OT Developmental Questions

Old April 6th 04, 08:36 PM
Kathy

Default OT Developmental Questions

I realize that babies develop at their own pace, but I have a few areas
of (minor) concern with my daughter and I was hoping for some input from
others.

DD will be 7 months old in 10 days...

She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is quite
wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I balance her
just so. When were you're children able to sit on their own?

She can roll from front to back (sometimes she will do it 2-3 times in a
row)...but most of the time she just gets aggrivated and cries. She
can't go from back to front at all. When were your children able to
roll both ways (if ever)?

She makes growling, cooing, coughing and screeching noises among
others...but no repetition of one syllable worlds like mamamamamama or
dadadadadada. When were your children able to do this?

It seems like she has been teething for months, but no teeth showing
yet. When did your children get their first teeth?

Thanks for any input. I usually don't worry about what other's say
their children can do, but DH works with several women with young
grandchildren/neices, etc...and they're always comparing notes. Most of
them are able to sit, have first teeth, etc etc.

Thanks in advance,
Kathy

Old April 6th 04, 09:04 PM
Cat

"Kathy" skrev i en meddelelse

She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is quite
wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I balance her
just so. When were you're children able to sit on their own?

One of them 5.5 mos - the other 7-something

She can roll from front to back (sometimes she will do it 2-3 times in a
row)...but most of the time she just gets aggrivated and cries. She
can't go from back to front at all. When were your children able to
roll both ways (if ever)?

LATE!

She makes growling, cooing, coughing and screeching noises among
others...but no repetition of one syllable worlds like mamamamamama or
dadadadadada. When were your children able to do this?

Forgot

It seems like she has been teething for months, but no teeth showing
yet. When did your children get their first teeth?

One 9 mos - other 4 mos (ouch!)

BTW - both children are quite bright and plays chess. The 11-yo girl in
competetions, the 6 yo boy in a chess club.

Both of them roll both ways, both of them can sit, and both of them have
teeth and can speak - the problem now is to make them stop :-)

Both of them didn't walk a second before 15 mos - one never crawled.

Tine, Denmark

Old April 6th 04, 09:14 PM
Irrational Number

Kathy wrote:

DD will be 7 months old in 10 days...

She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is quite
wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I balance her
just so. When were you're children able to sit on their own?

Pillbug is almost 10 months. He still cannot sit up
on his own. Surrounded by pillows, he'll last for
a minute or so before doing the drunken toppling
over. (Pediatrician is not worried.)

She can roll from front to back (sometimes she will do it 2-3 times in a
row)...but most of the time she just gets aggrivated and cries. She
can't go from back to front at all. When were your children able to
roll both ways (if ever)?

Well, Pillbug learned to roll at 4 months. Then,
he decided he did not like being on his stomach,
so he stopped (which worried one of our doctor
friends). Then, suddenly at 8 months, he decided
that he likes rolling after all. Just this week, he
learned to actually get somewhere by rolling.

She makes growling, cooing, coughing and screeching noises among
others...but no repetition of one syllable worlds like mamamamamama or
dadadadadada. When were your children able to do this?

He's done the repetitive syllables for several
months now. "ba", "ma", "da", "deh", "ga"

It seems like she has been teething for months, but no teeth showing
yet. When did your children get their first teeth?

At 8 months. Got 2 teeth, now two months
later, still those same 2 teeth.

Don't worry. As long as they are all at approximately
the same stage by, oh, 18 months or so, I wouldn't
worry. Since we're doing the fully bilingual thing at
home, I don't expect Pillbug to talk until he's 3!

-- Anita --

Old April 6th 04, 09:22 PM
toypup

"Kathy" wrote in message

I realize that babies develop at their own pace, but I have a few areas
of (minor) concern with my daughter and I was hoping for some input from
others.

DD will be 7 months old in 10 days...

She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is quite
wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I balance her
just so. When were you're children able to sit on their own?

6 months

She can roll from front to back (sometimes she will do it 2-3 times in a
row)...but most of the time she just gets aggrivated and cries. She
can't go from back to front at all. When were your children able to
roll both ways (if ever)?

4 months

She makes growling, cooing, coughing and screeching noises among
others...but no repetition of one syllable worlds like mamamamamama or
dadadadadada. When were your children able to do this?

Don't remember.

It seems like she has been teething for months, but no teeth showing
yet. When did your children get their first teeth?

6 months.

Thanks for any input. I usually don't worry about what other's say
their children can do, but DH works with several women with young
grandchildren/neices, etc...and they're always comparing notes. Most of
them are able to sit, have first teeth, etc etc.

When talking with other moms, my child always seemed behind. Either the
women were exaggerating or they were only emphasizing the positives. No one
wants to brag about how late their child did whatever. The best way for me
to get a look at how DS was doing was to take mommy and me classes. It was
because of those classes that my expectations were grounded in reality. I
could see a whole classroom full of kids DS's age and found that DS blended
in quite well. I figured if I could see a noticeable difference there, I'd
better go see the ped.

Old April 6th 04, 09:23 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Kathy wrote:
When were you're children able to sit on their own?

Caterpillar sat on her own at 5 months. My mom says I couldn't sit
without propping at 8 months. Both Caterpillar and I walked at 9
months, if that gives you an idea of how much being a good sitter
affects things.

When were your children able to
roll both ways (if ever)?

4 months, I think, but she never cared about rolling.

no repetition of one syllable worlds like mamamamamama or
dadadadadada. When were your children able to do this?

Caterpillar at 10 months still makes only one noise: aaaaaaaaaa. She
will put an "m" sound in now and then, but not in any meaningful way.
She also doesn't growl.

When did your children get their first teeth?

Caterpillar, who I'd swear has been teething since 3 months, is
toothless at 10 months.

Phoebe

Old April 6th 04, 09:53 PM
Jacqui

Kathy wibbled

DD will be 7 months old in 10 days...

T is just over 8 months.

She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is
quite wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I
balance her just so. When were you're children able to sit on
their own?

Somewhere between sitting-but-slumping at 5 months and sitting
confidently at 6, we didn't really spot the exact time he stopped
slumping forwards (because he could still sit back up, just wasn't good
at staying up), bad us!

She can roll from front to back (sometimes she will do it 2-3
times in a row)...but most of the time she just gets aggrivated
and cries. She can't go from back to front at all. When were
your children able to roll both ways (if ever)?

T's never really been interested in rolling. He does it now to get from
sitting to crawling or vice versa, or to get away at nappy changing
time g but doesn't seem to do it otherwise. He *can*, he just
doesn't. So I can't honestly give you data beyond "he could roll over
at 4m but not consistently".

She makes growling, cooing, coughing and screeching noises among
others...but no repetition of one syllable worlds like
mamamamamama or dadadadadada. When were your children able to do
this?

T is a drunken Glaswegian, it seems - all his 'words' now sound like
'abuff blith wee oom oom' (if you've heard Rab C Nesbitt that will
cover it nicely). No repetition, just what sounds like carefully
articulated conversation that we simply cannot understand.

It seems like she has been teething for months, but no teeth
showing yet. When did your children get their first teeth?

One week past seven months (and then two in five days).

Jac
Old April 6th 04, 10:18 PM
Nikki

Kathy wrote:

When were you're children able to sit on their own?

Hunter at 5 months
Luke at 6 months

When were your children able
to roll both ways (if ever)?

Hunter at about 7-8 months. He hardly ever rolled either way so it is hard
to remember.
Luke - 6 months

but no repetition of one syllable worlds like mamamamamama or
dadadadadada. When were your children able to do this?

Hunter 12 months
Luke 10 months

When did your children get their first teeth?

Both at 4 months but that is early.

She sounds perfectly normal and on target to me! She's just a little peanut
yet :-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old April 6th 04, 10:52 PM
JennP

"Kathy" wrote in message

She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is quite
wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I balance her
just so. When were you're children able to sit on their own?

He sat unsupported at almost 8 months. Believe it or not, he couldn't get
himself into a sitting position until almost 11 months. He has no history of
any motor problems. In fact, his motor skills are above average.
She can roll from front to back (sometimes she will do it 2-3 times in a
row)...but most of the time she just gets aggrivated and cries. She
can't go from back to front at all. When were your children able to
roll both ways (if ever)?

About the same time he started sitting unsupported. About 7.5 months.

She makes growling, cooing, coughing and screeching noises among
others...but no repetition of one syllable worlds like mamamamamama or
dadadadadada. When were your children able to do this?

Don't remember, but that seems pretty normal to me.

It seems like she has been teething for months, but no teeth showing
yet. When did your children get their first teeth?

8.5 months.

Thanks for any input. I usually don't worry about what other's say
their children can do, but DH works with several women with young
grandchildren/neices, etc...and they're always comparing notes. Most of
them are able to sit, have first teeth, etc etc.

Stop comparing notes and tell dh to stop sharing these stories with you.
Your baby sounds perfectly fine.

If you really have concerns then you should talk to your pediatrician, but
your baby sounds pretty normal to me.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old April 6th 04, 11:28 PM
nina

"Kathy" wrote in message

I realize that babies develop at their own pace, but I have a few areas
of (minor) concern with my daughter and I was hoping for some input from
others.

DD will be 7 months old in 10 days...

She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is quite
wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I balance her
just so. When were you're children able to sit on their own?

7 months is about average, but if she has a big head or hasnt had time
to practice it can be harder to get the strength and balance needed.

She can roll from front to back (sometimes she will do it 2-3 times in a
row)...but most of the time she just gets aggrivated and cries.

Sounds about right.

She
can't go from back to front at all. When were your children able to
roll both ways (if ever)?

Mine can at 5 months and 2 weeks, but she isnt consistent.

She makes growling, cooing, coughing and screeching noises among
others...but no repetition of one syllable worlds like mamamamamama or
dadadadadada. When were your children able to do this?

Cant remember.

It seems like she has been teething for months, but no teeth showing
yet. When did your children get their first teeth?

9-10 months with the first 2. This one is w/my 2nd husband so I am not sure
how long it will take her teeth to show, though she is currently teething.

Old April 6th 04, 11:35 PM
H Schinske

"Kathy" wrote in message

She can not sit up on her own, and when I do sit her up she is quite
wobbly. Sometimes she can stay up for a few seconds if I balance her
just so. When were your children able to sit on their own?

Two of mine crawled before they sat. One was pulling up as well -- I am fairly
sure by then he *could* sit, he just never did!

I think the girls both first sat without propping at around eight months and I
never actually *saw* my son sit until, hmmm, maybe ten months, judging by the
pulling-up thing (he took his first steps on his first birthday, presumably he
was pulling up for some time before that). It definitely took the girls some
time before they could sit well on their own.

Don't worry AT ALL about the teeth thing. That isn't something that is related
to any other kind of development. Kids who get teeth late are less likely to
get cavities in their baby teeth, too, which is a plus. (Though my kids all
three had a clean dental checkup today, none has ever had a cavity, and they
teethed right about at an average time, six months or so.)

--Helen