baby food question

Old December 30th 03, 08:42 PM
Rob and Laura

Default baby food question

Oh I 1st started with sweet potatoe and only gave white potatoe in the last
month or so.

--
Laura, TTC #2
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

"Nina" wrote in message
t...
I think they usually like them, I guess the concern was that they arent

very
nutrient dense. I guess Im just suprised to hear so many people use them

as
a first food. But its no different than rice or other cereal, Iguess its
just that those are fortified.

"Rob and Laura" wrote in message
news
I have been giving Izabella potatoes since around 6 months and she loves
em!!

--
Laura, TTC #2
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**
And 2 felines *Ashes(3) & George (5)*
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/izabellawelburn/

"Nina" wrote in message
t...

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
"Nina" wrote in message
et...
"Rob and Laura" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I always seem to have a lot of food questions! Anyways here goes
another
one.
Alot of people are telling me that by the age of 1 Izabella

should
be
off
of baby jar food. And that in the morning I should not be giving

her
baby
cereal that she should also be off of this. I have tried this

past
week
or
2 to give her cooked potatoes, carrorts, all of her veggies

cooked
and
mashed up witha bit of texture. She has been eating turkey

slices
(the
kind you use for sandwiches) and some real bananas (not the jar

kind)
but
she has no interest at all in mashed veggies (mind you she loves

the
jarred
kind) And as far as cereal goes well what would I use in its

place.
She
hates yogurt, any kinds of cheese, I just would not know what to

give
her
in
place of this. Should I be worried and keep trying this

textured
food
in
hopes she will be off jarred food soon? What have you all done?

It
seems
Izabella really does no eat alot of anything, even though it has

been
offered to her, no chicken, no pasta nothing like that. I get

worried
over
everything help!!

Its weird that so many people give their babies white potatoes, I

always
heard they were pretty non-essential nutritionally, along with

apple
juice.
Try giving her very very soft cubes , or even strips, of cooked

carrot.
Very
soft peas, sweet potatoes etc. If the turkey slices arent made

with
additives, let her eat those and forget chicken.
It sounds like she prefers foods she can hold on her own.

potatoes have loads if vitamin c and potassium and if you eat the

skin
loads of iron, thats no junk food. Apples themselves are full of
potassium and vit a but cheap juice looses most of that.

I know potatoes arent nutritionally void, I kinda studied nutrition

for
while, though didnt get to child and infant nutrition in depth. But

most
people I hear of giving infants potatoes are giving them to them

mashed,
or
boiled with no skin. I've never heard potatoes recommended as a first

food
for babies, but this is the US, maybe in other places its different.
As far as juice, we were taught to give them the fruit and water,

instead
of
the fruit made into juice.

Old January 2nd 04, 03:27 PM
Lucy

"Rob and Laura" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I always seem to have a lot of food questions! Anyways here goes another
one.
Alot of people are telling me that by the age of 1 Izabella should be off
of baby jar food.

Yeah. I get that a lot too, with my 13 month old DD. In the last couple of
weeks, she has actually taken to bread/cereal type things (bread, toast,
garlic bread, Cheerios, crackers, nutri-grain bars) and fruits as finger
foods. She still won't eat meat or veggies unless from a jar.

All I can say is to keep offering the stuff you want her to eat and she will
when she will. I've given up worrying about it (for now anyway - I'll
probably start again sometime :-) ). Until she's eating all the same foods
as you, as long as she's getting a balanced diet overall (whether baby food
or regular food) she's fine.

Lucy

Old January 20th 04, 01:59 PM
Liz S. Reynolds

In article h92Ib.35344$J77.10584@fed1read07,
CY wrote:
her other kinds of cereal (not baby cereal) like dry Cheerios, Rice Krispies
(this was her first real finger food and she LOVED it), Chex (when she's a

I found a 100% oat "O" cereal, Heritage O's or something like that, when
Grace was under a year, in ahealth food store.

-Liz