Amusing stats

Old March 22nd 04, 03:16 AM
Werebat

Default Amusing stats

So, just got the skinny on my ex's finances for the entire year of
2003... Because she was cheating and collecting money from me as well as
Welfare for our son, her monthly finances broke down to:

$600 (Social Security, disability (depression))
$400 (Welfare, for our son)
$216 (Child Support)
$178 ("Student Loan Repayments" I gave her as part of divorce agreement)
$300 (Food Stamps)

These are conservative estimates, so the reality is that she was pulling
in about $1700 per month for sitting on her ass. The "Student Loan
Repayments" do not go to paying anything off, she uses them to live off
of.

Mind you, she has our son in her presence less than 40% of the week.

So, collecting a tax-free revenue of over $20,000 per year, for caring
for her own son 40% of the time while I work full-time and care for me
son the same amount of time to pull in about $30,000 (after taxes, CS,
and "loan repayment" money).

But let's not forget the money she collected from churches with her sob
stories of living "below the poverty level" (at $20,000 per year,
tax-free)!

"In the big rock candy mountain..."

Now that she's been revealed as a Welfare Fraud, the best she can hope
for for next year is:

$600 (SS)
$700 (CS)
$300 (Food Stamps)

$1600 per month.

CS could easily be raised by our state law, but it would be highly
unlikely to see it jacked up to the max if she's off Welfare and I have
the child so much of the time. She's also been told that Food Stamps
will to lowered with the loss of Welfare.

I am not legally obligated to give the "Student Loan" money, and if I
felt I was getting screwed with CS, I'd drop the loan payment money
because I can.

What we have to do now is come up with an agreed-upon sum of money, and
present it to the judge. I've offered half of the maximum CS amount, or
about $350 per month.

Not sure what the point of this was, it's just that I was floored she was
getting so muhc in food stamps and amazed at how much money she was
raking in for the past year, while claiming to be living "below the
poverty level". She's still on my health insurance. Amazing.

- Ron ^*^
Old March 22nd 04, 04:13 AM
Bob Whiteside

"Werebat" wrote in message ...
[...]

You've got to be kidding! It's hard to take you seriously when you post
erroneously to get people to react. But assuming what you posted is
factual:

1. Take her off your health care insurance ASAP. Leave the child on your
coverage.
2. Stop making non-court ordered student loan payments.
3. Turn her in for welfare fraud and demand your previous CS payments be
credited to reimburse the state for welfare benefits. If you don't do this
you will be forced to pay the CS already paid a second time to the state.

Now explain a couple of things. She would have to name some man as the
father of her child to get welfare benefits. If she didn't name you as the
putative father, who did she name? And has the state come after you for a
CS order to reimburse welfare benefits? And why aren't you already paying
CS to the state based on an existing CS order?

Old March 23rd 04, 01:28 AM
Werebat

Bob Whiteside wrote:

"Werebat" wrote in message ..
[...]

Nope. This is all true.

But assuming what you posted is
factual:

1. Take her off your health care insurance ASAP. Leave the child on your
coverage.

I cannot. In Rhode Island, anyway, I have been told by a lawyer and my
health insurance company that the only way to get her off the health
insurance would be for one of us to get married, or for me to lose my
job.

2. Stop making non-court ordered student loan payments.

Yes, those may stop soon, depending on what we agree to out of court
about CS payments. She knows that I can always just stop payments on
the loans if I'm not happy with the CS, but this complicates things
because I'll be done with the money I agreed to pay in a few years.
Which is to say, nothing is stopping her from agreeing to one amount of
CS, plus the "loan repayment" money, and then turning around and getting
back on Welfare as soon as that money runs out.

3. Turn her in for welfare fraud and demand your previous CS payments be
credited to reimburse the state for welfare benefits. If you don't do this
you will be forced to pay the CS already paid a second time to the state.

Already been done! Or, I'm in the process... Actually the woman who
worked for the Welfare Fraud Unit seemed really helpful, almost like she
actually cared about my situation. We'll see how that goes, but I'm
optimistic.

Now explain a couple of things. She would have to name some man as the
father of her child to get welfare benefits. If she didn't name you as the
putative father, who did she name?

Umm... She named ME.

And has the state come after you for a
CS order to reimburse welfare benefits? And why aren't you already paying
CS to the state based on an existing CS order?

Ah.

Well, it went like this.

When we divorced, we mediated and I we agreed to $216 per month for
child support and $178 per month to repay half of the student living
expense loans she had incured while we lived together (this is sort of
BS, looking back, because I contributed the lion's share of money to the
household while we were together, and I'll never get any of that back
from her because I didn't borrow it, I earned it... But at the time we
had just spent $3000 of her loan money to buy me a car, and I didn't feel
right just leaving her with the bill on that one).

We were told that the judge would just rubber-stamp our mediation
agreement, but that's not exactly what happened. He raised the CS by $50
per month, and removed the $178 loan repayment entirely. Neither of us
read the actual decree, working on the assumption that it was just a
rubber-stamp of our agreement.

Trouble for me really started when she got on Welfare. We both received
summons to court to have my CS adjusted, and I didn't understand why (we
had only divorced a few months previously, and she said she hadn't asked
to have CS adjusted... Now I know better how the system works). We both
forgot to appear in court -- we're absent-minded and didn't realize what
was really going on -- and remembered on the same day. She called
Welfare and they told her that the court date was only to tell us that
her CS payments had to go to the Family Court system instead of to her
directly. I began making payments to the Family Court System, but for
$216 per month -- not the $266 per month the state knew about from
reading the divorce decree. Therefore, by their reckoning, I was $50 per
month short on my payments. Also, I hadn't shown up in court for them to
"adjust" (read: raise) my CS obligation.

Eventually my ex got off Welfare, and told me to pay her directly. I
called Welfare to check on this and a clerk told me that she was right, I
was all paid up, and she was no longer on Welfare (this was, again, sort
of half true -- my ex was no longer on Welfare, but I wasn't "all paid
up" by CSE's reckoning). I began giving the checks to my ex.

About a year later my ex went back on Welfare. She told me to mail the
checks to the Family Courts again, and I did. A few months later,
something interesting happened. She told me again that she was off
Welfare, and that I should mail the checks directly to her. This time,
she was lying. I had intended to call Welfare to check on this, but I
never got around to it, partly because she had been honest the last time
and I didn't really doubt that she was telling me the truth. I stopped
sending money to the Family Court system and began sending it directly to
her.

This went on for exactly twelve months. At that point, I was pulled over
for "driving suspiciously" at 2:00 am (on the way back from a friend's
house), told that there was a warrant out for my arrest, and taken to
jail. Of course this was early on a Sunday morning, so I ended up having
to go to the ACI for a night. Lots of fun. I never did figure out
exactly what the warrant was FOR, but I think it was for not showing up
in court for them to raise my CS obligation. Again, I understand a lot
more about the system now than I did at the time.

In court, it was revealed that my ex was still on Welfare. Curiously,
the judge harped on the $50 per month I was short in my payments from the
first time my ex got on Welfare, but never mentioned the entire YEAR that
I had made no payments at all! CSE's lawyer also wanted to raise my CS
obligations to the maximum, based on a salary that I didn't make (somehow
they had decided that I earned $60,000 per year). Luckily I had a lawyer
who convinced the judge to continue the case and give us a chance to sort
things out.

Meanwhile, I was ordered to make CS payments to the courts by check. The
first month I did so, CSE also began garnishing my wages ("double
dipping" for a month, as I didn't learn about the garnishment until I had
already sent in the money for that particular month). I was able to
prove that I had made the payments to the payroll office at work, and
they stalled until the end of the month.

I recieved a notice that I had to pay a lump sum to the Family Courts of
about $600, which *seemed* to be for the missing $50 per month from my
ex's original stint with Welfare (it didn't say exactly where the owed
money came from, just that I owed it and if I didn't pay they would
cancel my license, forbid passports, etc.)

In all of this, no one has mentioned the year of payments I didn't make.
My useless lawyer told me not to mention them to anyone. It appears
that this advice would only have gotten me screwed eventually. After
calling CSE and asking them about the situation, I was told to call the
Welfare Fraud Unit. There I was told that if I reported my ex, I would
likely be able to avoid having to pay for the missing year, as they would
come after my ex instead. My ex knew what I was doing, and that I was
just doing it to protect my own finances, and I told the same thing to
the Welfare Fraud woman, who seemed to believe me. She told me she
wasn't going to prosecute my ex, just pull her in and tell her that she
owed them money. My hunch is that trouble will brew if my ex simply
refuses to pay, as CSE will ultimately cast about to take the money from
SOMEONE, and that will be me. My hope is that my ex, confronted with all
the cancelled checks, will concede and get some money from her parents to
pay off Welfare with.

Meanwhile, my ex has gotten off Welfare and we are supposed to appear in
court to agree on an amount of CS, which we are told the judge will
likely agree to. The interesting thing going on is that while the $$$
have certainly lit up in my ex's eyes by this point, she also knows that
if she pushes it too far I will simply stop paying the loan money, which
I am under no obligation to pay. For my part, it makes the most sense to
keep giving her the loan money, at least until an agreement about CS is
reached. After that, we'll see.

- Ron ^*^

Old March 23rd 04, 01:28 AM
Werebat

Bob Whiteside wrote:

"Werebat" wrote in message ..
[...]

Isabella's 2 month Stats DeliciousTruffles Breastfeeding 3 April 14th 04 11:04 AM
bad, but probably amusing Tine Andersen Breastfeeding 12 November 21st 03 02:32 AM
stats deja blues General 10 October 10th 03 06:55 PM
3 hour glucose test stats? Jennifer Rasmussen Pregnancy 6 August 21st 03 05:39 AM