Kids' breakfast

Old January 22nd 08, 07:05 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Default Kids' breakfast

My kids (preschoolers) like cereal, especially applejacks or fruit
loops. I'm not that thrilled about the sugar content in these. They
eat fruits but not at breakfast. I'm wondering what your kids eat for
breakfast. If you come across less sugary yet tasty cereals, please
suggest.

Thanks.
Old January 22nd 08, 08:12 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

We have stopped eating cereal for breakfast these days. As a matter of fact,
I have pretty much quit buying it because it's too expensive and we really
can't eat much sugary things first thing in the morning. My girls are 15,
12, and 11. I always have on hand instant oatmeal or cream of wheat and
bagels. I sometimes make eggs, quickie sausage links or bacon I have made
on the weekend, pre-made or frozen pancakes/waffles, but I always make sure
there is a protein (meat) with it because even that can be too sweet.
Sometimes leftovers from the night before, pizza, soup, or whatever else is
on hand. Sometimes I make biscuits and gravy. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 22nd 08, 09:56 PM posted to misc.kids
Caledonia

On Jan 22, 2:05 pm, wrote:
My kids (preschoolers) like cereal, especially applejacks or fruit
loops. I'm not that thrilled about the sugar content in these. They
eat fruits but not at breakfast. I'm wondering what your kids eat for
breakfast. If you come across less sugary yet tasty cereals, please
suggest.

Thanks.

Rolled oats (regular, not quick) w/skim if it's really cold out. if
not, hard-boiled eggs and a slice of whole wheat toast with butter.
We're pretty darn dull here -- and I'm also relatively cheap. My
standard breakfast for years has been coffee and a hard-boiled egg.

Caledonia
Old January 23rd 08, 01:20 AM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Depending upon how much of a hurry we're in, one of the following with
fruit juice:

scrambled eggs with toast
instant oatmeal with cinnamon and sugar
Mighty Bites cereal with no topping, or frosted Mini Wheats, or plain
Cheerios with a single spoonful of sugar
a Luna bar

I let the kids pick out their own cereals these days, but they must read
the nutrition label and our upper limit is 5g of sugar per serving. If
they get a higher-sugar cereal then they must mix it with a no-sugar one
(in the bowl). For example, 1/2 plain cheerios with 1/2 honey nut
cheerios. Absolutely no artifical colors allowed; they make one of my
kids a bit crazy.

My kids are older (10 and 12) but breakfasts haven't changed much over
the years, expect for the addition of Luna bars to the options.

--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.

Old January 23rd 08, 02:04 AM posted to misc.kids
Woolstitcher

wrote in message
My kids (preschoolers) like cereal, especially applejacks or fruit
loops. I'm not that thrilled about the sugar content in these. They
eat fruits but not at breakfast. I'm wondering what your kids eat for
breakfast. If you come across less sugary yet tasty cereals, please
suggest.

Thanks.

I don't buy candy cereals, the first step in getting them to eat a healthy
breakfast is to stop buying them candy for breakfast.
Pancakes made w/ whole wheat flour and flax seed are very good, oatmeal
pancakes are also very good, poched eggs, boiled eggs (but for some reason
my kids have quit eating them, can't say as I blame them, I don't care for
them either) They like left over home made vegatable soup, chicken soup,
oatmeal (I also make oatmeal bars and keep them in the freezer) Even a PB&J
works.
You don't have to serve "breakfast" foods just because it's breakfast

Old January 23rd 08, 05:41 AM posted to misc.kids
Kim[_2_]

On Jan 22, 11:05 am, wrote:
My kids (preschoolers) like cereal, especially applejacks or fruit
loops. I'm not that thrilled about the sugar content in these. They
eat fruits but not at breakfast. I'm wondering what your kids eat for
breakfast. If you come across less sugary yet tasty cereals, please
suggest.

Thanks.

I have a 9 year old and 16 month old:

cereal bars
oatmeal
yogurt
fruit
pancakes (make the batter on the weekend and add some banana slices or
other fruit and keep the batter in the fridge a few days, so you just
have to cook it up on the weekdays. With fruit added, they don't need
syrup... although we usually use a bit of jam)
scrambled eggs
frozen waffles
toast
pbj
banana bread (made ahead of time)

Kim
Old January 23rd 08, 07:19 AM posted to misc.kids
Pologirl

We buy no junk cereals. Cereals we do buy: Cheerios, corn flakes,
oat flakes, raisin bran flakes, chex, shredded wheat, puffed rice,
puffed mixed grains, corn pops (okay you might count that as a junk
cereal), muesli, granola. Other things we eat for breakfast:
Oatmeal. Cream of wheat. Waffles (frozen or home made), sometimes
with bacon. Home made cake or cookies (high in protein and fat, being
made with a lot of butter, eggs, and ground nuts). Toast, bagels,
English muffins, crumpets, oyster crackers, other crackers. Jam,
peanut butter, melted cheese, cream cheese, smoked fish, pickled
fish. Eggs, corn or flour tortillas, beans, and chile (huevos
rancheros, yum). Fruit (grapefruit, pineapple, oranges, cherry
compote).

The 16 month old currently likes Cheerio cream cheese sandwiches. As
she is skinny, I indulge her and make these mini sandwiches as fast
and as long as she will eat them.

Pologirl
Old January 23rd 08, 07:46 AM posted to misc.kids
Me Myself and I[_3_]

We don't buy highly sweetened cereal. We have corn flakes rice bubbles and
weetbix. Then I alternate that with scrambled egg, french toast, waffles,
pancakes and toast.

--
Pip, in NZ

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - March 02 - 4lb 12oz
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - Feb 05 - 3lb 14oz
Two and a half and still a terror!!

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Old January 23rd 08, 12:01 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Clisby wrote:

My husband and son like oatmeal (old-fashioned, not instant).

My kids' favorite for oatmeal is to do the steel cut
oats in the crockpot overnight. The best thing is that it's
hot and ready for everyone as they need it. I have kids going
out the door every hour on the hour for three hours, so it's
nice for the first to get a hot meal without my having to get
out of bed ;-) I just lay out assorted toppings the night
before next to the crockpot.

Best wishes,
Ericka