How long till the supply dries up?

Old January 9th 04, 12:27 AM
H Schinske

Default How long till the supply dries up?

Portia wrote:

So it's been about a week since he was last fed. Does anyone have any idea
how long it will be before my breasts dry up? I'm not leaking, but there's
still some milk there. Neither are they engorged... I guess the gradual
stopping helped with that.

There may be some *tiny* amount of milk there for quite a long time. That is
nothing to worry about. The size should change back, if it's going to, within
another week or two, I should think. I got smaller almost right away after my
twins quit nursing, but with my son I'd gone back to pre-nursing size long
before he weaned, and saw no change thereafter.

I didn't 100% dry up after weaning my twins until I got pregnant again, nearly
three years later. It's now three years since my son weaned, and one breast has
dried up and the other I can still get a drop or so if I try.

--Helen
Old January 9th 04, 09:56 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Portia" wrote:

So it's been about a week since he was last fed. Does anyone have any idea
how long it will be before my breasts dry up? I'm not leaking, but there's
still some milk there. Neither are they engorged... I guess the gradual
stopping helped with that. Just occasionally they are a bit lumpy and
uncomfortable, although I'm sure it's not mastitis.

It will decrease gradually, and you are right that gradually cutting down
feeds is a lot easier on your breasts than going cold turkey. Still be on the
lookout for mastitis.

I want to buy some new bras (!!!) but I'd rather wait until they settle down
size-wise.

Probably a good idea to hold off until you are sure that they have deflated!

My mother seems to think I need to go and get a pill from the
doctor to dry up my supply!

They used to do this in the Good Old Days, sometimes without the mother's
consent. The drug they used to use is not considered terribly safe, which is
why it's not done that way any more -- though someone here had it offered to
her a few weeks ago!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old January 9th 04, 10:38 AM
Anne Rogers

Hi Portia,

I can't really say anything about drying up as I've not done it yet,
though I am wondering if I will ever fit in my pre pregnancy bras! (I had
some really nice new ones and I really want to wear them again).

I was just thinking how different our ds's are, Nathanael still gets
almost entirely ebm or straight from source (he got a bottle of formula on
Monday when the 4oz of precious ebm got spilt all over the changing bag
:-(), he switches back to the breast no problem and has almost figured out
undressing me so he can get to "the real thing". We bath together and if I
don't want him to feed I have to restrain him, despite being immobile the
rest of the time he can find his way to the boobs! I don't think I could
stop even if I wanted to!

We should have another meet up...

.... I'll go post on uk.p.p