Drinking water and pooping

Old January 18th 04, 11:29 PM

Default Drinking water and pooping

DS has been obsessed with out drinking cups lately. Last night, he kept
trying to drink out of my cup. Since my cup had sweetened iced tea in it,
DH gave DS a small cup to 'drink' out of. He very carefully watched us and
mimiced us every time we took a sip out of our cups. Very cute! We decided
to put a couple of teaspoons of water in it to see how he would react.
Logic being that since he would be starting solids soon (6 months on
2/11), it probably wouldn't hurt to let him start learning to use a cup.
He drank out of the cup surprisingly well and seemed excited every time he
got some water. It didn't appear that he swalled much though since his bib
was soaking wet. However, he has pooped like crazy all day today. He
normally only poops every 4 - 7 days. He pooped last night right before
the water was given and then went to bed. He's now pooped three times
today and they've all been fairly substantial. I know people have told me
that you can give babies water to get their bowels moving if they seem
constipated, but it seems a little unbelievable that a tiny bit of water
could get him going that much! Do you think this was caused by the water
or just an unrelated coincidence? We're not giving him water again any
time soon!

We also made some 'momsicles' last night for him to try to night while we
eat dinner. That should be entertaining!

Manda
Old January 18th 04, 11:48 PM
CY

We also made some 'momsicles' last night

LOL. That's a funny word!

Old January 19th 04, 01:33 PM

Default Momsicles WAS Drinking water and pooping

CY wrote:

We also made some 'momsicles' last night

LOL. That's a funny word!

That's what they called them on the Kellymom site. They were a big hit by
the way. We made them by pouring a little milk in a bottle cap and then
sticking a rubber pacifier in it and freezing. I took some cute pictures.
After a little slurping, a big chunk broke off in his mouth and that kind
of freaked him out for a minute. I fished it out and then fed him little
slushy chunks with my fingers. He did pretty good. He'd take the chunk in
his mouth and move it around like he was chewing it, but when he went to
swallow a lot of it would run out of his mouth. Not bad for a first
attempt at 'eating' though. He's staying home with Daddy today (he's got
the day off work and I don't) and he's going to feed him another one since
he has such a hard time with bottles. I figure it's another way to trick
him into taking another ounce or so while I'm gone.

Manda