Opinions please, re NIP (long)

Old June 21st 06, 04:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Opinions please, re NIP (long)

"CY" wrote in message
Hmm, I don't recall seeing that sign, but that doesn't mean there isn't
one. I'll have to take a closer look next time I am there, whippin' 'em
out, lol!

"Hey, Lady! NO FOOD IN THE POOL!"

*giggling*

Jess

Old June 21st 06, 07:13 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote:
cjra wrote:

er, my experience in many (though not all) countries outside the US
would suggest this is not the *world's* problem, but predominantly a
prudish American (and perhaps British) problem.

Exactly. My sister who just got back from, among other places,
Ecuador, says people whip it out for three year olds there all the
time, and no one skips a beat.

Cultures vary so broadly just across the US! It would never have
occured to me that people wouldn't take drinks out by the pool; our
government is constantly running public service ads *reminding* people
to take drinks with them when they're swimming to avoid dehydration...

True. Here in my town, I have never had much hesitation about nursing
in public simply because I know that not only is the law on my side,
but the vast majority of people in the community have their heads on
straight about it. BF is common here. Extended BF is common here. The
only person who's ever *ever* asked me to move was an administrator at
an old folks' home. Even there, she offered me, of all places, a dining
room for the purpose. Which is just about acceptable, except that when
I'm juggling a baby, a dog and a senile old lady, I'm not about to drag
them somewhere so I can nurse the baby. I nurse practically everywhere
I go, I don't even think about it, and most people if they notice,
don't say anything or say something positive.

But I've seen a lot of the "don't flaunt it" stuff said online, and
*that* is just old.

Jenrose

Old June 21st 06, 08:00 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Carlye" wrote in message
oups.com...
CY wrote:

Anyway, here is the new bill that passed recently for our state (lot of
legal jargon)

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext...ls/hb2376p.pdf

And a link to Amy Miliron's website (who is responsible for getting this
bill
passed)http://www.healthyfoodhealthychildre...ion/index.html

Do you think I should write to him and include this bill? Or write over
his
head? Or not write at all?

Although I would've been ****ed off, too, from a legal standpoint, I
don't know that you've got much to stand on, unfortunately.

The only statute on the books in Arizona dealing with BFing is the one
you gave a link to, and all it does is protect you from criminal
prosecution for indecent exposure. Although after a quick look, I
didn't find a U.S. Supreme Court or 9th Circuit (Arizona's federal
circuit) case addressing it directly, most federal cases have
interpreted those laws to still protect business owner's rights to ask
you to cover up or leave.

For instance, one federal case supported a Wal-mart (which is, in the
eyes of the law, probably more "public" than your YMCA, because no
membership fee is required to go in there -- ANYONE can go into
Wal-Mart) in asking a nursing mom to cover up or nurse in the restroom.
The case explicitly said it was -not- sex discrimination.

I think writing a letter or complaining is still entirely appropriate.
BUT, I don't think you're getting much help from the law. Sorry. :-(

I don't think CY will find that the lack of specific legislation effectively
limits her rights. Here in New Zealand, there is -no- specific legislation
protecting breastfeeding - but, nowhere in the world is breastfeeding in
public -illegal- and what happens here is that it comes under the umbrella
of our human rights legislation as sex discrimination. It isn't a perfect
process by any stretch of the imagination - I've been through it - but
basically you can't be asked to move from somewhere you have a legal right
to be while breastfeeding because this is considered discrimination on the
basis of being female, and you can lodge a complaint with the Commission.
Privately owned premises open to the public would fall under the
Commission's jurisdiction, as do workplaces. Simply put, breastfeeding
discrimination -is not legal-. Various laws around the world are in place to
clarify this.
I would be very surprised if the situation in the US is much different; it
would probably be covered under your Bill of Rights.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old June 21st 06, 09:02 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

cjra wrote:
wrote:

(And the one place I considered an exception is no longer an exception.
If they want me to not nurse there, we'll take our 4 grand per month
and move my MIL to another facility, I'm *tired* of the world's
priggish sense of false modesty about breastfeeding.

er, my experience in many (though not all) countries outside the US
would suggest this is not the *world's* problem, but predominantly a
prudish American (and perhaps British) problem.

I get the feeling the Uk as a whole is quite split about the issue.
Apart from the two mums who were unable to bf because of health issues
with their newborns, all the women in my new mums group bf'd. And I got
the sense that they wouldn't have much of a problem doing it in public.
But then the Extreme Breastfeeding programme had a few street
interviews where both men and women objected to it. From those two
examples it would be very easy to say that it was a class issue (the
mums at my group mostly middle class, the interviewees all working
class). It would be interesting to read any studies on this to find out
the reasons for it.

A quick story - shopping in the middle of town yesterday, two couples
with babies sitting outside Eat (trendy sandwich shop) at the tables in
the street. One woman was breastfeeding her baby and as I walked in to
the shop, said quite clearly, 'it's all about the latch aparently'. I
really wanted to go up to her and say 'well done', although she didn't
look like she needed the encouragement. What have you lot done to me!

Jeni

Old June 21st 06, 03:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Mum of Two wrote:
I don't think CY will find that the lack of specific legislation effectively
limits her rights.

I would be very surprised if the situation in the US is much different; it
would probably be covered under your Bill of Rights.

Well, interpreting statutes and cases is what I do for a living. And
although I only did a quick scan of what's out there, I'm afraid it is
different; she is protected from being prosecuted for indecent
exposure, but in much of the U.S. (like I said, I didn't find a case in
her circuit specifically) federal courts have upheld businesses' rights
to ask you to leave or cover up for breastfeeding. It is -not- deemed
sex discrimination. Our Bill of Rights is not very effective on
private property, to a large extent.

I still think a place like the Y should be better about this; I just
don't think they have to be, unfortunately.

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Old June 21st 06, 05:19 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Sue writes:
: wrote in message
: If you don't want to see boobs or hear about breastfeeding, WHY exactly
: are you here?

: Because the OP was cross-posted.
: --
: Sue (mom to three girls)

Crossposted where? I don't see any newsgroups in the header except
misc.kids.breastfeeding.

Larry