Day and night meals mixed-up

Old January 13th 04, 08:25 PM
sher

Default Day and night meals mixed-up

Before I went back to work, Aamon (3mo) nursed every 3-4 hours during
the day and would go 5-6 hours between meals at night. This schedule
was working great for everyone. However, since I've started back to
work, he has switched his days and nights, and doesn't each much
during the day. He takes a bottle of EBM fine when he's hungry, but
he just isn't hungry much during the day now. He'll fill up before I
go to work and then he'll happily go 4 hours or more between meals
while I'm gone. When he does take a bottle, he often only drinks 3
ounces. When I pump, I'm getting 7-9 ounces so I know he would be
eating more if I was nursing him. DH has tried to get him to take in
more EBM during the day, but Aamon just isn't interested. Luckily, I
am able to meet them for at least one feeding each day and he eats a
lot then. Once I get home, he wants to nurse every 2 - 2 ½ hours
through the evening and into the night. He seems genuinely hungry,
not just comfort nursing. It's apparent that he just wants his mommy
to feed him and I understand that, but I also know that I'm a much
better mommy when I get a good night's sleep. Is there any way to
encourage him to fill up more during the day and not eat all night
long? Co-sleeping appears to be the answer, but I get even less sleep
then. I just have never been able to sleep with an infant in my bed.

Thanks!

~ Sher
Old January 14th 04, 03:13 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

sher wrote:
He'll fill up before I
go to work and then he'll happily go 4 hours or more between meals
while I'm gone. When he does take a bottle, he often only drinks 3
ounces.

Caterpillar is the same way. She's permanently attached from 10pm to 8am,
and takes maybe 6-9 ounces from 8:30am to 6:30pm, then one or two nursings
once I come home and before bed.

The pump and I are not friends, and there are some days when 6-7 ounces are
all I get in 10 hours, so I'm just as happy. It does make for exhausting
nights, though.

I really don't know that there's a lot you can do to prevent reverse cycle
nursing, any more than you can encourage it.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread; substitute mailbolt