We did it....

Old December 28th 03, 08:25 AM
Elana Kehoe

Default We did it....

A & L Lane wrote:

my instinct says it will be ok but I am slightly concerned at a fairly
significant fall down the weight chart - from about 50% to 3%. He is
active, happy and alert and he does eat at times (a full nectarine for
breakfast) so I think maybe he is just finding his spot on the chart but I
dont want to fall into the easy thing of bf instead of offering lots of
solids choice. I have a friend who assures me that she force fed all her
children when they were small and they turned out ok - I just smile and say
nothing and think to myself that her definition of "ok" is a lot different
to mine.

Isn't that how it always is with friends? :-)

Have you tried giving him fatty good food, like avocados? Couscous with
olive oil on it (one of P's faves)? Things like that. Give him lots of
choice, but small amounts. Like a teaspoon of each type of food on a
plate. Really, at this point, P's not eating that much at the sit down
meals. But we give him a little, he asks for more, and we know what he
likes. Don't even mention the word sausage to him unless they're cooked
and on the table :-).

I wish I had better info for you. I just went with the flow, and never
worried about it. I'm sure if you post here under a new subject, you'll
get some better advice than mine. Good luck tho!!! Keep me updated?
--
It's Tis Herself
Old December 28th 03, 09:33 PM
A & L Lane

"Elana Kehoe" wrote in message
A & L Lane wrote:

[...]

Avocado was one of Patrick's big favourites but no luck yet with Angus and I
have kept trying with this one because it is such a good dense healthy food.
I have posted on this subject here and got lots of good suggestions - some
of which I was already trying and some of which I had not thought of. We
are working on it and I dont obsess about his weight - he has good food days
and bad food days - which is quite normal for a toddler - I dont weigh him
often and even then it is just on our probably not very accurate bathroom
scales - he just never seems to move on from 10kg. One of the frustrating
things is that he will really like a particular food one day and I think to
myself "right, I have found something he likes" only to have it emphatically
rejected the next time I offer it - try again a week or 2 later and he likes
it again.

We went to a BBQ at this particular friend's (the force feeding one) place a
few days ago and she was recounting the story of how her son had bad colic
and since he cried while she held him and cried when she didnt, she
eventually decided he might as well cry alone in his cot. At 19, he is
unemployed, mixing with a bad crowd and generally causing a lot of worry for
his parents. While I would never connect the 2 things (linking them would
be way too simplistic an answer) - I cant help feeling that I dont want to
parent that way. Patrick was a very high needs baby and while we did have a
go with controlled crying, it became obvious that it wasnt right for any of
us and we ended up co-sleeping for quite a while. He is a great little kid
now and I dont regret any of the parenting choices I made with him and being
with him when he was crying was high on the list. Gives me confidence that
I dont do a bad job as a mother and we will sort out any feeding problems
with Angus eventually.

cheers
Leah

Old December 28th 03, 11:20 PM
Elana Kehoe

A & L Lane wrote:

Gives me confidence that
I dont do a bad job as a mother and we will sort out any feeding problems
with Angus eventually.

Exactly. I'm glad you see it that way :-). So, again, the instict
kicks in and is *right* :-).
--
It's Tis Herself