If only sleep were carrots...

Old January 27th 04, 09:34 PM
Nikki

Default If only sleep were carrots...

Phoebe Roberts, EA wrote:

We tried decongestant, but she doesn't like the bitter aftertaste and
threw it all up.

Bummer, it really helped Luke. You might try that J&J baby vapo bath. It
worked great to clear my babies up before bed time. Their noses ran like
crazy in the tub but they were able to nurse well right before bed and it
was awhile before they filled up again. They also make a baby vapo rub that
worked well but I can't remember the age critia on it. I want to say 6
months but it might be older.

If she starts to smell sick, take her back for a check to see if she has a
sinus infection type thing. Sounds awful but Luke would smell sick (his
nose and mouth) when his colds turned into secondary bacterial infections.

Hope you are all sleeping better soon!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old January 27th 04, 10:22 PM

Phoebe & Allyson wrote:

But all right is maybe 45 minutes if it's before 2am. (She sleeps fine from
2am to 5am, for some reason.)

We have the opposite problem - he's sleeps okay until 2am. Everything goes
to hell in the last few hours of sleep.

Manda

Old January 30th 04, 01:13 AM
teapot

"Phoebe Roberts, EA" wrote in message ...
teapot wrote:

have you tried getting her up earlier?

Not yet, but I think from the No Cry Sleep Solution (thanks, Jodie!)
that we need to at least try an earlier bedtime and waking.

We *finally* figured out what was wrong after I left her sleeping on my
chest while I read last night. Apparently the minor snotty nose that
wasn't causing any problems during the day was connected to a huge
amount of postnasal drip - which was pooling at the back of her throat
when she slept and choking her. She slept silently for over an hour,
then got noisier and noisier, then stopped breathing altogether and
jerked upright. I'd scream, too, if I woke up unable to breathe.

It also meant she was swallowing air as she nursed (suck, suck, snort,
suck, suck, gasp), so she woke up smothering and with a bellyful of gas.
And nursing made it worse (still can't breathe), but nursing cures
everything, thus the annoying nursing habits.

We tried decongestant, but she doesn't like the bitter aftertaste and
threw it all up. After changing the sheets, Caterpillar, and both of
us, she was pretty awake, and didn't sleep well for the rest of the
night, but it's *so* much easier to be up all night with a sick baby
than with a "screaming for no apparent reason" baby.

Phoebe

Moo boy has had a similar thing and we have used saline drops in his
nose, seems to dilute the snot and make it a bit easier for him. Are
things better for you now? I hope so.

teapot and the moo
Old January 30th 04, 05:05 PM
Phoebe Roberts, EA

teapot wrote:
Are things better for you now?

Caterpillar is still a sicky, but not up crying all night. We had one
bout of about an hour last night when she couldn't settle comfortably,
but then she slept a blissful 4 hour stretch after that.

I've gone to bed at 9pm every night and gotten up between 8 and 9, so
I'm considerably better.

Phoebe