RFI: Software for NFP

Old September 23rd 05, 08:56 AM
GlintingHedgehog

In article ,
says...
We understand this, and for this very reason we're looking into NFP methods.
It was only by an offchance that I found out about the cyclebeads and from
what I've read about fertility it seems that they provide quite a huge gap
to cope with the fact that ovulating doesn't occure on the same day of the
cycle each time, but this is in relation to the number of days in the
cycle..

There are two major problems with this.

First, as you've noted, the time during which you must abstain (or
use barrier methods of contraception) is quite lengthy - and quite
unnecessarily. I haven't charted for a while (just had a baby -
planned pregnancy btw LOL) but iirc the period during which I
considered myself fertile was usually only about five days.

Second, even if you abstain/use barrier methods during the period you
consider fertile (using cyclebeads or similar), you could still
ovulate outside this time. For example, let's say cyclebeads tell you
you might be fertile from day 8 to day 20, and you usually ovulate on
day 15. And let's say that on day 12, you catch a cold, or have a
particularly stressful time at work, or experience bereavement, or
whatever - lots of factors which might cause this, as I said before -
which delays ovulation by a week. On day 21, when you think you're no
longer fertile, you're actually at your most fertile. And using the
rhythm method, you won't have any idea of that - until the positive
pregnancy test.

FWIW, your willingness to be so involved will make charting an even
better method for you and your partner imo. Get a copy of Taking
Charge of Your Fertility and read it. Charting really isn't difficult
or complicated or time-consuming, and will let you know what's
*really* going on :-)

--
Hedgehog