Unsterile milk

Old January 13th 04, 05:11 PM
ERIC ANDERSON

Default Unsterile milk

"Jacqui" wrote in message
. 7...
I had a massive leak while feeding T on Sunday, and as my pump was in
pieces in the sink asked DH for a bottle to just hold under the leak.
We know that the one he gave me was clean, what we are not sure about
it whether it had been sterilized or just air-dried. I collected about
6oz of milk (the amount I leak is really out of control, given that T
is 24 weeks) but now we are not quite sure what to do with it.

I've ruled out including it in my milk bank donation, for obvious
reasons. We are not entirely sure about giving it to T as EBM (it has
been refrigerated ever since I sealed the bottle, btw), but I wondered
about heating it (scalding it?) and using it to mix cereal or similar.
Any opinions?

Data points: I have chucked more than 20oz of definitely-not-sterile
milk down the sink /in extremis/, I don't have any supply problems
other than oversupply (but I donate), I feel wasteful throwing it away
if he can have it in some form.

Jac

I've never sterilized bottles for EBM, not even when my children were
newborns. With baby #1 we didn't have a dishwasher, so I'd wash bottles by
hand and let them air dry. I wouldn't worry about using it as EBM for baby.

Old January 13th 04, 05:12 PM
Anne Rogers

since he's 24 weeks I would give it to him, I've not been sterilising my
pump for several weeks now

Old January 13th 04, 05:33 PM
Sue

Oh my, you don't need to sterilize anything at this point. The baby is six
months old, right? Just refridgerate and let him have it.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 14th 04, 04:12 AM
Irrational Number

Larry McMahan wrote:
We NEVER sterilized bottles.

Same here. I learned from all the other parents who
told us they sterilized everything for the first child
and picked up the binky from the floor and gave it back
to the third child... So, I jumped ahead! I figure
every child needs his/her quota of germs.

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old January 14th 04, 04:38 PM
Maryilee

Data points: I have chucked more than 20oz of definitely-not-sterile
milk down the sink /in extremis/, I don't have any supply problems
other than oversupply (but I donate), I feel wasteful throwing it away
if he can have it in some form.

Jac

Give it to him! Heck, it's probably less contaminated than it would be if it
was pumped, since it won't go through the pump parts. I never sterilzed my
dd's bottles before pumping into them. They were clean and from the
dishwasher, but the pump was usually hand washed and air dried.
Maryilee

Maggie's Christmas page
http://www.angelfire.com/vi/maggie/c...spictures.html
Info on hereditary spherocytosis
http://www.angelfire.com/vi/maggie/spherocytosis.html
Old January 14th 04, 08:28 PM

Jacqui writes:
[...]

(Didn't get original since newsserver was on the fritz)

I've never sterilized my collection bottles. Actually, I pump three times
a day at work and only even use soap to wash them after the final pump.
I just rinse with hot water after the other sessions. Most people are much
more paranoid about such things that I am, but I don't see why there would
be anything wrong with the milk if it was in a clean bottle. I probably
wouldn't donate it because it could be going to babies with less than
perfect immune systems, but if your baby is healthy, I don't see why it
would be a problem.

Manda
Old January 15th 04, 12:02 PM
Linz

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:59:17 +0000 (UTC), Jacqui
wrote:

I've ruled out including it in my milk bank donation, for obvious
reasons.

Thank you for the reminder. I've just arranged to go to Huddersfield
Royal this weekend for blood tests and to get the bottles/bags/labels,
so I can start pumping too!
--
Linz
YB: 12 weeks, around 13lbs
Old January 15th 04, 12:35 PM
Anne Rogers

Thank you for the reminder. I've just arranged to go to Huddersfield
Royal this weekend for blood tests and to get the bottles/bags/labels,
so I can start pumping too!

good for you, apparently it's too late for me to start donating now (ds is
7.5 months) I only ever just had enough for him til very recently, now I'm
gushing and have heaps to spare, but I can't give it to anyone :-(.

Old January 15th 04, 07:03 PM
Linz

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:35:24 +0000, Anne Rogers
wrote:

Thank you for the reminder. I've just arranged to go to Huddersfield
Royal this weekend for blood tests and to get the bottles/bags/labels,
so I can start pumping too!

good for you, apparently it's too late for me to start donating now (ds is
7.5 months) I only ever just had enough for him til very recently, now I'm
gushing and have heaps to spare, but I can't give it to anyone :-(.

Well, it's a shame it's too late for the milk bank now, but it's great
that you've got such a good supply! Are you storing any in case you
need any for DS, for mixing with weaning foods or whatever?
--
Linz
YB: 12 weeks, 14lbs 14oz