Quick question about naps in a 13 month old...

Old November 29th 03, 06:16 AM
kks

Default Quick question about naps in a 13 month old...

To anyone who has a 13 month old, or had a 13 month old, or
thereabouts...I have a question regarding naps. I read that between 15
and 18 months, a baby will go from two naps to one nap per day. My
almost 13 month old (second child) is acting like he wants to go down to
one nap already! He doesn't like to take his afternoon nap, and he
isn't sleepy for his morning nap until an hour or so later than usual.
Should I keep putting him down for an afternoon nap until at least 15
months old? You know; mommy knows best? Or should I go with his cues?
If you've had this experience, thanks for sharing!

Old November 29th 03, 06:23 AM
P. Tierney

"kks" wrote in message
To anyone who has a 13 month old, or had a 13 month old, or
thereabouts...I have a question regarding naps. I read that between 15
and 18 months, a baby will go from two naps to one nap per day. My
almost 13 month old (second child) is acting like he wants to go down to
one nap already! He doesn't like to take his afternoon nap, and he
isn't sleepy for his morning nap until an hour or so later than usual.
Should I keep putting him down for an afternoon nap until at least 15
months old? You know; mommy knows best? Or should I go with his cues?
If you've had this experience, thanks for sharing!

Go with the cues. And if you end up being wrong, no big
deal. Just switch back.

FYI, a lot of kids might transition for a month or more, taking
one nap some days, two on others. So if you try a switch, you
might not want to be hard and fast about it. Good luck.

P.
Tierney

Old November 29th 03, 07:57 AM
CY

I think some kids just need less/more sleep than others. FWIW, my (now 21
mth old) DD went down to one nap when she was just 10 months. Now some days
she doesn't take a nap (though *I* am not ready to give it up completely
yet!). Yet other days she'll take a 3 hour nap. I don't get it! Anyway, I
would just take his cues and like the other poster said, you can always go
back to the two naps if need be...Good luck!

CY

Old November 29th 03, 07:57 AM
Kereru

"kks" wrote in message
To anyone who has a 13 month old, or had a 13 month old, or
thereabouts...I have a question regarding naps. I read that between 15
and 18 months, a baby will go from two naps to one nap per day. My
almost 13 month old (second child) is acting like he wants to go down to
one nap already! He doesn't like to take his afternoon nap, and he
isn't sleepy for his morning nap until an hour or so later than usual.
Should I keep putting him down for an afternoon nap until at least 15
months old? You know; mommy knows best? Or should I go with his cues?
If you've had this experience, thanks for sharing!

My DS made the switch at about a year if I remember rightly and for some
bizarre reason he slept so much better. Before then he was doing two one
hour naps and he went to on three hour nap in the afternoon. The major
difference was that while the two naps were often a struggle he was (and
still is at 2) happy to go down for his one nap :-)

Judy

Old November 29th 03, 01:05 PM
Elizabeth Reid

kks wrote in message news:fRWxb.343505$HS4.2927716@attbi_s01...
To anyone who has a 13 month old, or had a 13 month old, or
thereabouts...I have a question regarding naps. I read that between 15
and 18 months, a baby will go from two naps to one nap per day. My
almost 13 month old (second child) is acting like he wants to go down to
one nap already! He doesn't like to take his afternoon nap, and he
isn't sleepy for his morning nap until an hour or so later than usual.
Should I keep putting him down for an afternoon nap until at least 15
months old? You know; mommy knows best? Or should I go with his cues?
If you've had this experience, thanks for sharing!

My son started taking one nap a day at about that age. The
15 month thing is a rough guide to what to expect, not a
rule that needs enforcing. Try one nap and see if he seems
to be getting enough sleep. You might need to keep him up a
little later so that the nap falls squarely in the middle of
the day, or you might not.

Beth
Old November 29th 03, 02:39 PM
toto

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 06:16:47 GMT, kks wrote:

To anyone who has a 13 month old, or had a 13 month old, or
thereabouts...I have a question regarding naps. I read that between 15
and 18 months, a baby will go from two naps to one nap per day. My
almost 13 month old (second child) is acting like he wants to go down to
one nap already! He doesn't like to take his afternoon nap, and he
isn't sleepy for his morning nap until an hour or so later than usual.
Should I keep putting him down for an afternoon nap until at least 15
months old? You know; mommy knows best? Or should I go with his cues?
If you've had this experience, thanks for sharing!

My son actually never did a two nap thing at all, he catnapped until
he started walking at 13 months and then went to one nap a day.
He was sleeping from 7 PM to 6 AM at night from from very early on,
but would keep himself awake during the day (I think he didn't want
to miss anything).

I think it really depends on the child. Go with your babies cues and
you won't go wrong.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old November 29th 03, 03:22 PM
Ericka Kammerer

kks wrote:

To anyone who has a 13 month old, or had a 13 month old, or
thereabouts...I have a question regarding naps. I read that between 15
and 18 months, a baby will go from two naps to one nap per day. My
almost 13 month old (second child) is acting like he wants to go down to
one nap already!

Most kids I know, including mine, went to one nap
closer to a year.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 29th 03, 04:32 PM
toto

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:51:59 -0500, Nan wrote:

Even at almost 20 he likes to nap a few times a week ;-)

hehe. At 59, I do too.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old November 29th 03, 04:38 PM
The Ranger

toto wrote in message
[snip naps]
hehe. At 59, I do too.

You're 59? Whoa... That's old!

The "RDH" Ranger
"'Nah, nah; can't catch me...'"
Farquah mocking the Gingerbread Man

Old November 29th 03, 05:52 PM
toto

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 08:38:18 -0800, "The Ranger"
wrote:

toto wrote in message
.. .
[snip naps]
hehe. At 59, I do too.

You're 59? Whoa... That's old!

:P You are only as old as you feel. Some days I feel like I
am 4 or 5, other days like 80. g

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits