Ideas for a playtime (5 year old)

Old January 25th 07, 01:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Dominika

Default Ideas for a playtime (5 year old)

Hi every1.

I have a 5 year old boy. I would love to spend some more time with him
one on one. After i pick him up from school i just tend to put a tv on
for him and. But i would love to sit down and make things with him.
Arts and things.

So if you have any good ideas please let me know.
What do you do with your kids?
Anything would be great.

Thanks a lot.

Old January 25th 07, 01:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeanne

Dominika wrote:
Hi every1.

I have a 5 year old boy. I would love to spend some more time with him
one on one. After i pick him up from school i just tend to put a tv on
for him and. But i would love to sit down and make things with him.
Arts and things.

So if you have any good ideas please let me know.
What do you do with your kids?
Anything would be great.

Thanks a lot.

I'm not artsy or crafty at all so I can't help you with the arts.

I take DD (9) and DS (3.5) to a neighborhood park (several other
children from school go there but when we started it was just us). It's
cold now but they really like it so we go even when temps are in the
30s(F). Once I took a kite, they couldn't get it to fly but they had
fun running around with it. DD also takes dolls and other stuff. DS
will gather sticks and pinecones and make a "fire" or "fireplace".

When it's really bad weather, I let them rollerskate in the house
(another reason to forego furniture). We may bake brownies (at 5, he can
stir and pour). DS likes to do jigsaw puzzles, in an afternoon we may do
4 or 5 (25-50 piece puzzles). Both kids like to build things so we do
Legos, blocks, and most recently Toobers and Zots (?).
Old January 25th 07, 02:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"Dominika" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi every1.

I have a 5 year old boy. I would love to spend some more time with him
one on one. After i pick him up from school i just tend to put a tv on
for him and. But i would love to sit down and make things with him.
Arts and things.

So if you have any good ideas please let me know.
What do you do with your kids?
Anything would be great.

Thanks a lot.

You can find lots of artsy ideas at Crayola.com as well as you local Target
stores.

Besides the ideas that Jeanne had, kids love toy trains.You should be able
to find a starter kit for around $40. The kit would have an engine, a few
cars, track and transformer. Bachman, IMHO, is the best for this.

Jeff

Old January 25th 07, 05:35 PM posted to misc.kids
stasya

On Jan 25, 6:15 am, "Dominika" wrote:
Hi every1.

I have a 5 year old boy. I would love to spend some more time with him
one on one. After i pick him up from school i just tend to put a tv on
for him and. But i would love to sit down and make things with him.
Arts and things.

So if you have any good ideas please let me know.
What do you do with your kids?
Anything would be great.

Thanks a lot.

I don't do crafts with my kids. (I couldn't care less about crafts, but
my babysitter loves crafts, so they get their creative wiggles out with
her.) However, we do play a lot of games, card games, board games. Most
of the kids I know *love* card games. And they can take either 5
minutes, or an hour, so its very flexible.

Stasya

Old January 25th 07, 05:36 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

"Dominika" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi every1.

I have a 5 year old boy. I would love to spend some more time with him
one on one. After i pick him up from school i just tend to put a tv on
for him and. But i would love to sit down and make things with him.
Arts and things.

So if you have any good ideas please let me know.
What do you do with your kids?
Anything would be great.

We walk around the block, which DS loves. I walk, he rides a bike or
scooter or something. We go to the park, but he goes off on his own there.
We play board games together.

Old January 25th 07, 06:46 PM posted to misc.kids
Knit Chic

"Dominika" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi every1.

I have a 5 year old boy. I would love to spend some more time with him
one on one. After i pick him up from school i just tend to put a tv on
for him and. But i would love to sit down and make things with him.
Arts and things.

So if you have any good ideas please let me know.
What do you do with your kids?
Anything would be great.

Thanks a lot.

We do quite a bit of cooking, DD can stir, mash or tear. There is also
playdoh, playing card games, art projects, yoga, going for walks, putting
dish soap on the countertop and drawing pics into the soap (you will also
end up w/ a very clean countertop) And when I'm not in the mood to do
something side by side w/ my children we will often just sit down and read.
I think it's important for kids not only to read but to see the adults in
their life read as well.

Old January 25th 07, 08:12 PM posted to misc.kids
Me Myself and I

"Dominika" wrote in message
So if you have any good ideas please let me know.
What do you do with your kids?

* I allow my kids free access to a block of A4 printer paper and they are
free to draw whenever the like. I often sit with them while they draw.

* We do a lot of pasta pictures. A piece of cardboard and then they stick
shaped pasta on with PVA clue. When it's totally dry we spray paint it
gold. We also make picture frames this way.

* King and Queen crowns we also make using thick coloured paper. Cut a
wide strip of paper (about 6 inches) that's long enough to go around the
intended persons head, and secure. At the top cut out multiple large V
shapes to look like the spikes of the crown, then stick on a small coloured
circle to each point to look like the "jewels". Then they paste multiple
other jewels around the outside. My DD2 also likes to write her name on
hers and draw pictures of people.

* Make up a big batch of homemade playdough, get out the rolling pin
cutters and a couple of bread and butter knives and go wild.

* Cut of lots's of different heads, bodies and legs from magazines and have
fun sticking them on A4 paper all mixed up.

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
I am very polite and say "Ank Ooooooo" whenever I'm given something.

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Old January 25th 07, 10:13 PM posted to misc.kids
Grahame

Im not so crafty either, but I did do a couple of things, that might take a
day or two.
I made casts of their hands and feet and when dry painted them. (trying to
get them to do most of the work)
And went and got some butchers paper and made them lay down and trace their
body and then we decorated it.
My kids now 13, 11, 8 all love to look at their 5 yr old stuff
All the best
Fiona

Old January 25th 07, 10:14 PM posted to misc.kids
Grahame

Oh and one more thing......if its pouring rain, (no lightning of course) we
go for a walk, no weather protection. Get soaked!! splash puddles together
etc....then come home to a warm bath.
Fiona

Old January 26th 07, 02:35 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

"Dominika" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi every1.

I have a 5 year old boy. I would love to spend some more time with him
one on one. After i pick him up from school i just tend to put a tv on
for him and. But i would love to sit down and make things with him.
Arts and things.

So if you have any good ideas please let me know.
What do you do with your kids?
Anything would be great.

Thanks a lot.

I'm not so crafty but that is OK because my 5yo gets his fill in school and
is not so interested in arts/crafts at home. He likes to
Play card games
build things with blocks or logs
puzzles
play board games
cook
play dough
read books
to cold here to do outdoor things right now but he likes all that stuff too.

I also have a 7yo so they spend a lot of time playing their own pretend
games