1st Birthday Questions

Old February 7th 05, 04:19 AM
Carol Ann

Default 1st Birthday Questions

Morgan's birthday is coming up. We are celebrating the traditional Tol
(Korean first birthday). But, I would also like to incorporate an American
side.

I was thinking cake and decorations. There will only be maybe 1 child
there. Since I am an older mom and haven't lived at home for more than 20
years, I don't know any new moms.

My girlfriends are flying in from Maryland, Texas and Florida. A few are
coming down from Atlanta.

What ideas do you have for the cake and decorations?

Would you skip the decorations? Should I make a few grown up 'bags' for my
girlfriends?

I'm at a loss.

Carol Ann
http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=morgankelley&p=3111 ---- Pictures of
Morgan

Old February 7th 05, 05:00 AM
Nikki

Carol Ann wrote:
Morgan's birthday is coming up. We are celebrating the traditional
Tol (Korean first birthday). But, I would also like to incorporate
an American side.

I was thinking cake and decorations. There will only be maybe 1 child
there. Since I am an older mom and haven't lived at home for more
than 20 years, I don't know any new moms.

My girlfriends are flying in from Maryland, Texas and Florida. A few
are coming down from Atlanta.

What ideas do you have for the cake and decorations?

Would you skip the decorations? Should I make a few grown up 'bags'
for my girlfriends?

I'm at a loss.

My suggestion would be to have what ever kind of party, activity, decoration
you want for the adults to celebrate the day. Have a child cake and perhaps
decorate Morgan's table or chair in kid style so you can get some cute
pictures. If one or two other kids show up I'd be sure to have a bag of
something for them, the adults would be whatever you would ordinarily do for
them if they came from out of town to an event for you.

The 1st b-days are fun but the parties really are fpr the adults ;-) The
babies get over tired and over stimulated....they'd rather bag the whole
thing, lol.
--
Nikki

Old February 7th 05, 05:37 AM
Carol Ann

[...]

I was thinking the same thing. The bags I gave my girlfriends at the
Atlanta babyshower were filled with liquor, candles and Gingerbreadman body
scrub.

I'm thinking along those lines.....

Great idea about the child cake. I was looking online. I could order a big
cake (b/c we LOVE it) and Publix will give us a toddler cake for free. That
would be okay.

Hmmmmmmm......

I've already purchased a few personalized books for her. I just can't
believe it's been nearly a year already.

Old February 7th 05, 05:37 AM
NotMyRealName

What ideas do you have for the cake and decorations?

Would you skip the decorations? Should I make a few grown up 'bags' for
my girlfriends?

For DD's first bday, we did cupcakes and ice cream and gifts on her actual
bday, with just her, DH, and myself. Then a couple of days later, we had
about a dozen close family members (grandparents, aunts, and uncles) over
for a low-key party. With the exception of my grandparents, she was
well-familiar with everyone at the party, so she wasn't overwhelmed at all.
(She's also highly social, so if Morgan tends to be shy, be extra cautious
with the guest list.) We served a buffet lunch (sandwiches, veggies, punch,
that sort of thing) and had cake and ice cream. Since we had a Winnie the
Pooh theme going for baby stuff, we had Pooh decorations for the party, and
balloons in colors to match, with a Pooh 1st bday balloon on her chair. She
loved the balloons and decorations, and it was just the right amount, not
too much and not too little. I did the cake myself and decorated it with
frosting flowers and all in colors to match the decorations. Skipped the
gift bags since DD got presents anyway, and there weren't any other kids
there. It was a nice party, just right for a one-year-old. I got a picture
of DD with each attendee, and I asked each attendee to write her a note or
something to commemorate the occasion. That was really sweet, because
everyone's personality came through on their note -- my mom and I noted what
DD enjoyed about the party so she'll be able to know what she was like at
that age, my SIL (who is a writer) made up a spontaneous poem about DD, my
teenage sister drew pictures, etc. They're a lovely memory for her
scrapbook.

Mostly the party is for you, so take lots of pictures and enjoy!

--
-Sara
Mommy to DD, 2 3/4

Old February 7th 05, 07:23 AM
Jenrose

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
Morgan's birthday is coming up. We are celebrating the traditional Tol
(Korean first birthday). But, I would also like to incorporate an
American side.

I was thinking cake and decorations. There will only be maybe 1 child
there. Since I am an older mom and haven't lived at home for more than 20
years, I don't know any new moms.

My girlfriends are flying in from Maryland, Texas and Florida. A few are
coming down from Atlanta.

What ideas do you have for the cake and decorations?

Remember the purpose of the cake... you make something separate for the
grownups to eat, but what baby gets is a small cake set in front of them
that they get to stick their whole face into. Or fists. It's a photo op...
Putting a cake in front of a one-year-old is as close to "the" American
birthday tradition as I can think.

Now...the one word of caution... if you've been carefully introducing one
food at time, by age, you're going to want to exercise some care about what
is actually *in* that cake. 1st birthday was dd's first exposure to
eggs...and a day or two later she was sick from it. We now know she's
allergic to eggs. So this is something that a parent must evaluate based on
whether a child has shown any allergic tendencies, etc...

Decorations... well, babies like wrapped boxes, but don't care much about
what's inside, IME. Other decorations are for the benefit of photo ops and
adults, IMO, though babies do like sparklies.

Jenrose

Old February 7th 05, 12:39 PM
Sue

First birthdays are more for the adults than the child, so do whatever you
want as far as food and decorations. I made each of my girls a small cake
for them to eat (smash, play in) with a candle on it for their first.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 7th 05, 01:12 PM
Anne Rogers

so what do Koreans do for the 1st birthday, I've heard about the 100 day
celebration, but I don't know much about the 1st bday.

Odd to think that Nathanael is 3 by Korean measurements!

Anne

Old February 7th 05, 01:36 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Carol Ann wrote:

Morgan's birthday is coming up. We are celebrating the traditional Tol
(Korean first birthday). But, I would also like to incorporate an
American side.

I was thinking cake and decorations. There will only be maybe 1 child
there. Since I am an older mom and haven't lived at home for more than
20 years, I don't know any new moms.

My girlfriends are flying in from Maryland, Texas and Florida. A few
are coming down from Atlanta.

What ideas do you have for the cake and decorations?

Would you skip the decorations? Should I make a few grown up 'bags' for
my girlfriends?

I'm at a loss.

A first birthday party is for the adults, not the child ;-)
Plan it like you would any other adult party. All we did differently
was have presents for the baby and have a cake the baby could dig
into. With your friends flying in for this, I would concentrate
on making it a fun time for your friends. Morgan will have a blast
with almost anything. I don't think you need favors, though I
suppose you could do them if you really felt like it.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 8th 05, 05:48 AM
Irrational Number

Jenrose wrote:

"Carol Ann" wrote in message

Morgan's birthday is coming up. We are celebrating the traditional Tol
(Korean first birthday). But, I would also like to incorporate an
American side.

[...]
Now...the one word of caution... if you've been carefully introducing one
food at time, by age, you're going to want to exercise some care about what
is actually *in* that cake. 1st birthday was dd's first exposure to
eggs...and a day or two later she was sick from it. We now know she's
allergic to eggs. So this is something that a parent must evaluate based on
whether a child has shown any allergic tendencies, etc...

Yep... For weeks I was experimenting with
egg-less, wheat-less, dairy-less cakes and
siccing them on my coworkers, who tried to
be polite... We ended up just giving
Pillbug a taste of the adult cake... I
didn't want to mess up his clothes; I'd
gotten him a special Chinese martial-arts
style outfit.

-- Anita --

Old February 8th 05, 06:57 AM
Jamie Clark

I think the first birthday is better celebrated as an adult event -- you
have survived the first year of parenting and babyhood. Morgan won't
remember this birthday, but you and your friends will. Get her a silly hat
and cake if you want, but I'd do the food and decor to suit you.

Congrats! You've made it!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels: