37 PM
What toys do your kids play with most? (esp over 5 yo) Vicki General 25 October 16th 03 06:46 PM
Review: Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over (**) Steve Rhodes General 1 August 5th 03 12:59 PM
The name game...and it's challenges... Cheg General 12 July 17th 03 02:13 PM