Cloth diapers (x-posted)

Old January 30th 04, 08:02 PM
kirsti

Default Cloth diapers (x-posted)

So my question to all you cloth diapering mommies out there is...just how
many do I need to buy?! I'll probably do prefolds since I didn't like the
fitted ones. Oh, and how many covers per size?

3 dozen should give you ample room on the days when you don't feel
like getting the diapers out of the dryer. If you're line drying, I'd
recommend 4 dozen.

We have 15 covers but that's because we need 5-7 covers for daycare, 5
for home, and then some to keep in the diaper bag. If baby were home,
I'd probably go with 7 to be on the safe side. You can get factory
second wraps for about half the cost of retail from Pro Services
(makers of ProWraps) 800-397-8594

--
kirsti

Old January 30th 04, 08:54 PM
Anne Marie

I was wondering if you have any tips about washing the diapers at home?
We are leaning towards getting the cloth diapers. I just thought that i
would have a service come and clean and deliver them. I know it sounds
like a dumb question, but how do you wash them at home?
thanks

AnneMarie
#1 Xandria Marie EDD 06-03-04

Old January 30th 04, 11:10 PM
Dawn Lawson

Rob, Laura and Izabella W wrote:

Anne I was just thinking the same thing. I mean what would you do with a
poopie diaper!! I feel so stupid I dont know what to get for cloth diapers
or what to do with them!!

Poop goes into toilet.
EBF poop doesn't need to unless you (as I did) prefer to rinse them.
Diaper into diaper pail, which can hvae water, but doesn't need to.
Soak with washing soda for 30 min before you wash (or add to water in pail)
rinse, wash cycle (some prefer to use hot, I usually just use warm, some
extra rinse, I don't bother most times)
Dry.
Stains bleach out completely in sunlight.

LOTS of information if you google, plenty of different systems.

Dawn

Old January 30th 04, 11:48 PM
Anne Marie

I feel better knowing that i am not the only one

AnneMaire

Old January 31st 04, 12:12 AM
Rob, Laura and Izabella W

Anne I was just thinking the same thing. I mean what would you do with a
poopie diaper!! I feel so stupid I dont know what to get for cloth diapers
or what to do with them!!

--
Laura, TTC #2
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

#1 Xandria Marie EDD 06-03-04

Old January 31st 04, 12:40 AM
kirsti

I was wondering if you have any tips about washing the diapers at home?
We are leaning towards getting the cloth diapers. I just thought that i
would have a service come and clean and deliver them. I know it sounds
like a dumb question, but how do you wash them at home?
thanks

I throw all the diapers in a big bucket with a screw-on lid no matter
the state of them. When the bucket is full, into the washing machine
everything goes. When I had a top-load washing machine, I washed them
with soap twice and set the second wash for an extra rinse. Now I
have a front-load washing machine and I wash them once with soap and
set the machine for an extra rinse. Once the diapers are in, I
quickly wash the tub in the bathtub/shower with a bit of
detergent/soap/shampoo and a scrubby sponge.

I never pre-soak anything or rinse in the toilet, or use any of the
convoluted methods I've heard about. Just wash and rinse. Everything
comes out. That is to say, the fecal matter washes out of the diapers
and out of the washing machine and leaves via the same sewer line that
every other plumbed object in the house empties into. The washing
machine is never dirty at the end of a cycle. As far as I can tell,
any washing machine built with the last 15 or so years can handle
this.

The daycare my daughter attends uses a cloth diaper service and they
throw the dirty diapers into a plastic bag which the service picks up
every day.

Once baby has started solids and the stools are more formed, you can
buy flushable rice paper inserts that you just drop in the toilet
along with any waste.

Oh, one last hint... if you use cloth diapers, don't bother with any
wraps that don't have gussets at the legs. Gussets = no (or few)
leaks!

kirsti

Old January 31st 04, 07:52 PM
Leslie

I dropped mine in the pail as is, then ran them through a cold rinse to get rid
of solids. Next I soaked them in hot with soap for awhile to get out stains,
rinsed them again, then washed them in hot with soap.

Leslie

WTB: Paying Top Dollar for Kushies Diapers / Kooshies Cuddlers or other cloth diapers Crystal Hall General 2 August 1st 04 12:02 AM
How are disposable diapers supposed to fit (confused cloth diapering Mom)? [email protected] General 7 May 4th 04 05:48 AM
cloth diapers Small Haul Pregnancy 8 March 8th 04 10:47 PM
Cloth Diapers Phoebe & Allyson General 2 August 4th 03 07:39 AM
washing cloth diapers Jen Pregnancy 5 July 24th 03 05:56 PM