Driving speed child seatbelt violation $430 ??

Old November 22nd 03, 05:39 PM
Arthur L. Rubin

Default Driving speed child seatbelt violation $430 ??

Dave C. wrote:

Life is risk, Banty. If I wore a seat belt all the time, I'd probably wear
a safety helmet to post on usenet, also. After all, you never know when a
meteor might crash through your roof and hit you on the head. Better safe
than sorry. I'm kidding, of course. I'm debating whether to hit the
"send" button, as, with my luck, it will soon be law to wear PPE while
surfing the Internet. -Dave

A splash shield on the keyboard and monitor to avoid damage when
lauphing at posts while drinking is probably a good idea....

(BTW, has anyone got a good .signature tagline for
"Don't drink and post"?)

--
This account is subject to a persistent MS Blaster and SWEN attack.
I think I've got the problem resolved, but, if you E-mail me

Old November 22nd 03, 05:39 PM
Arthur L. Rubin

nilanjan wrote:

In CA SF bay area :

I got cited for driving at approx 60 mph at a street with 50mph speed
limit.

Also I had my unruly 5 yr old kid in the backseat who had taken the
seatbelt off after I was pulled over by the police officer.

The officer cited me (1)22350 CVC for speed and (2) 27360.5 CVC for
Seatbelt.
I got a notice in the mail to pay a bail of $427.75.

My $.02. (This computer is sold old that I can't reliably
look at the CVC while posting, so I haven't check the precise
meaning of 27360.5.)

I also don't know if that seatbelt violation is a "points" offense.

However, I'd probably take traffic school on the speeding ticket
and fight the seatbelt ticket. It's likely that the officer
DIDN'T see whether your child was wearing the seatbelt, and
you may be able to present evidence that he COULDN'T HAVE
SEEN it. However, if it's a child seat violation, (which it
may be -- the last time I checked it was *6* years or 60 pounds,
but I don't know the effective date of that law), you're dead --
and you're lucky they didn't tack on "child endangerment".

I think this is very high ! Any pointers / ideas on why this amount is
so high and how can I get a break up of the amount ?

I havent been able to get details over phone and am planning to go to
the traffic court to find out more.

Thanks in advance ...

Old November 22nd 03, 06:04 PM
Banty

In article , Arthur L. Rubin says...

Dave C. wrote:

Life is risk, Banty. If I wore a seat belt all the time, I'd probably wear
a safety helmet to post on usenet, also. After all, you never know when a
meteor might crash through your roof and hit you on the head. Better safe
than sorry. I'm kidding, of course. I'm debating whether to hit the
"send" button, as, with my luck, it will soon be law to wear PPE while
surfing the Internet. -Dave

A splash shield on the keyboard and monitor to avoid damage when
lauphing at posts while drinking is probably a good idea....

No splash shield?

Oh, sorry - here Arthur. You can use the one I used as an EMT when I extricated
these guys from their steering columns. It might be a tad close to your face,
though - it's made to stop the spatter coming in, not going out.

Banty (meteors! tee hee - I don't remember responding to any meteor incidents)

Old November 22nd 03, 06:18 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Arthur L. Rubin wrote:

*nilanjan wrote:
*
* In CA SF bay area :
*
* I got cited for driving at approx 60 mph at a street with 50mph speed
* limit.
*
* Also I had my unruly 5 yr old kid in the backseat who had taken the
* seatbelt off after I was pulled over by the police officer.
*
* The officer cited me (1)22350 CVC for speed and (2) 27360.5 CVC for
* Seatbelt.
* I got a notice in the mail to pay a bail of $427.75.
*
*My $.02. (This computer is sold old that I can't reliably
*look at the CVC while posting, so I haven't check the precise
*meaning of 27360.5.)

The code covers child restraints and seatbelts. It says "A first offense
under this section is punishable by a fine of one hundred dollars ($100),
except that the court may reduce or waive the fine if the defendant
establishes to the satisfaction of the court that he or she is
economically disadvantaged..." so this is not where the money is.

Old November 22nd 03, 06:30 PM
Sophie

Also I had my unruly 5 yr old kid in the backseat who had taken the
seatbelt off after I was pulled over by the police officer.

Shouldn't he/she have been in a booster seat too?

Old November 22nd 03, 06:37 PM
dizzy

On 22 Nov 2003 05:44:12 -0800, Banty wrote:

This reminds me of one time I was stopped for "speeding" (going with the
flow of traffic). While I only wear my seatbelt about 50% of the time,

You're taking your life in your hands as well. It's difficult to take seriously
someone who has admitted to such poor judgement.

You are freaking idiot.

Old November 22nd 03, 10:08 PM
toypup

"Dave C." wrote in message
link.net...
This reminds me of one time I was stopped for "speeding" (going with the
flow of traffic). While I only wear my seatbelt about 50% of the time,

this
particular day I got lucky, as I was wearing the seatbelt when I was
stopped. After the cop came to my window, he very politely explained that
he had stopped me for speeding, told me how fast he had measured my speed

at
and asked me for my license and registration. I immediately complied with
his request for my license and registration, but had to remove my seatbelt
to retrieve my license and registration. The cop was watching me as I
removed my seatbelt to comply with his request. Luckily, I was not

ticketed
for speeding, probably because the cop ran a record check and found out my
record was spotless for many years. But he gave me a written warning for
not wearing my seat belt. (!) -Dave

This happened to me. I took my seatbelt off to get my registration and the
cop was going to write me up for not having a seatbelt on. I told him he
could write me up for speeding but not for the seatbelt. I always have it
on and I only took it off to get the registration when he asked for it at my
window. He was standing right there when I took it off, though it was dark.
Anyway, I now know to keep it on and make a point of taking it off if it
ever happens again.

Old November 22nd 03, 10:59 PM
DTJ

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:22:00 GMT, "Dave C."
wrote:

It's saving you money and grief in the long run.

If you address your seatbelt and speeding issues because of the high

fine, you
can go on with your life.

If you don't, you're risking death or serious injury to the child.

So pay up and get it together.

Banty

I take it you don't have children, or you wouldn't have made such a stupid
argument. The child took the seatbelt off when the car was stopped. It is
most likely that no seatbelt law was even violated.

Not the point. A 5 year old should not be allowed to take off a seat
belt. My 3 year old can, but knows he will be severely punished if he
does. He must ask first, and must wait for a response.

Now, we could argue that the 5 year old is normal. That may be true
in fact. All that shows is that normal parents are incapable of
raising children correctly.

Old November 23rd 03, 12:37 AM
toto

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:59:03 GMT, DTJ wrote:

Not the point. A 5 year old should not be allowed to take off a seat
belt. My 3 year old can, but knows he will be severely punished if he
does. He must ask first, and must wait for a response.

If you get in an accident and the child needs to get out of the car
fast, I hope he doesn't wait for you to tell him its ok especially if
you have been knocked unconscious.

The problem with hard and fast rules and obedience is that the
child doesn't learn how to judge when things are ok to do. And
the problem with punishment, especially harsh punishments is
that you will be teaching unintended lessons you don't want to
teach.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

Extremely shy 3 yr old. Plz Help screamingchild General 22 October 20th 03 01:32 AM
Seatbelts for Safety Catherine Woodgold General 14 September 25th 03 01:36 AM
'Horrible' Home Kane General 1 July 16th 03 02:29 AM