Kindergarten angst.--It's all about me, me, me!

Old August 20th 05, 08:54 PM
Pam

Default Kindergarten angst.--It's all about me, me, me!

the girls aren't showing any sigins of anxiety over going to
kindergarten. there's never a worry about Callie, she's so laid back.
Alix expressed some, "I'M NOT GOING TO KINDERGARTEN!" issues when
someone would ask her right after preschool ended. but hey, i felt the
same way! but now she scolds Callie for talking about preschool,
"Preschool is over forever Callie! We're never going back there. Now
that we're five, we are going to kindergarten."

they start full-day kindergarten Aug 29. half-day isn't an option at
their school or i would have gone that route. i'm feeling really
strange. like i'm having an identity crisis! i've got a few job
applications in, but they are part-time jobs. i've been out of the
work force for so long that i'm doubting my abilities. i feel
depressed and anxious when i think about them starting school in about
a week!

i was reading the school newsletter yesterday, to make sure i'm
prepared with everything they need (nap mats, gym shoes, swimsuit,
towel, etc.) and i teared up! ME! i could count on one had how many
times i've cried as adult (BEFORE kids!) and i'm getting weepy about a
school list!

anyone feeling the same way?

andrea, will your kids go to the school where you teach? that'll be
nice for all of you!

pam

Old August 23rd 05, 02:16 PM
Ellen

Pam,

I think what you are feeling is totally normal. My boys have another
year of preschool yet, but when DD went off to kindergarten I was a
mess. Actually, the week prior to school starting was much harder than
the actual first day. I cried every time I thought about her going off
to K, and hers wasn't even every day (two full days, one half). I can
only imagine how hard it's going to be to have them gone all day, every
day.

Big hugs to you. Give us an update on the girls once school starts.
Will they be in the same class?

Ellen
---------------
Erin 6/95
Bradley & Alex 10/00

Old August 24th 05, 03:41 AM
Pam

Big hugs to you. Give us an update on the girls once school starts.
Will they be in the same class?

Ellen

thanx ellen!

the girls will not be in the same class but they will see each other
throughout the day. there are two K-1 classes. they start school at 8
(we are gonna die when it's time to get up Monday!) and the two
classes get together at 8:15 already for storytime. then the K's are
together for...uh...some subject and the first graders do English. at
8:45 they have their first recess. so they'll be together from 8:15
unti 9 i believe.

they have 3 recesses and 1 lunch hour where they will see each other.
i'm not sure how many times the Kindergarteners and first graders
split by grade besides that one time in the morning (we observed in
the morning and this is what i saw.)

i'll update later.
pam

Old August 29th 05, 01:18 PM
Steph

Today is the big day! I hope it's all smiles.

I remember being weepy before, well right after, K started. I'm a bit
that way for 1st grade. Now they are REALLY grade schoolers!

Old August 29th 05, 07:55 PM
Cindy Senger

I'm thinking about you today, too, Pam!! I remember feeling much the same way

at this time last year when my girls were rising Kindergarteners. I really

dreaded it-- I was a weepy, terrible mess on their first day. Though, I did

manage to hide it pretty well thanks to lots of help from dh. Anyway, I wasn't

a whole lot better this year. (School started last Monday here.) First grade

sounds like the beginning of a new chapter, too!! Thankfully, both of my girls

have been very excited about school from the beginning. I think I'm still

going through the identity crisis that you are experiencing and I've still got

one at home with me. You'll be surprised at how busy you can keep yourself.

There were lots of opportunities to be involved in my girls' K classrooms, so I

stayed pretty busy with that. I think you're doing the right thing by looking

for a part-time job-- I think that's what I would do if I didn't still have

Jenna at home. That way, you can still feel free and flexible to visit them at

school and help out when you can. Like I said, I'm still adjusting, so I'm

right there with you. I'll be anxious to hear how the first day or so went for

all of you!

-Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03)
In article ,
says...

Old September 1st 05, 05:16 PM
Pam

it is now the 4th day of school and i am home cleaning this house from
top to bottom. it is taking longer than i thought it would! the girls'
mountain of toys and books are sitting in boxes in my office here,
driving me crazy. thankfully the multiples sale will be coming up in
the next 2 or 3 weeks (ugh! the labeling).

if anyone is interested in how the week has gone:

the first day of school was a half day. alix, who normally sleeps
until 9, got up at 6:30 bright eyed and bushey tailed, singing, etc.
who knew she was a morning person?

callie, who is always the first one up at our house, held up all her
fingers and said from under her blanket, "5 more minutes!"

there was a meeting for the parents the first day, then a tour. we had
to sign up for committees (i am on the halloween committee!) and etc.
we learned about aftercare, lunches, fundraising, etc.

we picked the girls up and they were fine.

i was croaking i was so tired. i thought they'd go to sleep
immediately that night. they were up talking and giggling until 11:00!

the second morning went pretty much the same way getting them up. when
we picked them up from school, alix was all excited they got to have a
nap (the kid who never sleeps!), they got to go to the lunchroom, and
after lunch, "we could go outside...WHENEVER WE WANTED!" i asked if
they sat together at lunch. alix sat with her new best friend, a first
grader who has attached herself to alix (their classes are k-1 mix)
and callie said there was a girl in her class sitting all alone. "I
sat with her because she looked lonely." they went to sleep at 10:00
this night.

alix loves school, except "my teacher is bossy." she said that about
her preschool teacher, whom we LOVED, so we pretty much decided we
made the right decision putting alix in this woman's class. she's a
no-nonsense down-to-earth type.

callie doesn't like school because it starts too early and she misses
Kelly, the other mom. although she thinks it's cool her teacher has
toe rings and pierced ears.

last night, they were asleep by 9:00.

still waiting on some call backs for job interviews, but i definitely
will have enough to do around here keeping this house clean, raking
leaves, putting away the deck furniture, etc.

pam

mom to kindergarteners! alix and callie 3/24/00