My Baby will not sleep through the night

Old June 15th 07, 10:18 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Di

Default My Baby will not sleep through the night

Hi All,

I am looking for any advice on how I can get my 10 month old to sleep
through the night, he currently wakes up every 1-2 hours. He will not
sleep in his cot for longer then 20 mins so I am forced to let him
sleep with me so I at least get some sleep. I am always so tired and
would give anything for a decent night sleep.

Di

Old June 15th 07, 04:51 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

"Di" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I am looking for any advice on how I can get my 10 month old to sleep
through the night, he currently wakes up every 1-2 hours. He will not
sleep in his cot for longer then 20 mins so I am forced to let him
sleep with me so I at least get some sleep. I am always so tired and
would give anything for a decent night sleep.

Di

For me, I didn't try to "encourage" my kids to sleep through the night until
a bit later -- past 12 months. In my mind, anything under a year was a
baby, and babies don't sleep through, so I just accepted it. Once we passed
the 12 month mark, I got more serious about it. But, both of my kids slept
in their own rooms, in their cribs, for at least 3-4 hours at a time.

How are you feeding him, and what is he eating during the day and at night?
With my second daughter, she was eating solids but not much, and not
drinking much milk/formula during the day, even at 14 months. But, at
night, she was easily eating 8-16 ounces. So for her, to get enough
calories during a 24 hour period, she had to wake up at night to stock up.
One day I just decided to stop giving the night time bottles. We did it
cold turkey, and she was mad, but I checked on her in her crib every 5, 10,
15 and 20 minutes and did not give in. I didn't get much sleep that night,
but the next day, she suddenly began to eat a lot during the day, and then,
just as suddenly, slept for longer and longer at night.

You have two issues in my mind, and they may need to be addressed
seperately. Issue one is that he will only sleep with you. Issue two is
that he wakes every hour or two in the night. If you can determine why he's
waking in the night (to eat, or he's cold, or whatever), then you can
address that issue, and then work on the other.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old June 15th 07, 05:50 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lucy-lu

"Di" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I am looking for any advice on how I can get my 10 month old to sleep
through the night, he currently wakes up every 1-2 hours. He will not
sleep in his cot for longer then 20 mins so I am forced to let him
sleep with me so I at least get some sleep. I am always so tired and
would give anything for a decent night sleep.

Di

How much is he sleeping during the day? A about the same age, I cut Jessie's
two 1 hour naps (morning and afternoon) to one longe nap in the
mid-afternoon. She's desperate to get to sleep by bed time? It's also
important to have a good routine. At 9 o'clock, no matter where we are now,
she sleeps. If she wakes during the night, I give her a little milk, but I
won't talk to her or pick her up. I've also never put the light on when she
has woken, so that she knows that getting up is no fun, and doesn't wake
herself up properly. Jessica's 1 in just over a week, and she sleeps from
about 9pm til 7am ish, so although it's hard, it is worth it! I let her have
a little snack an hour or so before bed, then I put her pyjamas on and do
her nappy. Then I put the same chill out music on at bedtime every night, so
that she knows it's bed time. I cram her full of milk and she's powerless to
resist the sleep!

Hope this helps, if even a little

Lucy x

Old June 16th 07, 05:38 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nancy

On Jun 15, 5:18 am, Di wrote:
Hi All,

I am looking for any advice on how I can get my 10 month old to sleep
through the night, he currently wakes up every 1-2 hours. He will not
sleep in his cot for longer then 20 mins so I am forced to let him
sleep with me so I at least get some sleep. I am always so tired and
would give anything for a decent night sleep.

Di

Hi Di ,I went through the same thing with my first child. I was breast
feeding and she would wake up all night long .When she was 13 months I
talked to my pedia. about it. He said we had to let her cry. We did
and the first night she cried over 30 minutes. The next night it was
15 and then she started sleeping through. I am an RN and have since
learned better ways. Go check on him every 15 minutes or so and let
him know you are there but don't pick him up. You may have to repeat
this several times . You can pat him on the back but DON"T pick him
up. He will start sleeping soon. Babies actually need to cry. We had
twins three years later and I had to let them fuss. They never had a
problem sleeping. I felt so stupid that I went through so much with my
first. I now know the crying can be a sign of fatique and its their
way of letting out tension. Hang in there Nancy

Old June 16th 07, 05:58 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sarah Vaughan

Di wrote:
Hi All,

I am looking for any advice on how I can get my 10 month old to sleep
through the night, he currently wakes up every 1-2 hours. He will not
sleep in his cot for longer then 20 mins so I am forced to let him
sleep with me so I at least get some sleep. I am always so tired and
would give anything for a decent night sleep.

How do you put him to bed for naps and in the evening? What sort of
routine does he have? What does he do when he wakes up in the night,
and what do you do?

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Old June 18th 07, 06:24 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

On Jun 15, 2:18 am, Di wrote:
Hi All,

I am looking for any advice on how I can get my 10 month old to sleep
through the night, he currently wakes up every 1-2 hours. He will not
sleep in his cot for longer then 20 mins so I am forced to let him
sleep with me so I at least get some sleep. I am always so tired and
would give anything for a decent night sleep.

Di

I had to let my kid cry it out. i did it one week when my husband was
out of town, because it was harder for him to hear the crying. but, i
was at my wits end. it took about 2 weeks. the first 3 nights it was
about 2 hours long. i used the ferber method and watched the clock.
i went in to check on him exactly (EXACTLY) as instructed. using the
clock, kept me sane. i also used ear plugs to reduce, not eliminate
the crying. by the 4-5 day, the crying was down to less than 1 hour.
by the 6-7 day, it went down to 15-30mins. by the second week, he was
trained, BUT you still need to reinforce the training sometimes. he
will cry again. its not over. but now, months later, he sleeps like
a dream and i have my sanity back. in my opinion, he is healthier in
the long run because his sleep is undisturbed now. i wish i could do
this to his naps too, but have not had the strength.