38 week visit

Old March 26th 04, 12:59 AM
Nan

Default 38 week visit

38w3d today and all is well :-)
I got my favorite OB out of the 4 in the practice.
I would *love* to have him on call when I go into labor!

He agreed internal exams are pointless, and he doesn't do them unless
the patient requests them.

We discussed my birthplan, and as he was looking it over, he stated
they already do the things I specified as wanting, as a matter of
course.

I had a few questions that I got great answers to, the main one being
my wanting to know just what may indicate a repeat c-section, since
I'll be admitted as a VBAC labor. Essentially, the same things that a
section would be indicated for a typical vaginal delivery... extreme
fetal distress or life/death situation.
I'd been worrying this, as I didn't want any arbitrary limits being
set.
Basically, my labor is being viewed as just that.... a labor. It's
not a "trial of labor", or one that will be over-engineered as a
special case.
The only indication that I'll be different from a typical labor is
that I'll have constant fetal monitoring per hospital policy (at least
the monitors are portable, so I can move around), I'll have a hep
lock, and I'll be typed and cross-matched in case surgery occurs and
blood is needed.

So I'm feeling *very* relaxed and at ease, and very pleased that this
is going to go the way I wanted :-)

Nan
Old March 26th 04, 01:26 AM
Sophie

[...]

Did your Dr mention anything about checking your incision for rupture by
ultrasound? I had my big u/s today and asked the tech to check my incision.
She said she couldn't see it but she could see if there was scar tissue or
adhesions or if it was already ripping. Not particularly encouraging so I'm
going to ask my Dr at my next appointment. Just curious though.

Old March 26th 04, 01:38 AM
Nan

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:26:49 -0500, "Sophie"
wrote:

Did your Dr mention anything about checking your incision for rupture by
ultrasound? I had my big u/s today and asked the tech to check my incision.
She said she couldn't see it but she could see if there was scar tissue or
adhesions or if it was already ripping. Not particularly encouraging so I'm
going to ask my Dr at my next appointment. Just curious though.

No, my scar has never been an issue at any of my visits, or at either
u/s.

Nan

Old March 26th 04, 11:59 AM
Jill

"Nan" wrote
Basically, my labor is being viewed as just that.... a labor. It's
not a "trial of labor", or one that will be over-engineered as a
special case.

That's great to hear! If I ever end up needing a c-section I would certainly
want my next labor to be treated this way for a VBAC.

Glad your appointment went so well! You're getting close!

Jill

Old March 26th 04, 02:41 PM
Nan

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:43:25 -0600, "Nikki" wrote:

Nan wrote:

So I'm feeling *very* relaxed and at ease, and very pleased that this
is going to go the way I wanted :-)

Well that is just fantastic. I bet these last couple weeks and the big day
are just as easy!!!

I hope so, but at least this is one less (big) worry on my mind!

Nan

Old March 26th 04, 02:43 PM
Nikki

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 26th 04, 05:11 PM
Sophie

wrote:

Did your Dr mention anything about checking your incision for rupture by
ultrasound? I had my big u/s today and asked the tech to check my

incision.
She said she couldn't see it but she could see if there was scar tissue

or
adhesions or if it was already ripping. Not particularly encouraging so

I'm
going to ask my Dr at my next appointment. Just curious though.

No, my scar has never been an issue at any of my visits, or at either
u/s.

Nan

Okay, just wondered how other people's Drs dealt with it.

Old March 26th 04, 07:37 PM
Nan

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:11:45 -0500, "Sophie"
wrote:

"Nan" wrote
No, my scar has never been an issue at any of my visits, or at either
u/s.

Nan

Okay, just wondered how other people's Drs dealt with it.

I do have a classic incision scar externally and dh noticed it getting
stretched, not long ago (it's not as if I can see it, lol) and I can
feel it getting tighter as I'd gotten larger so I mentioned concern to
the doctor, but he didn't have a concern about my low-transverse
uterine scar.

Nan

Old March 26th 04, 07:56 PM
Sophie

I do have a classic incision scar externally and dh noticed it getting
stretched, not long ago

Which way is classic - vertical? Mine's horizontal. I can barely see it
now, it just looks like I have a good crease from my underwear band or
something.

(it's not as if I can see it, lol)

Lol - I remember someone asking here not too long ago about what a scar
would look like months and years later - I had to go look in the mirror.

and I can
feel it getting tighter as I'd gotten larger so I mentioned concern to
the doctor, but he didn't have a concern about my low-transverse
uterine scar.

Nan

Mine hasn't bothered me, internal or external. I did have a burning pain
one day across the bottom of my abs, as it were. The Dr said where the
external scar is has nothing to do with the internal one, so we just put it
down to normal stretching and stuff. I honestly can't say I'm worried about
rupturing (for a few reasons) but I'm interested in how Drs deal with the
issue.

Old March 26th 04, 08:01 PM
Nan

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:56:58 -0500, "Sophie"
wrote:

I do have a classic incision scar externally and dh noticed it getting
stretched, not long ago

Which way is classic - vertical? Mine's horizontal. I can barely see it
now, it just looks like I have a good crease from my underwear band or
something.

Yep, mine's vertical. My blood is positive for Kell Antigen, and
apparently there was none available in the hospital bank the night I
had to have surgery. The doc said a "bikini cut" could possibly bleed
more, so I said "whatever, do what you have to do".

(it's not as if I can see it, lol)

Lol - I remember someone asking here not too long ago about what a scar
would look like months and years later - I had to go look in the mirror.

Mine isn't even that noticeable. Well, it is now... but it's not when
I'm not huge.

and I can
feel it getting tighter as I'd gotten larger so I mentioned concern to
the doctor, but he didn't have a concern about my low-transverse
uterine scar.

Nan

Mine hasn't bothered me, internal or external. I did have a burning pain
one day across the bottom of my abs, as it were. The Dr said where the
external scar is has nothing to do with the internal one, so we just put it
down to normal stretching and stuff. I honestly can't say I'm worried about
rupturing (for a few reasons) but I'm interested in how Drs deal with the
issue.

Yeah, I think mine was mainly just my skin stretching. I just kept
putting moisturizer on it and that helped.

Nan

Date for c-section and 36 week update Daye Pregnancy 16 December 20th 03 07:31 PM
2 week post-op visit JNJ Pregnancy 5 November 2nd 03 08:41 PM
First midwife/postnatal care nurse visit Elly Pregnancy 4 September 23rd 03 06:06 PM
33 Week Appt--complaining, mostly! GoofeeGyrl Pregnancy 11 July 31st 03 04:12 AM
The OB visit & 32 week update (long) GoofeeGyrl Pregnancy 15 July 17th 03 03:14 PM