How often do pushchairs/buggies/travel systems get stolen?

Old September 21st 05, 10:15 PM

Default How often do pushchairs/buggies/travel systems get stolen?

We bought a new travel system which cost about =A3250 for our new baby.
When we go out to eat most restaurants insist that we leave it (the
buggy!) by the door.

This is fair enough in a busy restaurant where space is tight, but has
got me a bit paranoid about getting it stolen. My push bike costs half
as much and yet I dont let that out my sight without very sturdy lock
and yet everybody seems to leave travel systems worth hundreds just
laying around.

How often do they get stolen and is there anything I can do (short of
not eating out) that can minimise the risks?

Thanks

David Bevan
http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

Old September 21st 05, 10:30 PM
Welches

wrote in message
ups.com...
We bought a new travel system which cost about £250 for our new baby.
When we go out to eat most restaurants insist that we leave it (the
buggy!) by the door.

This is fair enough in a busy restaurant where space is tight, but has
got me a bit paranoid about getting it stolen. My push bike costs half
as much and yet I dont let that out my sight without very sturdy lock
and yet everybody seems to leave travel systems worth hundreds just
laying around.

How often do they get stolen and is there anything I can do (short of
not eating out) that can minimise the risks?
''''
I have a cheap bike lock that I use for my buggy. I think the general risk
is dishonest parents swapping their old buggy for a better one, not people
stealing to sell. I also have kept my old buggy, which is a bit broken, so
if I'm going somewhere that I think might be a problem I can take it
instead.
Our leisure centre had quite a reputation for it at one point. So they
produced a buggy park (away from everywhere) to put it in, so it's now more
convenient to chose which one you want!
Debbie

Old September 21st 05, 10:54 PM
Anne Rogers

never heard of it being a problem, at the swimming pool, where you would
have to leave it out of site there are chains provided to lock them up.

I don't think I have ever actually left a buggy at the entrance to a
restaurant, often we'll park close and just carry the child, and when I've
stopped for a coffee in the town centre or similar I've been able to keep
the buggy close.

If you have a travel system, you will probably ending up taking the car seat
out and carrying that to your table, so if you can take the regular seat off
the frame, that would significantly reduce the risk.

Cheers

Anne

Old September 21st 05, 11:34 PM
zolwica

Well I would think that if the restaurant requires you to leave an
expensive piece of gear, then they will be held responsible for anything
missing.

We had an incident of that sort. Somehow I was not feeling at ease
leaving our stroller. So, I made sure to ask, if it would be their
responsibility, they said yes. Well, they somehow managed to fold the
stroller the wrong way and broke it. They had to refund me for the damage.

Good luck

Mona

Old September 22nd 05, 02:32 AM
Jamie Clark

I've never had ours stolen or heard of anyone else's being stolen. I do
take out my purse and diaper bag, just so that there is nothing easy within
reach, as most thieves act on impulse and go for an easy target. I don't
think that most thieves would see a stroller and think - "hey, there is an
easy mark!" I suspect that the resale value isn't nearly as much as the new
price. The only person I worry that might steal my stroller would be a
really poor woman with kids. In that case, she can have it, and I'll get a
new one, or go without.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old September 22nd 05, 03:58 AM
oregonchick

wrote in message
ups.com...
We bought a new travel system which cost about £250 for our new baby.
When we go out to eat most restaurants insist that we leave it (the
buggy!) by the door.

This is fair enough in a busy restaurant where space is tight, but has
got me a bit paranoid about getting it stolen. My push bike costs half
as much and yet I dont let that out my sight without very sturdy lock
and yet everybody seems to leave travel systems worth hundreds just
laying around.

How often do they get stolen and is there anything I can do (short of
not eating out) that can minimise the risks?

We have a more expensive type stroller (USA) and a cheapo stroller. I use
the cheap one in certain situations because it is actually much lighter and
smaller, and is easy to maneuver. It cost around $15 so I wouldn't totally
freak if it was stolen. I don't think they actually get stolen all that
often though. Maybe I'm just being ignorantly optimistic though.

Old September 22nd 05, 04:13 AM
Leslie

Well, my $20 umbrella stroller was stolen out of my front yard! So you
never know.

I tell myself whoever took it must have needed it more than I did. So
far, I haven't used a stroller for Lorelei. We carry her or put her in
the sling.

Leslie