Is my milk drying up? (very long, sorry)

Old January 18th 04, 08:37 AM
John Allen

Default Is my milk drying up? (very long, sorry)

Hello,

My son is 5 1/2 months old and has been on solids since he was about 16
weeks old. He has a really good appetite and is well.
He still breast-feeds 5-6 times a day, although it is more of a snack than a
feed, and still has a feed once a night for about 30 mins.
I think I may have made a booboo as I was giving him solids then waiting for
about 45 mins before offering him the boob as I didn't want to overload his
belly, consequently he will only feed for about 10 mins each side.
He was weighed at clinic this week and only put on 2 1/2 ounces in 2 weeks,
I wasn't too bothered as the same thing happened when he was 18 weeks old
and then he put on 5 1/2 ounces in the following 2 weeks, and then 9 1/2
ounces 2 weeks after that. The health visitor wasn't too fussed either, she
said he was happy, alert, looked great and would make it up which he did.
This week, a different health visitor took me to one side and gave me the
impression that this was a problem, and that his weight gain was slow, I
explained that the same thing happened previously, and that he was well.
She said I needed to return and have him measured to make sure that he was
growing properly, and suggested breast feeding before solids and offering
him the breast more often, or my milk would dry up. I told her that he has
the breast whenever he wants, but it was like talking to a brick wall.
My husband was with me, and he suggested that I take what she said with a
large pinch of salt, as anyone could see he was fine.
Now, I'm not one to worry, but I have noticed that since he has been weaned
my breasts don't feel as full as they used to. Before, when I woke up they
were like rocks and used to leak as soon as I even thought about my son, and
to top it all, my af came back yesterday.
I really don't want to bottle feed, but at the same time, I want to do the
right thing by my son.
I'm hoping you can put my mind at rest, as I have read some really good
advice on this newsgroup.
Thanks, Wendy

Old January 18th 04, 03:21 PM
Leslie

Well, I can't judge your baby's health based on his weight gain, but your HV is
right about one thing--you need to nurse BEFORE solids. I think it's
recommended that you do this throughout the first year.

Breast milk is much more nutritious for a baby than solids. At your baby's
age, many babies are still completely bf, and in fact that's the recommendation
for his age.

That your breasts aren't engorged anymore doesn't necessarily mean you are
losing your supply--that happens naturally as the body gets used to doing its
job. Still, I would bet your supply has taken a hit from the reduced nursings.
A few "snacks" a day is not enough milk for a young baby!

You don't need to resort to bottles, though! Just nurse more! Offer when he
doesn't ask, nurse BEFORE solids, even eliminate the solids for awhile if you
need to so that he will nurse. To increase supply, drink lots of water, eat
oatmeal, and take some fenugreek. There are other things you can try too, but
I'd start there.

HTH,

Leslie
Old January 18th 04, 03:22 PM
Sue

The only advice I can give you, is to slow back down on the solids and/or
cut them off completely for a while. Offer the breast first before feeding
him and then offer solids. The current recommendation for introducing solids
is six months. So you *did* start solids quite a bit early than the
recommendation is. If you have any allergies in your family, you need to be
more careful. Keep offering the breast and your supply should ramp back up.
Keeping yourself hydrated and eating some oatmeal on a daily basis should
also help your supply. But, I personally would back off on the solids and
breastfeed him more. I tend to not worry about weight gain as long as the
baby is alert, meeting milestones and happy. I had a true problem with dd1
with weight gain. It was do to her medical condition, so I know what weight
gaining problems are. The majority of babies don't have a problem. It's
usually the mom wanting a fat baby and not all babies can be fat. Some
babies are slim and tall (I've got one). You also have to see what other
family members are like. Remember as long as the baby is following h/her OWN
curve, meaning they are going up on their curve, all should be well.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 18th 04, 05:41 PM
CY

"John Allen" wrote in message
Hello,

My son is 5 1/2 months old and has been on solids since he was about 16
weeks old. He has a really good appetite and is well.

As the other posters have said this is VERY young to start solids and most
certainly will compromise your supply.

He still breast-feeds 5-6 times a day, although it is more of a snack than

feed, and still has a feed once a night for about 30 mins.

5-6 snacks a day isn't enough for a 5 1/2 yr old, but it isn't too late to
slowly back off the solids and offer breast more often.

I think I may have made a booboo as I was giving him solids then waiting

for
about 45 mins before offering him the boob as I didn't want to overload

his
belly, consequently he will only feed for about 10 mins each side.

Simple to do it the other way around, feed until he is done and then offer
solids as a top up - if he won't take any solids, no big deal. BM is MUCH
more important.

[...]

I think she is giving you good advice actually. Only offering breast when
he asks is not necessarily the way to go. Breast first then solids is best.
And she is right about the milk drying up, as you are already observing. It
won't dry up completely while you are still nursing but your supply could be
compromised. The more you nurse the better.

My husband was with me, and he suggested that I take what she said with a
large pinch of salt, as anyone could see he was fine.

I think what she said is good advice. Offer breast more often and see what
happen wrt his weight. What kind of solids are you giving him??

Now, I'm not one to worry, but I have noticed that since he has been

weaned
my breasts don't feel as full as they used to.

This is actually pretty normal at this stage though, as your breasts have
got used to bf'ing and your supply has adjusted to what you are putting out.
Leaking and engorgement are more a factor of muscle tone/shape and once
everything gets used to bf'ing generally that stuff evens out.

Before, when I woke up they
were like rocks and used to leak as soon as I even thought about my son,

and
to top it all, my af came back yesterday.

Well, AF can come back at different times for everyone and often will when
night nursing stops or lessens. Since your son only wakes to nurse once at
night this is probably a factor, as is the reduced nursing during the day.

I really don't want to bottle feed, but at the same time, I want to do the
right thing by my son.
I'm hoping you can put my mind at rest, as I have read some really good
advice on this newsgroup.

Bottle feeding won't help the problem, and it certainl isn't "the right
thing by your son". Nursing more often is the best thing for weight gain.
A baby doesn't need solids at 5 months old and even at 6 months solids
should just be being introduced, so focus less on that and more on the
boobies and your son will be just fine. Be aware that it might take a few
days for your supply to catch back up, though...

Thanks, Wendy

Old January 18th 04, 06:28 PM
Dawn Lawson

CY wrote:

5-6 snacks a day isn't enough for a 5 1/2 yr old,

*g*
But it doesn;t matter quite so much as they can open the fridge
themselves by then.

Dawn

Old January 19th 04, 08:28 AM
KC

First of all, I think most babies only drink about 5 or 10 minutes a
feed by the time they are 5 and 1/2 months old. They are good at
getting milk out by then, so don't worry about how long the baby
drinks.

It is good to breastfeed before a meal of solids, so you should switch
the order on that.

I started solids at 4 months too, and it did not have a negative
impact on my supply or our bf relationship. My baby is now 8 months.

KC