Discouraging

Old May 1st 04, 12:43 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Discouraging

Lil Nicky's Mom wrote:

My baby was breached until a week before he was born, I thought I was going
to need a c-section.

Even if the baby is breech, it is often possible to
have an external version to turn the baby and avoid the
c-section. A few care providers will even still do vaginal
breech births with the right sort of situation.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 1st 04, 01:28 AM
Maggie

Cam & Shane spake thusly

Last night I was getting contractions about 5 minutes apart, for about
40 secs a time (yay for Contraction Timer! ). Went to bed and got
about 6 hours sleep and they seem to have gone now, but I guess things
might actually happen this weekend!
--
Maggie
EDD 28 April

Wow!!! Good luck - keep us posted :-)

Thanks After brekkie I went back to bed for a few hours for another
sleep. Getting the odd niggle now, but trying not to get too excited.
Bubs is moving around a bit, so I guess he's not keen on moving on out
anytime soon..?

Anyway, figure an afternoon of snacking and playing computer games might
be nice!
--
Maggie
EDD 28 April
Old May 1st 04, 03:43 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Cathy Weeks wrote:

I'm not sure why so many doctors are inducing at 42 weeks these days -
Do they really think the woman wouldn't eventually go into labor on
her own? I really wonder what the risks are, and if they are
significant?

The risk of a bad outcome does go up after 42 weeks
according to studies, though fortunately such bad outcomes
are still blessedly rare. Of course, there are many possible
confounds with this sort of research. It's possible that
causality is mixed up or that research hasn't been looking
at all the right issues. I don't think the 42 weeks
induction recommendation is totally specious. That said, it's
not the most strongly supported recommendation in the
known universe either. It's an area that is really, really
tough to research, though. You've got really small numbers
(so it takes a very large study to catch enough cases),
it's already against standard practice (so it's tough to
randomize people to a wait-and-see policy), and we don't
know enough about what goes wrong when babies die in that
situation to even know what all the right things to look
at are.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 1st 04, 05:56 AM
Leslie

It *is* discouraging, isn't it? So many, if not most, women seem to have no
interest whatsoever in delivering naturally. I have heard so many of them say,
"I can't wait to get my epidural!" When I delivered my 4th baby (VBA3C), I was
on t.v.because he was so large. They interviewed my doctor as well. He later
told me that the reaction he got from his other patients was along the lines
of, "You wouldn't let that happen to ME, would you? You would induce before
the baby got so big, or give me a section?" That really depressed me!

As far as unmedicated labors, my sister has had two of them, my cousin had one
even with Pitocin, and I know lots of other people as well. I myself have had
tow unmedicated *labors* of 30 hours or so apiece, unfortunately culminating in
c-sections. I had pre-eclampsia and pitocin last time and what with having to
be in bed the whole time could not cope without an epidural, but my greatest
desire this time is to go natural.

There are people here who understand what you want and are here to talk about
it!

Leslie
Old May 1st 04, 04:31 PM
Nancy P

"Elizabeth H Bonesteel" wrote in message
In article ,
You took care of yourself and your baby. That's not quitting; that's

being
smart.

Liz
EDD 5/22/04

Thanks Liz. Its just a personal goal of mine that I will probably never
reach (unless down the line we decide to go for baby #3).

Nancy

Old May 1st 04, 10:47 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

In article ,
Nancy P wrote:

Thanks Liz. Its just a personal goal of mine that I will probably never
reach (unless down the line we decide to go for baby #3).

That's actually part of why I'm trying to prepare myself as best I can. We
plan for this to be our one-and-only baby (DH already has two grown kids,
and I'm not so young anymore!). Weird as it sounds, I want to know what
natural childbirth is like, even if it's dreadful. I *will* be disappointed
if I can't give birth that way - but it's not my only goal with this pregnancy.
It's not even my most important goal. My most important goal is for baby,
DH and I to get through this together as best we can - whatever that ends
up looking like when we're done.

Liz
EDD 5/22/04

--

"No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason and
spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable - and we believe they
Old May 1st 04, 10:56 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

[Apologies if this screws up anybody's threading. I lost some posts and had
to find them through Google.]

Kim E. says:
Hi! I am feeling a bit like you are. I am 25 wks pregnant with my
first, and I am just totally enjoying learning all about pregnancy and
childbirth, and I'd like to go natural (partly because I HATE needles!)
and I have no one to talk to about it either.

I'm a big needle-phobe, too! Our last natural childbirth class was talking
about painkillers and medical interventions (because even in a natural class
they want you to know what your options are), and I found the discussion of
spinals and epidurals worse than anything else we had discussed! ;-)

In fact, when i mentioned
to one of my friends the other day i was wanting to take a Bradley
childbirth class that involves relaxation techniques, she responded that
I wouldn't be able to use those techniques in the middle of childbirth
anyway, and if I was smart I would just get an epidural and get it over
with.

Well, she's certainly entitled to do what works for her when she is in labor -
I know lots of "smart" women who were quite happy with their epidurals, and
had healthy, happy births and babies. But it'd be nice, wouldn't it, if she
supported your personal choice as well!

Liz
EDD 5/22/04

Old May 1st 04, 11:02 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

Shelly says:
Liz - I don't know where you are located, but is there a stand-alone birth
center in your area?

I'm actually giving birth at one of these. I've been delighted with the
support of the midwives there; but I'm not much of a "networker" and I
haven't picked up any real friends. (Given my age, most of my current
friends are long past having babies!) The midwives are very patient about
reassuring me, though. Heaven knows I'm built for pregnancy! ;-)

...if you haven't made up a birth plan, I'd highly recommend writing one
up.

I've done this, actually, including a detailed plan in case I should end up
at the hospital with an induction or a C-section. DH and I have also
extensively discussed what my desires are, and how I'd like for him to
support me. It's rough for him - he knows he won't like watching me in
pain - but he also knows how important it is to me to do this on my own,
if at all possible.

Liz
EDD 5/22/04

Old May 1st 04, 11:05 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

Karen Ray-Stewart says:

I gave birth naturally with my first...I had to have pitocin, but no pain
killer...... I was not progressin on my own and it was my first.

That's good to hear about the pitocin. I worry most about wanting an epi
to get through that (if I end up with an induction/augmentation). I'm glad
it worked so well for you. :-)

Liz
EDD 5/22/04