vitamin D supplements?

Old July 26th 03, 12:24 AM
jake's mom

Default vitamin D supplements?

DS had his 2 month Dr. appointment today and we were told by a nurse-not the
Dr.- that he needs vitamin D supplements because he is exclusively
breastfed. Is this true? I take a prenatal vitamin, which I know is for my
benefit, but don't any of the vitamins pass through my milk to him? He
checked out good--still in the 90%ile for height, weight, and head
circumference--I was worried that he was not getting enough nutrition from
me! Am I supposed to add this supplement to his diet though?

Thanks, Robin

Old July 26th 03, 02:01 AM
Rob and Laura

WE gave it to Izabella during the winter months seeing that there was hardly
any sun and we was hardly outside so she was not getting vit D from the sun.
But now for the summer we do not give it to her.
WE had it in liquid form so we just gave it to her that way 1ml was what she
had.

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

. com...

Old July 26th 03, 02:36 AM
Spanannie

If you're in the sun 10-15 min per day, you're fine.

I'm in Texas, so our pediatrician says it's not a problem we have here.

Annie
mom to Zach 6.19.02

. com...

Old July 26th 03, 02:38 AM
kirsti

DS had his 2 month Dr. appointment today and we were told by a nurse-not the
Dr.- that he needs vitamin D supplements because he is exclusively
breastfed.

Given some current reports of rickets cases being on the rise, most
physicians are recommending Vitamin D supplementation across the board
for all children. Normally the body can produce vitamin D through
exposure to sunlight. Children who have dark skin, live in overcast
areas, or use sunscreen are at risk for not synthesizing enough
vitamin D.

One of the ways you can supplement with vitamin D is to give your baby
1 tsp of cod liver oil every day. Cod liver oil contains vitamins A
and D, as well as essential fatty acids that help in brain
development. There's also some current research suggesting that cod
liver oil may reduce the rate of ear infections.

--
kirsti

Old July 26th 03, 03:07 AM
Beth

"jake's mom" wrote in message
. com...
DS had his 2 month Dr. appointment today and we were told by a nurse-not

the
Dr.- that he needs vitamin D supplements because he is exclusively
breastfed. Is this true?

Probably not. I gave DS vitamin D drops during the winter because his ped
said, "Breast milk alone should be good enough, but if vitamin D deficiency
would happen it would probably happen in Wisconsin in the winter."

I stopped when it got warm enough to take him outside at length.

Beth

Old July 26th 03, 04:20 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"jake's mom" wrote:

DS had his 2 month Dr. appointment today and we were told by a nurse-not the
Dr.- that he needs vitamin D supplements because he is exclusively
breastfed. Is this true?

The reasoning is definitely wrong, but the need for supplementation depends on
where you live and how old your baby is. Details please!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old July 26th 03, 04:22 AM
Chookie

In article ,
kirsti wrote:

Given some current reports of rickets cases being on the rise, most
physicians are recommending Vitamin D supplementation across the board
for all children. Normally the body can produce vitamin D through
exposure to sunlight. Children who have dark skin, live in overcast
areas, or use sunscreen are at risk for not synthesizing enough
vitamin D.

Er, would you mind indicating in which country you are? I doubt the rise in
rickets is a worldwide phenomenon!

Old July 26th 03, 07:21 AM
SarahB

One of the ways you can supplement with vitamin D is to give your baby
1 tsp of cod liver oil every day. Cod liver oil contains vitamins A
and D, as well as essential fatty acids that help in brain
development. There's also some current research suggesting that cod
liver oil may reduce the rate of ear infections.

1 tsp sounds high (even for an adult). Vitamin A and D are stored in
the body and high concentrations can be bad. So it would be better to
supplement
only when there is no sun exposure and only in small amounts. I would
ask
your pediatrician.

sarah
Old July 26th 03, 02:08 PM
jake's mom

DS is 2 months old. We live in North Carolina--summertime now--we try to
spend a little time outside everyday but it is very hot right now so we
limit to only 10-15 minutes at a time(maybe 2-3 times daily). Is this
enough?

Thanks, Robin

Old July 26th 03, 04:07 PM
K.B.

My Dr. said to not worry about rickets. He said the baby can take vitamins
when he gets a little older but he's not concerned about it now.
Kris