She had some peanuts, now what?

Old December 27th 03, 04:13 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default She had some peanuts, now what?

Ok, I've been avoiding peanuts for the last two years so peanut
proteins wouldn't show up in my breastmilk (I have had peanuts on very
rare occasions, in tiny amounts) and Kivi isn't allowed them until
after she's three (she just turned 2). We have a history of severe
food allergies (on both sides of Kivi's family) and asthma and excema,
though Kivi herself only gets some excema in the winter. I delayed
solids til 7 months, and so far she's shown no sign of any food
allergies (except possibly to milk early on - but I went vegan for six
months, and was careful never to give her dairy until after a year,
and then there seemed to be no problem at all.

But we were at a friend's house Christmas day, and someone had made
some "puppy chow" (basically a chex mix with peanut butter and
chocolate), and my husband, without thinking gave her a couple of
bites (she loved it).

Nothing bad happened. But does this mean she isn't allergic, and I
can just give her peanut butter whenever now, or does it mean we just
sensitized her, and she's MORE likely to develop an allergy? Should
we still wait til she's three?

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old December 27th 03, 07:00 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

It means that PROBABLY this is Kivi's first exposure to peanuts, so her
body will now recognize them. It does NOT mean that her likelihood of
developing a peanut allergy has suddenly increased. The likelihood
remains low. However, do continue to avoid peanuts until she's three so
that if her SECOND exposure does precipitate a reaction, she'll be able
to tell you even if the symptoms aren't visible to anyone other than
herself.

If you continue avoidance, her body may "forget" about peanuts. So when
you do try her on them, try her several times over the course of a week
or two, always supervised. Then you'll get "initial" exposure and
subsequent exposures and will be able to see if she has any reaction.

With any luck, she won't.

This is strictly non-medical advice; my expertise is not in peanuts!
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old December 28th 03, 12:52 AM
AmyAmy4734

[...]

Each exposure can increase the likelyhood of sensitization. Don't assume that
you are allergy free yet. In fact, some kids with peanut allergy ate peanuts
just fine until they were 8 or 9 and then suddenly became allergic. Keep
holding off on the peanuts as much as possible. Because of your family's
severe history of food allergies, I would recommend holding off on the peanuts
even until age 5. It is definitely not worth the risk.

If you have any other peanut allergy related questions, you may email me. Put
something in the subject line about peanut allergy or I might miss it.

Amy
mom to Patricia 5-12-99 (anaphylaxic to peanuts)
Christina 3-21-03

Peanut introduction Cheryl S. General 30 November 7th 03 01:35 AM
Peanut butter Leanne Pregnancy 16 November 4th 03 09:39 PM
FAO: Joanne and Irene - Peanuts Truffles Pregnancy 1 August 27th 03 04:15 PM
35 week update! Em Pregnancy 12 August 21st 03 06:35 PM
Good parenting PF Riley Kids Health 23 July 21st 03 09:14 PM