Discouraging

Old April 30th 04, 08:58 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

Default Discouraging

In article , Cam & Shane wrote:
I've just began researching on the net about natural child birth and what
you can do to help the bodies own pain killers help you. Try this website.
I haven't read any of the links yet but it looks promising...

http://bonni.net/birth/labor/index.html

Good luck
Camille

Thanks, Camille - I'll dig into this when I get home!

Liz
EDD 5/22/04
--

"No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason and
spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable - and we believe they
Old April 30th 04, 09:02 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

In article 3xxkc.305916$Pk3.178264@pd7tw1no,
Lil Nicky's Mom wrote:
Don't be discouraged, Liz. I am the only one within my group of friends that
had a natural birth. Went through 13 hours of labour and no drugs, no
epidural. I actully didn't even think about using epidural during the whole
process, I guess I just can't stand the thought of having a long needle poke
in through my spine.

That's a big, big motivator for me. Pain? No problem. Needles? In my
BACK?? EEK. (Irrational, I know!)

All my friends had "surgically removed" their babies.

BTW, I hope I didn't offend anyone with this phrase - when I read it now it
does sound a bit like I'm describing having one's gall bladder removed or
something! There just aren't a lot of synonyms for "cesarean section" out
there.

have a c-section. Some of my friends had c-section for both their babies.
They just don't really like the idea of going through hours of labour.

And I can understand this. I don't begrudge anyone else their own choices
or experience. I'm just missing being able to talk to someone about it, I
suppose.

Liz
EDD 5/22/04

Old April 30th 04, 09:08 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

You are doing what you can to
prepare and you will do just fine. You will either
succeed at going unmedicated or you will determine that
doing something different is the right thing for you
at the time. It will all work out in the end.

Thanks for the encouragement, Ericka. :-) I know we'll get through this.
I'm fortunate that I've got a really good support system. I think my DH
would knock over anybody who tried to do anything I hadn't agreed to.

Liz
EDD 5/22/04

Old April 30th 04, 10:12 PM
Kim E.

In article , says...
No, nothing to do with baby. She's doing great.

I've wanted throughout this pregnancy to deliver naturally, no drugs. I do
understand that I might change my mind in the middle of it; and I know that
sometimes medical conditions present themselves that make more rigorous
interventions necessary. I trust my midwives, and if they tell me that my
baby needs to be induced or removed surgically, I won't hesitate. Like each
of us, what I want most out of all of this is a healthy child.

But, wow, I don't know ANYBODY who's given birth naturally. The most recent
births here at my office are one coworker whose wife had an unexpected c-
section, and a woman who was induced at 42 weeks. Every woman I've talked to
has had scheduled sections, or inductions with epidurals. And every situation
is different, and I don't know enough details about ANY of their stories to
even hazard a guess about what the reasons were.

Like I said, I don't know what's going to happen with us. We're doing what
we can - I'm working to urge her into a good birth position, I'm doing my
kegels, DH is reviewing all of our baby class materials. I've also got a
birth plan that covers contingencies such as potential cesarean. I know that
plans and realities often differ, and I think I'm prepared psychologically for
that possibility.

I just have NOBODY to talk to who's been able to do it the way I'd like to.
I got the old "You don't get a medal for suffering" line when I mentioned I
hadn't already requested an epidural. I don't want to "suffer," I just want
to have my baby safely, and as naturally as possible.

Hi! I am feeling a bit like you are. I am 25 wks pregnant with my
first, and I am just totally enjoying learning all about pregnancy and
childbirth, and I'd like to go natural (partly because I HATE needles!)
and I have no one to talk to about it either. In fact, when i mentioned
to one of my friends the other day i was wanting to take a Bradley
childbirth class that involves relaxation techniques, she responded that
I wouldn't be able to use those techniques in the middle of childbirth
anyway, and if I was smart I would just get an epidural and get it over
with. Oi vey. The website that someone posted was really great, it
had myths about natural childbirth and responses to those myths, and one
of them actually covered the comment someone made to you about the
medal! I am going to start going to La Leche league meetings just to
try to meet some like-minded people. Good luck and keep in touch!!

-kim
edd Aug 7, 2004

Old April 30th 04, 10:15 PM
Shelly

"Elizabeth H Bonesteel" wrote in message

Sorry to rant. I guess I'm just feeling sort of isolated.

Liz
EDD 5/22/04

Liz - I don't know where you are located, but is there a stand-alone birth
center in your area? Ours has (free) support groups for parents that anyone
can attend, even if you did not give birth there. That might be another good
place to meet people who had a drug-free birth. Also are you using a doula?
She might be able to put you in contact with others...

Best of luck to you. It is hard, but very rewarding...and having your DH on
board will make it easier. You can do it!
-Michelle
Mom to Owen 3/17/04

PS...if you haven't made up a birth plan, I'd highly recommend writing one
up. If anyone had suggested pain killers during transition, I would have
given up and taken them. Since no one suggested, I had to really think about
asking for them, and was able to make it without. Also, I found out later
that at our hospital at least, the nurses review the birth plans of incoming
patients, and pick the births they want to work on. My nurse saw I was
working with a doula and wanted to go natural, and so she signed on to
attend my birth because she loves working on births like that. Without the
birth plan, I could have just as easily have ended up with a nurse that
thought it crazy to try to birth without an epi. Best of luck!

Old April 30th 04, 10:25 PM
Tori M.

Now as for the medal for suffering *growls* I was given the "would you
refuse anasthesia for a filling in your tooth?

I actualy have refused novacane for fillings.. I was horrably afraid of
needles as a child/teen and I just told them that if the cavity was not that
deep then why bother with the novacane.. it isnt like they could get the
needle near my head anyway

I did have an epidural though (got over my fear of needles.)

Tori
--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old April 30th 04, 10:45 PM
Karen Ray-Stewart

I gave birth naturally with my first...I had to have pitocin, but no pain
killer...... I was not progressin on my own and it was my first.
Karen

Old April 30th 04, 11:54 PM
Cam & Shane

Last night I was getting contractions about 5 minutes apart, for about
40 secs a time (yay for Contraction Timer! ). Went to bed and got
about 6 hours sleep and they seem to have gone now, but I guess things
might actually happen this weekend!
--
Maggie
EDD 28 April

Wow!!! Good luck - keep us posted :-)
Cam

---

Old May 1st 04, 12:41 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Nic H wrote:

Another point to mention, I've watched birth stories on TV, and
watched how women effortlessly give birth with an epidural, and enjoy
the whole thing. When my daughter was born, I was still reeling in pain
with stitches being sewn and had to hand her to my sister and couldn't
feed until they had finished up which then hurt because you contract
when you feed. So, there IS something to be said about medicated, and
unmedicated births... it's all about the tolerance I guess you have for
pain?

And about the birth you have, and the caregivers you
have, and the support you have too. I didn't have medications
for any of my births, but I also didn't have any tearing (thanks
to very good support from my midwives, I believe) and I
certainly wasn't in terrible pain after the birth. Afterpains
are a bite, especially after later babies, but they weren't
absolutely horrible.

Best wishes,
Ericka